Getting Dish just for HBO Go

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JackLetto

Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
United States
I'm currently a DirecTV customer and would like to watch HBO Go on my Roku, which DirecTV won't allow.

What would be the lowest cost option of subscribing to Dish TV without actually installing the system? Is it possible for a new customer to buy a used receiver, activate it (online?) with an HBO package, and then just stick the receiver in a closet?

Thanks!
-Jack

yes, but that is going to be a spendy setup. you will need to get a receiver they still activate (i.e. vip211). That is anywhere from $50-$100 depending. Then you can sub to the welcome pack + hbo. $19.99 + $18.00. it will be over $40/mo.

maybe you can ask a friend and just pay to add hbo to their sub?

yes, but that is going to be a spendy setup. you will need to get a receiver they still activate (i.e. vip211). That is anywhere from $50-$100 depending. Then you can sub to the welcome pack + hbo. $19.99 + $18.00. it will be over $40/mo.

maybe you can ask a friend and just pay to add hbo to their sub?

This is a much better set up. I allow my father to access my HBO go in OK while I live in CA.

That's a good point. I just asked my Dad who his cable provider is and it's Verizon Fios, which looks like it supports HBO Go on the Roku. Cool :D

That's a good point. I just asked my Dad who his cable provider is and it's Verizon Fios, which looks like it supports HBO Go on the Roku. Cool :D

that is the way to go, and you will both get hbo. he might even split the cost with you!

I thought Direct now has HBO GO. No?
Yes, but they don't allow you to watch it on a Roku player. Comcast and DirecTV are the two holdouts for that.

If you ever want to read some convoluted logic, go to the other satellite forum and read some of the posts about it from the DirecTV defenders. :rolleyes:

Yes, but they don't allow you to watch it on a Roku player. Comcast and DirecTV are the two holdouts for that.

If you ever want to read some convoluted logic, go to the other satellite forum and read some of the posts about it from the DirecTV defenders. :rolleyes:
Like any other crazy person, a Fanboy's logic is not based on reality.

Does anyone actually get HBO GO to work?

My Amazon works perfectly but HOB GO totally sucks ... jerky, takes forever to load. During he day is is much better but it is totally worthless for me at night. I've got a 10 Mb Internet line so it isn't my connection.

HBO-Go works perfectly for me, day and night, 6 up, 27 down. You say you've got a 10Mb internet line. You also say that HBO-Go doesn't work well in the evening while during the day it is better. I'd say that you're not getting 10Mb at night because your cable company is over used by half of your neighborhood.... Do a speed test at night to see what you are really getting.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I have does the speed test many times at night and right after HOB Go is a No-GO .... always spot on at 9.8 to 1.2 Mb down. My up speed is only 712 and always has been.

Amazon works perfectly at night also.

HBO Go works fine for me on Roku most of the time. Every now and again I have the problem where there is no sound on the movie. (The sting has sound, then the movie starts with no sound). But that rarely happens, and when it does it's been on the movie's debut day.

Yes I am .... times 10
I do know these things ... LOL. It may be a Florida Century Link issue and HOB-Go is totally worthless while all of the other services are just fine.

Speed.jpg

Works great for me on roku.Currently on 30/4 charter hsi,prior to that we had ATT dsl 6Mb down,it also worked fine with it.

I have does the speed test many times at night and right after HOB Go is a No-GO .... always spot on at 9.8 to 1.2 Mb down. My up speed is only 712 and always has been.

Amazon works perfectly at night also.
I had a similar problem. Turns out it was the unsupported, non Motorola mult-port modem (on AT&T DSL) I was using. Spedtests were always good. Did not matter. Dug out my old original single ethernet modem, and all was well. Since then, moved on to Uverse internet (no way for Comcast), and still good. Takes about 10 seconds or less to fully buffer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)