Getting CATV input on a 522.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ia_Homey

Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
I'm a new Dish customer. I have a 811 and 522. I still have CATV (extended Basic) and am having problems getting the CATV inputed into the 522 to view the channels. I thought just by connecting the CATV input to the CATV input on the 522 I would have them. Any clues?? Thank you this is my 1st post.

Welcome aboard homey!

First, I'll assume we're talking about analog CATV - you will NOT be able to run digital CATV through the 522.

Sometimes installers 'steal' CATV feeds, so move the CATV cable from the 522 to the TV and make sure it still works. If good, then make sure you're switching between inputs correctly - if I remember right, it's the TV/Video button on the remote.

Finally, I hope you're not thinking of recording CATV onto the 522's HDD - it will NOT work.

Also only Tuner 1"s TV will get the pass through signal from the Antenna/Cable input on the back of the 522. DISH seems to believe you get the local channels from them or you don't get them.

Yes, it's analog cable. The cable coming out of the wall for CATV still works. Using the TV/ video button on the remote does not change anything. I am outputting from the 522 to the nearby TV using a S-Video cable. I made sure the receiver was off, but still no CATV.

Also, the 811 manual talks about getting CATV channels to show up on the on-screen channel guide. I have scanned for them, they show up, but the channels just show blank when selected.

Thank you so far.

I am pretty sure that you need to have a coax cable from your receiver to the tv for the CATV to work.

Yes, the pass-through feature isn't going to work unless you have your TV connected to your 522 with an RF cable. On the bright side, you don't need to use this feature at all since you already have your TV connected to the 522 with S-video. Just tune the cable channels with the tuner built in to your TV and when you want to watch channels on Dish turn your TV to the S-video input channel. You will get a much better picture that way and since the 522 can't tune or record cable channels (analog or digital), or OTA channels either for that matter, there is no advantage to using the RF output from the box for TV #1. I imagine the same advice would go for an 811, with the exception being that it CAN tune digital OTA channels (I think it tunes analog too but someone may have to clarify on this - I don't own one myself). If I remember correctly the 811 doesn't even have an RF output so this wouldn't even be an option for you.

Why would it be designed so that you can access the ant/cable input on TV1 but not on TV2 ??? Could there be a logical reason or is this just another example of Dish's lack of logic?

You can spilit(w/basic splitter) out the analog cable signal to the tv 1 input(thru coax cable),& use another splitter (reversed)to send both the tv2 tuner output & cable analog to the 2nd tv. It will work alright with analog cable.

DO NOT try this with an off OTA signal! It will feed back up & make your antenna into a transmitter,which can get you into trouble!

If you need to get your OTA to a 2nd tv on a Dish dual tuner reciever,then purchase a super home node. you can check it out here. http://www.starlink-dss.com/SHN24.htm You can also use this with your analog cable. It would be the better way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)