Getting a SECOND 622. Why is it such a problem?

JonUrban

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Eastern Connecticut
I have a 622 that I bought from Claude last year. I also have a 721. I am currently paying $5 or so a month for a "second receiver" fee, which is the owned 622.

If I were to lease another 622 that replaced the 721, the owned 622 should become "second receiver fee" free, since it would be the primary receiver, and the leased 622 would cost me a lease fee.

Will this work? Why are people having so much trouble trying to go to a second 622?

Dish has a 4 tuner lease limit. It could be that Dish considers some of the other boxes as "leased", and they won't lease anymore, requiring you to buy a box. Write your situation to ceo@echostar.com and see if they can fix things for you. They have the authority to change things on your bill and may come-up with a solution that may involve a nominal fee. Let us know what happens.

I was just going to start a thread about getting a second 622 but I'll try asking here first. I hope it's not considered hijacking the thread.

I started a 18 month contract with E* in May of 06 when switching from D*. I leased a 622 for my main theater and a 311 for the living room. A couple of months ago I 'moved' to NYC.

I now am going to buy an LCD HDTV for the master bedroom and would really like to add a second leased 622 for that set. I could give up the 311 without missing it and wouldn't mind upgrading it to a 622 for the bedroom if that's an option. I have a D1000 and D300 with the latter being for 61.5.

Any advice on my best options and any concern I need to have about the 'move'?
I've been considering another move to Chicago since I can get its spotbeam here.
I hate to move from NYC, back here and then again to Chicago and draw that much attention to my account.

IF you are going to lease the receiver from Dish and you want to have them install it , you will need to "move" back to your real service address to get it. IF you are going to have Dish send it to your home , you better specify your real BILLING ADDRESS and you won't have to "move" back. Make sure they do this or you will be found out when they ship it to the wrong address.

I have had many replacement receviers shipped to my BILLING address with no problems but when I leased a 522 a couple of years ago, I "moved" back to my real address to make sure there were no problems. After they installed the 522 I called back the next day and "moved" back to my virtual address to get my locals from another nearby dma.

Dish does not care unless you move every day. The chance any csr will pay attention to the move is quite small. Just don't sound suspicious when you call to "move" back.

I'm on another thread here (started 2 days ago) about this same issue. I have 8 people in my house and 2 HD sets and 2 SD sets. very interested in switching to Dish (from DirectTV) for the HD lineup as well as the 622.

I called twice. Spoke two 2 different CSRs and finally to a supervisor. Flat out "no."
I sent 2 emails, one on Friday and one on Saturday evening, to the CEO address and have heard nothing.

Someone on here was saying we should be glad to get the one 622, since it's now "free" and not expect another "free" unit. Of course, I was not expecting a free unit, but why not a lease fee for the 2nd one? Why not have it at the "old price" of $199.00? The ONLY option I got from all I spoke with was "buy one at retail."

Seems kind of silly to be turning away long-term business.

Well,

Here's what I got back after writing and saying I would be happy to lease/commit/whatever to get the second unit:

"Thanks for the email and your interest in DISH Network programming. Occasionally we allow existing customers to upgrade to a second vip622 HD DVR after a certain amount of time they have been with us. As a new customer, you would get a free vip622 HD DVR but if you needed a second, you would have to purchase it. I would suggest getting an account set up with our new promotion giving you a free 622 and a 625 SD DVR. Normally we do not allow customers to lease to 622’s except in very limited situations.

Sorry this was not more encouraging news. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

________

Don't worry-- I won't let the screen door hit me on my way to Comcast.

Hmmmm. This is interesting feedback and I thank you for it. It looks like leasing another 622 may not be an option and I don't want SD for the bedroom since I ordered an LCD HDTV. The moving info is helpful too and it's good to know I can move several times without trouble.

Maybe I should purchase the 622 and hook it up myself and then 'move' to Chicago. I could switch from 61.5 to 129 while I'm on the roof running the line to the second 622 and then just call them to activate and move. I then wouldn't be starting over on my 18 month commitment and have D* as an option this fall if they were to blow by E* with their HD by then. I would imagine I could recover a good portion of the 622 price on eBay if I had to.

I have 2 622's, 3 211's and 2 311's, Dish provided 1 622 and 2 211's when I joined as a new customer, I bought 1 211 from Dish store and 1 622 off ebay, just make sure the seller has extensive good bid history, I have purchased many past receivers off E-Bay and following the good bid history rule, never had a problem.

I subscribe to the AEP so I have no DVR fees.

Second 622

I was succesful in getting two 622's with the Dishin' It Up by contacting ceo@echostar. The regular CSR would only allow a 622 and a 211. A helpful rep by the name of Mark Duffy at ceo assisted me in getting two 622's instead.

I have a second 622 on it's way but unfourtunatly they are making me wait for an installer to bring it out and install it. This is really pointless because it's going in the exact spot where my other 622 was. Does anybody know a way around this?

I was given the same run around on asking for the two 622s as a new customer. I'm in the same boat with 2 HDTVs. The rep I spoke to yesterday said I could get one 622 for free and a 211 to cover the HDTVs, or pay $549 for the 2nd 622. He stated that I could upgrade the 211 after 6 months to a 622 for $49, which seemed reasonable if true. I have another thread out here confirming the accuracy of the 6months and $49. I hate to lock in for 18mo, with DVR on one of the HDTVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts