Getting Dvr 522 In Few Days Have ?'s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RITAcp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
grand rapids, michigan
I just signed up for dish network and they are scheduled to install my dvr in 2 rooms next tue am. I have never had dish before, but i do have experience with Directv with tivo. Are you able to tell me the differences? Also I am afraid of the installer putting yet another dish on my roof, also the roof is not in the best shape either and i cant afford any more holes in my roof. I already have 2 up there, one from direct tv(me) and one from previous owner of dish. What are my options? Can anyone give me any advise on specific things to ask or things to do when the installer comes? If anyone has any suggestions please respond asap. Also was wondering if anyone knew if I decide to cancel the service will i have to return the dish also? or just the receiver and remotes? Also I will be moving soon so thats why I have alot of questions.

RITAcp said:
I just signed up for dish network and they are scheduled to install my dvr in 2 rooms next tue am. I have never had dish before, but i do have experience with Directv with tivo. Are you able to tell me the differences? Also I am afraid of the installer putting yet another dish on my roof, also the roof is not in the best shape either and i cant afford any more holes in my roof. I already have 2 up there, one from direct tv(me) and one from previous owner of dish. What are my options? Can anyone give me any advise on specific things to ask or things to do when the installer comes?

Sounds like you are in good shape. ask the installer to use the Directv Mast... or the old Dish Mast... that should uncomplicate the roof. The 522 uses 2 inputs (tuners) same as tivo but instead of powering 1 tv it powers 2. the installer will need 2 inputs from the dish to the 522 and 1 going out to the second room. Any other questions?

dvr 522 ?'s

ShadowEKU said:
Sounds like you are in good shape. ask the installer to use the Directv Mast... or the old Dish Mast... that should uncomplicate the roof. The 522 uses 2 inputs (tuners) same as tivo but instead of powering 1 tv it powers 2. the installer will need 2 inputs from the dish to the 522 and 1 going out to the second room. Any other questions?
but right now i still have directv hardware and might go back if i cant handle dish network. But I was hoping to maybe get the dish installed on a post or something, do you know if that is possible? I didnt have tivo at this house before, just regular directv. Will the installer have to do any rewiring? or drill any more holes? any ideas? also I dont have a landline, am I able to still get the updates? Will I be able to purchase pay per view?

RITAcp said:
but right now i still have directv hardware and might go back if i cant handle dish network. But I was hoping to maybe get the dish installed on a post or something, do you know if that is possible? I didnt have tivo at this house before, just regular directv. Will the installer have to do any rewiring? or drill any more holes? any ideas? also I dont have a landline, am I able to still get the updates? Will I be able to purchase pay per view?
For all we know, the old E* dish up there is in fine shape for use with the 522. Talk with the installer when he arrives.

Yes, some rewiring and drilling may be necessary. The 522 requires TWO satellite feeds, and they need to be 2150MHz RG-6. So, again, it's a matter of looking at what's already there. One thing you can be CERTAIN of - the installer will only do what's necessary - he's probably being paid by the job, not the hour. ;)

As for landline - here's the trick. Tell the installer you're going to get one "soon". Then when he activates the box with E*, they will probably hit the box so it won't bother you with the phone warning - AND hit the account so that you won't be charged the extra $5/month. Regarding software - it comes down via the satellite - you'll see it when he hooks up the box. Finally, PPV - you'll have to order via call-in only, NOT via the remote.

Are you able to record to VCR?

Once you have a program recorded in history, are you able to record it onto vhs tape? Also if anyone can give me some ideas of what I can expect from the 522, such as features and stuff?

RITAcp said:
Once you have a program recorded in history, are you able to record it onto vhs tape? Also if anyone can give me some ideas of what I can expect from the 522, such as features and stuff?

There are tons of threads on the 522 - go to 'search' and go read them all. You should find EVERY little thing about it you need to know!
There's no way to explain it all here, except to say YES you can record onto VHS tape as long as you have a VCR between the incoming line and the TV.

You trying to kill poor Rita? :D

Actually, the thing to do is start playing with it. :)

THEN, you can make reasonable forum searches once you've got an idea of the right terms - from looking at the screens. ;)

Bizzach said:
There are tons of threads on the 522 - go to 'search' and go read them all. You should find EVERY little thing about it you need to know!
There's no way to explain it all here, except to say YES you can record onto VHS tape as long as you have a VCR between the incoming line and the TV.
Ok thanks about the vcr, but one last thing... will the installer be able to hook the vcr up like that or is that something i will have to figure out by myself? Of course once i get the system i will play around with it but i just dont want to miss anything interesting. Thanks for your response.

RITAcp said:
Ok thanks about the vcr, but one last thing... will the installer be able to hook the vcr up like that or is that something i will have to figure out by myself? Of course once i get the system i will play around with it but i just dont want to miss anything interesting. Thanks for your response.

Playing around is 90% of the fun. if youve had directv in the past and the vcr hooked up in conjunction with that the connection (IMHO) is essentially the same except there is a dvr there instead of a plain old reciever.

If you ask the installer nicely they will probably set it up for you. it shouldnt be more than 2 minutes work

ShadowEKU said:
Playing around is 90% of the fun. if youve had directv in the past and the vcr hooked up in conjunction with that the connection (IMHO) is essentially the same except there is a dvr there instead of a plain old reciever.

If you ask the installer nicely they will probably set it up for you. it shouldnt be more than 2 minutes work
Honey, you always talk to much high techy words for me!!! I do have a vcr hooked up to the directv unit right now but... im not even sure if thats hooked up correctly in the first place. IMHO whats that? I can always work my stuff with the installer, but I didnt know if there were things they are allowed to do or not to do.

RITAcp said:
Honey, you always talk to much high techy words for me!!! I do have a vcr hooked up to the directv unit right now but... im not even sure if thats hooked up correctly in the first place. IMHO whats that? I can always work my stuff with the installer, but I didnt know if there were things they are allowed to do or not to do.

Nah the VCR is pretty easy and simple... If you can record something now onto tape and it come out decent then its hooked up good enough to Git-r-done. The only difference in the 2 sets (other than channels) is that you have more control over what you record on the vcr. Basicly the VCR is set up to record (when you press record) whatever is coming out of the reciever. Archiving stuff from the dvr is a matter of selecting it and playing it in the DVR menus and recording what is playing on the VCR. Pretty easy stuff... you just have more control. and IMHO=In My Honest Opinion

ShadowEKU said:
Nah the VCR is pretty easy and simple... If you can record something now onto tape and it come out decent then its hooked up good enough to Git-r-done. The only difference in the 2 sets (other than channels) is that you have more control over what you record on the vcr. Basicly the VCR is set up to record (when you press record) whatever is coming out of the reciever. Archiving stuff from the dvr is a matter of selecting it and playing it in the DVR menus and recording what is playing on the VCR. Pretty easy stuff... you just have more control. and IMHO=In My Honest Opinion
Thanks a bunch! But actually my vcr is new and like i said im not sure if i even hooked it up right, I can watch video's, but i have not been able to figure out how to record to it yet. So honestly i dont think i have it hooked up right. But ill bat my eyelashes a little and see if the installer can get me hooked up right! LOL

oK GUYS I came up with another question! I totally forgot about the situation I have with my cabling. I currently have Directv and once dish is hooked up i will just put my Directv account on hold, I am doing this to make sure i like dish network and dont have any problems with it. So what should i do? Does that mean the installer has to run all new cable into the house to run the dish hardware? Or is all i would have to do is unplug the back of the dish and plug back into dish receiver for that to work again?Anyone have any ideas on what i should do in this situation??

RITAcp said:
oK GUYS I came up with another question! I totally forgot about the situation I have with my cabling. I currently have Directv and once dish is hooked up i will just put my Directv account on hold, I am doing this to make sure i like dish network and dont have any problems with it. So what should i do? Does that mean the installer has to run all new cable into the house to run the dish hardware? Or is all i would have to do is unplug the back of the dish and plug back into dish receiver for that to work again?Anyone have any ideas on what i should do in this situation??

this depends on ALOT of variables unfortunately. You are getting a 522 so that immediately requires 2 incoming cables to the recievers location (the 522 has 2 Sat tuners and therefore 2 cables from the dish) 1 outgoing cable going to the second TV. Most installers wont diplex or anything like that so they pretty much just run the cables. IF you have a dual LNB dish from D* (Directv) and it has 2 cables running from it to the location the 522 will be without any switches or anything like that in the way then you could theoreticly be good to go if you get a good installer. If not new wires will need to be run. If the house has existing cable (Cable TV cable) running to that location this could be used (in theory) as the outgoing cable to the second tv. Again it depends on how it is currently set up.

Im sorry for being general but Without a considerable amount of more information its hard to say.

ShadowEKU said:
this depends on ALOT of variables unfortunately. You are getting a 522 so that immediately requires 2 incoming cables to the recievers location (the 522 has 2 Sat tuners and therefore 2 cables from the dish) 1 outgoing cable going to the second TV. Most installers wont diplex or anything like that so they pretty much just run the cables. IF you have a dual LNB dish from D* (Directv) and it has 2 cables running from it to the location the 522 will be without any switches or anything like that in the way then you could theoreticly be good to go if you get a good installer. If not new wires will need to be run. If the house has existing cable (Cable TV cable) running to that location this could be used (in theory) as the outgoing cable to the second tv. Again it depends on how it is currently set up.

Im sorry for being general but Without a considerable amount of more information its hard to say.
Well actually i have an oval dish with triple LNB with directv for the local channels and i do have 2 receivers so i have 2 lines coming into the house already if thats what your looking for. Also I did have cable tv in there at one time too! so when D* came in they went off of the cables already installed, and I think all he had to do was a few small changes obviously to hook up the dish. But I also was curious what "Standard Installation" means and if he does have to run new cables for dish network, so i dont have to disconnect directv, would that still be standard? They are coming tomorrow moring so I really need to figure as much out as possible today so if this doesnt give you any better ideas please ask questions and i will try to figure out what you mean and get what i can to you if you can help. I really appreciate all your help so far.

RITAcp said:
Well actually i have an oval dish with triple LNB with directv for the local channels and i do have 2 receivers so i have 2 lines coming into the house already if thats what your looking for. Also I did have cable tv in there at one time too! so when D* came in they went off of the cables already installed, and I think all he had to do was a few small changes obviously to hook up the dish. But I also was curious what "Standard Installation" means and if he does have to run new cables for dish network, so i dont have to disconnect directv, would that still be standard? They are coming tomorrow moring so I really need to figure as much out as possible today so if this doesnt give you any better ideas please ask questions and i will try to figure out what you mean and get what i can to you if you can help. I really appreciate all your help so far.

250 FT of cable is Standard Professional. If you dont want your D* stuff disconnected then he will definitely have to run new cables. He will need 2 cables from the dish going to the 522. If you have any other recieves being installed he will need to run at least 1 line to them. However since it seems as the 522 is all you will be getting. the installer shold install something like this:

Dish 500 (depending on your locals it could be a Superdish... cant remember site to look it up). If there is a superdish there will probably be a DP34 attached. If it is just the dish 500 it will probably be a Dish Pro Twin. 2 wires coming down from the dish to enter your house. A third wire from the dish to Ground it (INSIST ON THIS IF THE INSTALLER SAYS IT ISNT NEEDED.) At the entry point to the house he should install ground blocks (AGAIN INSIST ON THIS). The 2 wires will run to the 522. He will then find a way to either tap the cable in the house to go to TV2 or will run another cable from the 522's location to tv2. That should be It. If you do have a super dish the only real difference will be the DP34 in there and a Rather Large Heavy Dish. Might want to make sure he seals it really really well if hes doing a roof mount there in MI. Just make sure he grounds it well.

Now that I think about it he may use dual line coax if he has it... It jsut looks better and is easier.

I cant think of anything else off the top of my head. Post back if you have more questions... Im sure anyone else on here should chime in with their thoughts too.

ShadowEKU said:
250 FT of cable is Standard Professional. If you dont want your D* stuff disconnected then he will definitely have to run new cables. He will need 2 cables from the dish going to the 522. If you have any other recieves being installed he will need to run at least 1 line to them. However since it seems as the 522 is all you will be getting. the installer shold install something like this:

Dish 500 (depending on your locals it could be a Superdish... cant remember site to look it up). If there is a superdish there will probably be a DP34 attached. If it is just the dish 500 it will probably be a Dish Pro Twin. 2 wires coming down from the dish to enter your house. A third wire from the dish to Ground it (INSIST ON THIS IF THE INSTALLER SAYS IT ISNT NEEDED.) At the entry point to the house he should install ground blocks (AGAIN INSIST ON THIS). The 2 wires will run to the 522. He will then find a way to either tap the cable in the house to go to TV2 or will run another cable from the 522's location to tv2. That should be It. If you do have a super dish the only real difference will be the DP34 in there and a Rather Large Heavy Dish. Might want to make sure he seals it really really well if hes doing a roof mount there in MI. Just make sure he grounds it well.

Now that I think about it he may use dual line coax if he has it... It jsut looks better and is easier.

I cant think of anything else off the top of my head. Post back if you have more questions... Im sure anyone else on here should chime in with their thoughts too.
Ok then, I think im just getting the dish 500, and the 522 is the only thing else. But also while im thinking of it, what about if I want to have him install the dish on a pole mount? Is that "standard"? I really dont want to have another dish on my roof, its an older house and the roof isnt very stable and i cant afford to have any more holes in there since ive already have problems with leaking. Then if Im able to install the dish this way does that mean it will be grounded already then? Im just really nervous about this kind of stuff, especially being a single woman, and i know how some of these installers can be, tell me something and know i will believe anything they say cause i dont know what they are talking about anyways! Thats why I REALLY REALLY appreciate all that you have helped me with. I leave at 5pm est and i dont have internet at home so thats why im sort of in a hurry for this information. Thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)