Getting Around Lease

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
I`d like to upgrade to a HD-DVR from my present HD receiver. I don`t want to lease one.
If I were to purchase a previously owned unit and buy a new card, would this get me around the lease?? What would happen when the MPEG-4 unit becomes available?? Would then I be forced into a lease??

AFAIK, If you tell D* you bought it online, you can avoid the lease, just make sure you have them mark the receiver as Owned on your account, as there have been reports of D* trying to mark owned STBs as leased until the customer pointed it out, and, make sure you check online afterwards to make sure it is marked as Owned and not Leased, you may have to be persistent.

Last edited:
Hr10-250

So what happens when the new HD DVR is released?? Does DTV swap it out for my HR10 and is it then considered a "owned" or "leased"?

cspiteri said:
So what happens when the new HD DVR is released?? Does DTV swap it out for my HR10 and is it then considered a "owned" or "leased"?

Well, since the new DVR does not yet exist, I'm not going to lie to you by trying to tell you like I know for sure. because I don't, but, my guess is that if your account is in good standing, and your area requires the mpeg4 able units, they should make you a pretty sweet offer, if not free, maybe CSR roulette would be in order.

If they do _give_ you it for free, or on a sweet deal, you can bet it will be considered leased, however, if some retailers stock the HR20s, allowing you to buy one, then perhaps you can still get it marked as Owned by D* (or perhaps not), it is hard to say at this point in time, maybe some insider satguys member will see this and can be of more help.

Robert from Value Electronics promises HD DVR's bought from him are owned. How he can promise such things given how clueless some CSR's can be I don't know, but he says units will be owned.

herdfan said:
Robert from Value Electronics promises HD DVR's bought from him are owned. How he can promise such things given how clueless some CSR's can be I don't know, but he says units will be owned.[/QUOTEYou will probably have to pay a higher price than the "lease" price.:) ]

boba said:
herdfan said:
Robert from Value Electronics promises HD DVR's bought from him are owned. How he can promise such things given how clueless some CSR's can be I don't know, but he says units will be owned.[/QUOTEYou will probably have to pay a higher price than the "lease" price.:) ]
That would be expected as far as I am concerned.
The issue would be making sure that D* knows it is owned

Jimbo

yes, I just went through this, they transfer you to the Card activation department as all recievers pretty much go into their system as lease, and that is the only department that can change it....I had two people in that department when I activated two recievers (a R10, then two days later a HR10-250) ask how much I paid for them, because they have a list to see, so for the R10, I told her it was 200, and she said okay I bought it, and for the HR10-250 I had to say 750, if it is 49-99 for a dvr, it will be leased, and for the HDdvr if it is 299-499 (guessing) it will be leased.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)