Getting around trees

sloud74

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I haven't got Voom yet, but I have a lot of trees in my yard. I was wondering if there is some way of getting around the trees without cutting them down. I heard something about a remote dish that you put on something other than your house on another thread (is this possible?). Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Sean :)

Naturally it depends on how far away you'd have to mount the dish. Whether the signal is attenuated by long cable runs or tree leaves, it's attenuation nonetheless.

How tall are these trees? How high will the dish be mounted?

You can get away with long cable runs with running line amp at 75-100 ft intervals.
Installed many at old customers homes that wanted satellite up on a hill far from home. They work fine with c or ku band signals.

As for trees. Well they can really trick you. What you may think of as a good signal thru tree may become wasted frustration if that tree has rain soaked on it!

I had a friend once that bragged about building a plywood fence in front of his dish with no signal loss. THen his sprinklers went on and WAMMOOO. sorry folks, Moisture is the end of line of site!

I agree with iceshark,

I have a little less that 450ft of cable and 3 line amps between the dish and each receiver and it works fine except for the occasional rain fade.

Just make sure you have the installer use some good cable, I used quad shield RG6, Which I would recommend for the longer runs.

There is not really a way to go thought the trees best most reliable way is to find a spot with no trees or cut them down

Just my 2cents

At a distance of 450' you'd be amplifying a lot of noise. The appropriate cable to use is RG11 at that distance. I highly doubt the installer will run that much cable, and they probably don't carry RG11.

Make sure it's done right and not patched together so it will simpy "work." You're just asking for headache with a lot (300'+) of RG6 and amplifiers.

cameron119 said:
At a distance of 450' you'd be amplifying a lot of noise. The appropriate cable to use is RG11 at that distance. I highly doubt the installer will run that much cable, and they probably don't carry RG11.

Make sure it's done right and not patched together so it will simpy "work." You're just asking for headache with a lot (300'+) of RG6 and amplifiers.

You are correct in that rg 11 would be best way to go. However as you said as long as you run very good quad shield rg6 you typically can run up to 375 ft with as little as 3db signal loss if good quality line amps are used in about 3 places. Maybe even only 2 and no diplexer would help not amp up noise threshold.

But you are correct. I would invest in a 500 ft spool of rg11 and one good quality line amp if you need to run it away and still want peak signal.

We are all right.
plus were just sharen the info to help a future Voomer.

NO DAMMIT< please get to Saturday so I get my 30 inch sat here in Wa state.
:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)