Getting Cannels Outside Your Area

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phonecarhead

Original poster
Feb 20, 2005
Getting Channels Outside Your Area

I have heard that some people have given a bogus address to obtain locals outside their real home market. How can this be???

Some markets may have multiple spot beams, so I can see how some subscribers just change their service address with their provider as to obtain another DMA signal while still being able to receive their true locals via OTA. However, due to spot beaming, I can assure you that no one in the Boston DMA is receiving Phoenix, if that is the type of difference you are talking about. I am not 100% sure on D* view on the address "trick", but I am sure some of the experts can tell you.

Well, I now get FIVE sets of networks.
I have cable TV, which gets me my locals. (I have cable modem)
I have a D* account, which is moved to the Chicago DMA for Chicago locals.
I have an E* account, which is moved to the outskirts of the Denver DMA, which gets me Denver distants, as well as NY & LA distants - unfortunately, due to the new SHVERA law, it is no longer possible to get distant signals if a DMA offers locals, period. It might be possible I might loose NY & LA distants on the E* account, but since it is outside grade B area, I should be able to keep them for the time being.

What market were you interested in & what one are YOU in?

I'm in Atlanta and want Boston channels. Problem is this; we have a DVR hookup which is connected to a phone outlet. I don't want to screw anything up with the area code and all. The other issue is that I really just want one receiver to be in Boston, not all, so I will have to pay for an extra account to do this. Not worth it. Any other suggestions? I am not looking to steal anything, I just want the channels I want, that's all.

I suspect the situations described above contribute to the difficulty truly eligible viewers (that want to remain honest) have getting distant network programming.

phonecarhead said:
I'm in Atlanta and want Boston channels.

You couldn't get Boston channels down there in ANY way, since both D* & E* have Boston locals on a spotbeam. Now, if you wanted to get NY or LA, there ARE ways to get those, or if you wanted to get another DMA close by Atlanta, but other than that, there are limits due to the majority of markets on spotbeams.

waltinvt\ said:
I suspect the situations described above contribute to the difficulty truly eligible viewers (that want to remain honest) have getting distant network programming.

And I suspect all you are doing is starting something here - if you REALLY believe this, then obviously you DON'T understand the SHVERA rules as they are applied, which you can thank your wonderful local stations for.

Like lee says, D* & E* could care less about who gets what, as long as they get paid for it. In my case, if I HADN'T done this with my E* account, they would be getting $0 from me, since that is the ONLY reason I am with them - as such, they are getting $30+ from me now. They have yet to turn this $$$ down each month.

You can either sit there & whine about it, or YOU can do something about it, too - all I am doing is working within the system & there is no reason you can't. GET OVER IT! :p :rolleyes:

I have a friend who moved from NY to Florida. Took his receivers with him. Got all NY stations, including FoxSports NY, MSG, UPN (NY) and WPIX (NY). I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of spot beams and the like.

The 4 major networks of NYC locals are on the national feed (NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX) because they are also what some users are offered as their DNS, same goes for LA. The independent NYC locals are not on the national feed to my knowledge, so he shouldn't be getting those in FL.

The NY area sports feeds are also national; for some reason when the new satellites are up I see this changing for all regional sports feeds.

Here is some basic spot beaming & transponder mapping info. Be sure to check for the dates of last update. Some sites my have newer info if available.

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtvfaq.html

http://richardk.digitalrice.com/transponders.asp

http://www.widemovies.com/dtvtransponders.html

Attachments

• D Spots West.png
    D Spots West.png
    42 KB · Views: 2,751
  • D Spots East.png
    D Spots East.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 249
phonecarhead said:
I'm in Atlanta and want Boston channels. Problem is this; we have a DVR hookup which is connected to a phone outlet. I don't want to screw anything up with the area code and all. The other issue is that I really just want one receiver to be in Boston, not all, so I will have to pay for an extra account to do this. Not worth it. Any other suggestions? I am not looking to steal anything, I just want the channels I want, that's all.
The only option for you is to go with the Canadian Bell ExpressVu system.

BEV carries the Boston "big four" broadcast networks (WHDH, WCVB, WBZ, WFXT), along with UPN affiliate WSBK.

In order to receive BEV (or Star Choice) in the United States, you'd have to employ the services of a satellite broker to provide a Canadian address to the satellite company, as the firms won't knowingly provide service to addresses in the United States. I'd suggest TVM; they appear to be the best of the bunch. Iceberg over in the "Other Satellite Services" group here (look several entries below the DirecTV menu item on the main forum page) can provide you more info on them; if you'd like a detailed listing of BEV (or Star Choice) channels, check at http://www.mcquarrieweb.ca/canada/satellite.htm

In my case had I not "moved" Directv would of been out about $100.00 a month because I would of never signed up. Been with Directv since Nov 2002.

charper1 said:
The 4 major networks of NYC locals are on the national feed (NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX) because they are also what some users are offered as their DNS, same goes for LA. The independent NYC locals are not on the national feed to my knowledge, so he shouldn't be getting those in FL.

Actually if you re-read his post, the only "independents" he specifically mentioned were WPIX (WB) & WWOR (UPN) - obviously, those ARE on CONUS on E*, since they are superstations. I also believe they still are CONUS on D* as well, so it would stand to reason why he could get them in FL.

Continue the discussion, channels outside area

Sorry to chime in, I've been reseaching the site, asking questions and it looks like the Atlanta person has my same need or question... willing to pay a sub ... charlie or bev to get access to some locals....

From what I've read folks have said that you will get locals in your spotbeam area only or conus beam channels provided by bev or charlie.. Regarding areas covered by multiple spot beams ... feedback I've gotten on the site indicates that you'll only get locals in your spot ...

As I read the thread there is a possibility you could receive multiple spots... depends on signal strength and just where in the coverage area your dish is located... is this correct ?

5string said:
As I read the thread there is a possibility you could receive multiple spots... depends on signal strength and just where in the coverage area your dish is located... is this correct ?

If you mean "legally" then no. But, by moving, you can in many cases be capable of choosing from several cities. For our area on both E* & D*, we can see the spot beams for St.Louis, Chicago & Indy just fine. (actually, some of the Chicago locals on D* are on the same spot beam as the Indy ones) I'm sure there are other spot beams that hit our area from the other birds, like the beams that carry the Paducah locals, but I haven't bothered to check how good they are, since most people in my area want either Chicago or St.Louis locals.

It obviously will vary from place to place - the only way is to check the signal strength on the desired spotbeams & see how strong they are. ;) ;)

silversurfer01973 said:
I would check out this link before going with a "satellite broker"! http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=55624
That refers to Canadian residents who are trying to obtain US satellite services; the converse is not illegal. If one is interested in BEV/SC, I'd suggest checking this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=49063

Plus, Iceberg and others who already receive Canadian satellite programming in the US (and are paying for it, so no, they are not pirating services) are more than happy to answer questions in those threads.

Thanks for the info, not looking to pirate... looking to subscribe to and receive locals ... thanks again for the response, suggestions and associated links...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts