Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
Getting analog stuff off an 18" dish.

Well I have a bunch of theses 18" dishings setting around my house and I had to find some uses for them. I was able to get a analog signal off one of them using a P* one output LNBF. I was watching some soccer stuff yesterday around 3 PM EST and the sat was in the 90 to 100 W range. Sorry I did not note the transponder I was on tho.

cool. I tried to get G10 digital with a 24" on Saturday and no go..best was a 15 quality :(

Have to see if I can get anything analog on AMC9 or SBS6 with a smaller dish :)

ken2400 said:
Well I have a bunch of theses 18" dishings setting around my house and I had to find some uses for them. I was able to get a analog signal off one of them using a P* one output LNBF. I was watching some soccer stuff yesterday around 3 PM EST and the sat was in the 90 to 100 W range. Sorry I did not note the transponder I was on tho.

What satellite?
Are you sure you weren't watching Gol TV on EchoStar 8?

18" dish

Iceberg -- When I originally mentioned that I was using an 18" dish to get G10 in the Atlanta area, I had the intention of dismantling everything after a few days, because I didn't expect it to be very dependable.

Well, I was wrong. I am still watching G10 with my ku-band LNBF and 18" dish, and the signal quality has proven to be fairly adequate! Of course, when it rains I lose the weak channels, but otherwise they come in fine, and that's most of the time.

According to the footprint map, you should perhaps be able to get somewhere close to the same quality that I do, especially with a 24" dish.

One thing I have noticed with the 18" dish is that orientation and LNBF skew must be absolute tops, otherwise no go! A 30" dish is quite forgiving in comparison.

Did you put in the extra 30min. to 2hrs necessary to get the ultra-maximum super-duper tweak required? Do you have a manufacturer's LNBF holder that fits your 24" dish and Ku-band LNBF, or did you just bend a piece of flat metal and drill a couple of holes like I did? Perhaps finding some way to increase or decrease your LNBF's distance from the dish might help.

With my dual LNBF holder on the 30" dish, and the 18" fair-weather dish, I get a pretty good selection of channels on 3 satellites. And since I don't use a motor, I get instant access to all of them with only an added diseqc-switch. I'm one happy camper!

I had a 24" dish that would accept a DirecTv LNB. I have a DMSI Dual KU band that looks identical to this that fits right into the pipe. And the best I could get was a 15...if I went off it by 1/8" it went ot zero.

Its no biggie. I have a 30" motorized and a 30" fixed at G10...it was a project I tried Saturday morning (when it was 17 out...brrrr!)

I have an 18" and a legit bracket for it (its when ExpressVu was linear). Might try that some day (not this week....gets dark before I even leave work) :)

Howdy all,
I have a 4 year old 18" Direct tv dish pointed at 101 (dtv1r), and since i was bored last night i decided to hook my satworks up to that dish and blind scan it. Apparently i have something that is not set right, cause i was unable to get any signal quality at all thru the satworks (0%), but i get excellant sig quality and reception off that dish thru my dtv receiver. i know there is nothing i can get FTA off that bird, but i should still get a signal to my satworks, correct?

My plan is to go ahead and point that dish to 119 so i can get the FTA music channels, but first i want to ensure that my new satworks receiver is working properly before i climb up on my roof and reaim the dish.

any ideas as to what i am doing wrong, and/ or what settings i need to change?

Thanks

Since you are using a DBS LNB you have to change the antenna L.O. to 11250, but as you said there is zero there FTA as DirecTV use a different system than FTA and even Dishnetwork, if you changed the LNB to a standard KU LNB (L.O. 10750) and kept the dish pointing at 101W you "MAY" pick up AMC-4 as its at the same orbital position, of course you really need a 30" dish minimum for KU, but it would be a fun experiment : )

hi psb,
I am kinda of confused about the lo setting. in the satworks setup screen i can change from universal to normal LNB, then under that i can change lnb frequency. it seems as if lnb frequency can be set to a range, should both values be set at 11250?
i just want this box to see a bird so i know it works, before climb up on my roof

Just the low (first) L.O. has to be set to 11250 as far as I can remember, I dont have my 3618 hooked up right now but can do if it helps!

Normal LNB

if you change it to normal, you only have one option for a LO, and that would be
5150 for C-Band
10750 for KU Band
11250 for DBS band

Universal setting has a high and low :)

so i should set the lnb to normal and the LO will be correct? from there what do i have to do to be able to see a sat signal? do i have to progam in one of the transponders to be able to see signal strength / quality? sorry if these are silly questions, i just want to make sure the satworks is working properly before i make that long, cold perilous journey to my roof lol

Set the LNB to normal, enter 11250 for the L.O. then do a blind scan see what you get, or as you suggested enter an active TP. but remember most people never do this at 101w as there is zippo there FTA DBS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts