Getting cheaper HD upgrade...CEO address?

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I have a relative looking to upgrade from a 322 to a 622 or 722...it's $100 to get a 622 (shipped).

They're not a long-history subscriber, they only got dish last August and they have until February on the contract.

What's the chances they could get a better deal through the CEO address for a shipped 622...and what do you think it will end up being if so?

They also own a 311...my other thought was to purchase a 612 to replace that, then sell the 311 (if it even goes for $50)...then they won't have to extend their contract by 2 years...although that's really not an issue if the price is right on the upgrade.

Anyone have similar success? Thanks. I know this sounds repetitive, but most seem to be from subscribers that have had more years (not still under contract).

I have a relative looking to upgrade from a 322 to a 622 or 722...it's $100 to get a 622 (shipped).

They're not a long-history subscriber, they only got dish last August and they have until February on the contract.

What's the chances they could get a better deal through the CEO address for a shipped 622...and what do you think it will end up being if so?

They also own a 311...my other thought was to purchase a 612 to replace that, then sell the 311 (if it even goes for $50)...then they won't have to extend their contract by 2 years...although that's really not an issue if the price is right on the upgrade.

Anyone have similar success? Thanks. I know this sounds repetitive, but most seem to be from subscribers that have had more years (not still under contract).

You are aware that you can't just plug in a HD receiver to a non HD system and get the majority of the HD channels, right? You need either a different dish antenna, or an additional one.... this additional dish and installation would come with that $100 fee. If you opt to buy and install the new Dish from elsewhere, you're going to end up paying at least that much anyway just for the hardware....

Also, the CEO address is not intended for bargaining upgrade fees.... call Dish again in February when she is out of contract and threaten to cancel.... you're much more likely to get a better deal then.

Let me guess: you're one of those people who calls 911 for directions.

Wow...tough crowd in here. Send an email and ask. You have a 50/50 chance of getting a better deal. If you get $50 for the 311, you'll have beat the odds.

I see people paying nearly $100 for 311's on E-bay all the time....

By the way, if you get a better deal, we're talking about a difference of maybe $25.... is it worth the time and effort to you?

Also keep in mind that your bill will go up with a 722 even if you opt-out of HD programming.... DVR fee plus a $7 a month "Access Fee" for just having a HD receiver on your account with no HD programming....

I wasn't trying to be a dick, but people tend to lose perspective when they get asked to pay a fee to upgrade.... look at D* customer's.... the cheapest upgrade from SD to HD DVR I've heard of is $199..... no bargaining power whatsoever.. they'll just let you cancel your account (and pay the fees if applicable).... I've heard it many times from people that switch to Dish....

If an upgrade happens ask for the 622 and they will likely bring a 722 for the charge of a 622.

This is true if your area is serviced by an actual DNS office... the technician will usually have an extra 722 on his van and unless he needs it for another Work Order that day, he will have no problem giving you that instead (they are interchangable by the IVR phone system), provided you ask him up front.... if you get a contractor, sorry, but you're getting a 622 if the Work Order calls for it

seriously, a hundred bucks for a 622? put that into perspective of what you would pay to upgrade your cell phone. i have sprint, i am at month 13ish of a 24 month contract. it was cheaper to buy my wife the new LG rumor cell phone for a 120.00 then it was to try to get it through sprint directly. a dish 622 receiver has to cost more then a friggin lg cell phone, and look at how good a bargain your getting compared to what a wireless company does to its customers.

Talk about excellent timing! It's next February when existing subscribers can upgrade to the TurboHD (all HD only) packages. :D

If they don't want to wait, have them try the ceo email address and if that doesn't work........ It's an open market. They are not "forced" to keep Dish, except to pay an early cancelation fee based on the contract they need to wait on anyways to cancel (or pay).

Bad news, and I'd been there. Had to wait 6 months to drop DirecTV when I'd finally made the decision to switch to Dish Network. Had an HDTV that I couldn't use, because it was....

Gasp! :eek:

$199.00 for an upgrade from the DirecTV SD R16 DVR to their HD DVR...

So I agree that it stinks that your relatives can't get a better deal right now, in Feb when their contract completes they'll have so much more options! Including with Dish, because of the new promotions for existing customers that'll start at that time. If Dish has cheesed them off too much at that point, they can vote with their dollars elsewhere. I'm just not sure I can recommend DirecTV as the historical "support" for there service was, "it'll cost you". It cost me to deal with my bugger than heck R16 (which was originally an R15) and the non-warranty issues even though it was leased when they failed. That and their upgrade "fees" are always higher as an existing sub that wanted newer equipment. Sure $100.00 isn't great, but it needs to be put into perspective for what they'd pay with D*. Actually if they were Costco members, they could get the D* HD DVR for $169.00 as an existing customer. Whooooo Hoooo!

Anyway you can see why I switched.

Np. Been with InstallPro in the PacNW for several months, and I have never seen a 622. 722's go in for all 622 workorders.

Cool... this didn't use to be the case.... guess it depends on what kind of inventory your boss has.

I've got a couple extra Dish 500's so 61.5 isn't an issue.

What I just don't get is that they want $100 for an existing customer to upgrade to HD...yet they'll give it to new customers for free? Last time I had experience with Dishin' It Up they credited your bill to make up for the cost. Why should new customers get it free, but customers who pay their bill on time every month have to pay to upgrade?

And yeah, I know they'll pay $10 a month for HD. That's fine.

Based on the completed auctions on ebay, I could probably sell the 311 for $50-$75. It's almost like new...no scratches or marks, completely with the original box and packaging, etc. The cables have never even been uncoiled.

If I can get $75 for the 311 and I can buy a 612 from Dishstore for $269...then it's only $95 more to own a 612 and not extend the contract.

If I can get a 622 for $50 or $75 though...or even a few PPV's or something from it, then I can justify that.

webbydude is right. if your going to compare the prices, then compare the upgrade price of a 612 vs the cost of buying a 612. and existing customers now have to pay for a 722 upgrade. according to dishnetwork.com they arent free to new customers anymore.

Yeah, but aren't 622's?

And why should a new customer only pay $50 for a 722 when an existing customer, who has sent a check to Dish for the past however many months, have to pay $100 more than the new customer?

Seems to me like Dish does whatever they can to lure you in and then doesn't care once they have you.

I don't think I can upgrade to a 612 without buying it, while still keeping the right amount of TV's. Right now there's two 322's and one 311...if I upgrade a 322, which are the leased ones, to a 612 I'm down to four TV's...and since the 311 is owned they won't add a fifth leased TV, will they?

Just seems like if you have to pay $100, they shouldn't force you in for two more years. If they were offering upgrades for free, like they USED TO, then it'd be fair to lock you in longer.

Anyway, I'll shoot out an email and see what happens. Maybe it's better to wait until their contract is up and see what they'll do to keep them (even if we have no real intention of canceling...shh, they don't know that) if we request one then.

Dish has NEVER offered free upgrades to existing customers. You are acting like this is something new, whereas it has been the case for several years. You seem to forget that when you or your friends FIRST signed up with Dish, your equipment was free. Apparently you think that should go on forever. Well, it doesn't, and shouldn't. As mentioned earlier, $100.00 for a piece of equipment such as the 722 is a STEAL compared to buying one.

I went through the same issues awhile back. I have no issue with a upgrade fee of $100 but I dont want to be in a contract. I just went on ebay and bought a 722 for $280, brand new, never had a problem. Plus if something new comes along I can sell the 722 again and recoup a good amount of what I paid on it. Thus it wouldnt cost me much and I can always have a newer model DVR.

I went through the same issues awhile back. I have no issue with a upgrade fee of $100 but I dont want to be in a contract. I just went on ebay and bought a 722 for $280, brand new, never had a problem. Plus if something new comes along I can sell the 722 again and recoup a good amount of what I paid on it. Thus it wouldnt cost me much and I can always have a newer model DVR.

Until you get a Hard Drive Failure :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)