Getting cheaper HD upgrade...CEO address?

What I just don't get is that they want $100 for an existing customer to upgrade to HD...yet they'll give it to new customers for free?
New customers have something called a "subscriber acquisition cost" associated with them. It costs an average of well over $600 to bring them into the fold. DISH and DIRECTV are willing to pay this cost once.

Treating your relatives like new customers again isn't going to bring them their $600 dollars back any faster by adding another $400-600 to their investment.

Dish has NEVER offered free upgrades to existing customers. You are acting like this is something new, whereas it has been the case for several years. You seem to forget that when you or your friends FIRST signed up with Dish, your equipment was free. Apparently you think that should go on forever. Well, it doesn't, and shouldn't. As mentioned earlier, $100.00 for a piece of equipment such as the 722 is a STEAL compared to buying one.

Last year Dishin' It Up was free, wasn't it? I had a friend who upgraded a 322 to a 722 and they got $10 back per month or whatever until the cost of the upgrade was recouped.

The thing is...they're not paying $100 for a 722. They're paying $100 to use a 722. It's still not theirs. So yes, some kind of upgrade should be available to an existing customer. Even if it's upgrading two tuners per year by extending your contract and receiving the cost back in credits or something.

Because right now, they could call and cancel, send the stuff back in, and re-register and get a better deal. I've read on this forum where people use the wife's name and a different credit card and add "lower" to the address, and get new customer deals. And that would actually be believable as this is a lower floor...there's an apartment upstairs, but the address is just listed without anything.

But yeah, god forbid I say something against Dish on this forum.

Maybe I'm reading too far into it with the CEO address...maybe that's not the right place to contact, but everyone here seems to throw out that address for everything and anything...

think about it, the 722 is best hd-dvr there is according to cnet.com. contact your cell phone carrier, ask them if you can have the versy best phone they offer for a 100.00 bucks if your willing to renew your 2 year contract. think att will give you an apple g3 iphone for a hundred bucks with a 2 year? i want the samsung instinct from sprint, and they told me i would have to pay 449.00 with a 150.00 mail in rebate and renew my 2 year. i dont even want to think wqhat verizon charges for their blackberry curve. now yes i know the cell phones arent leased. but at the same time, if my cell phone breaks, im screwed since i own it. no replacement for shipping only, or free with dhpp.

Last year Dishin' It Up was free, wasn't it? I had a friend who upgraded a 322 to a 722 and they got $10 back per month or whatever until the cost of the upgrade was recouped.
Dish'n It Up has never been free. The only people who qualified for not having to pay big money up front were the ones who owned obsolete HD receivers (921,942, 811) and then only for a straight across trade.

turn off the receiver when not in use. get in the habit of not shutting down your tv until you see the press select to continue screen. it will give your harrddrve a chance to rest as well as defrag. it cant do this when the tuners are in use. this will prolong your harddrive.

turn off the receiver when not in use. get in the habit of not shutting down your tv until you see the press select to continue screen. it will give your harrddrve a chance to rest as well as defrag. it cant do this when the tuners are in use. this will prolong your harddrive.
None of the current crop of DVRs defrags or sleeps its hard drive.

My recently failed 508 was one of the few DVRs that actually allowed the drive to sleep (except when E* thought I needed more PPV movies loaded onto it). It was (and remains) always in standby mode when I wasn't watching something from it.

think about it, the 722 is best hd-dvr there is according to cnet.com. contact your cell phone carrier, ask them if you can have the versy best phone they offer for a 100.00 bucks if your willing to renew your 2 year contract. think att will give you an apple g3 iphone for a hundred bucks with a 2 year? i want the samsung instinct from sprint, and they told me i would have to pay 449.00 with a 150.00 mail in rebate and renew my 2 year. i dont even want to think wqhat verizon charges for their blackberry curve. now yes i know the cell phones arent leased. but at the same time, if my cell phone breaks, im screwed since i own it. no replacement for shipping only, or free with dhpp.

Yes, but my phone company also has basic phones for free with a 2 year contract and they suit me fine.

So with that analogy give me dish's entry level HD-DVR.

But whatever, if it's $100 then that's just an extra cost to factor in I guess.

Yes, but my phone company also has basic phones for free with a 2 year contract and they suit me fine.

So with that analogy give me dish's entry level HD-DVR.

But whatever, if it's $100 then that's just an extra cost to factor in I guess.

That's a poor analogy on YOUR part.

Basic/entry level would be the 322 or 222. HD-DVR is a premium.

Well, he was using the fact that E*'s HD-DVR's are the highest rated...

But yet they still charge for a 222 upgrade as well.

I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if they didn't extend the contract 2 years. I mean, if I'm paying the money, what else should I have to do.

Maybe I can talk them out of that. Not that they have any intention of leaving Dish, but it's always nice to be contract-free.

Maybe if I short out my 622 I can get them to send me a 722? Free, no?
as long as dish's SC, doesnt find you at fault, some cases yes.

or have a tech come out and they replace the 622 with a 722 because we dont have any. CSC " CAn" wavie the upgrade charge, it has been done

Last edited:
*ANDREWWSKI*

I've never leased a receiver in my life. Nothing wrong with leasing, I just hate contracts. Been a E* dbs customer for approx. 12 years.

Bottom line...regardless of people getting their underwear all bunched up because you want a better deal, contact E* and see if they will do you better. If they don't, no big deal.

I think with E*s current market woes, right now would be a better than 50/50 chance that they would work with you.