Getting HD out to shop from house

nightowl66

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
N.W. Ohio
I have a VIP722k DVR. I have tv2 split to a few sd tvs, one of which is in a outbuilding about 60' from the house where my shop/cave is. I have the antenna for tv 2 remote split into the coax so I am able to change channels from the shop. I now have a HD tv I want to put in the shop and would like get HD service out there. What are my options. I was looking at the Hopper and joeys, but that is going to take my bill up quite a bit. Any suggestions? Also, do you need joey at the main tv where the hopper is?

You do not need a Joey at the Hopper location. It sounds as if you have 2 TVs beyond your 722 location. You would need two Joeys to feed those TVs. They are $7 apiece. Add $4 for the Hopper, from what you are paying today for the 722. It would be $18 a month higher, but is it ever worth it....

I agree with Bobby. You won't be sorry you made this upgrade. You may run into some wiring issues depending on what type of cable you ran. But, with a Hopper install, Dish will run all new cables wherever they need to be run.

You might be able to get by with one Joey...for the shop. You can get an RF modulator connected to the composite outputs of the Hopper for your other SD(s). They would however, mirror what the hopper is tuned to.

You might be able to get by with one Joey...for the shop. You can get an RF modulator connected to the composite outputs of the Hopper for your other SD(s). They would however, mirror what the hopper is tuned to.

If I go with 1 joey in the shop and another joey in my dining room, I can run coax from the joey in the dining room and mirror it to another tv? Do the joey remotes have to be in the same room as the joey or are the like the tv 2 remote I have now?

If I go with 1 joey in the shop and another joey in my dining room, I can run coax from the joey in the dining room and mirror it to another tv? Do the joey remotes have to be in the same room as the joey or are the like the tv 2 remote I have now?

You can run coax from DR Joey IF you buy a cheap, RF modulator you would connect to the composite jacks. Hopper/Joey have no coax out like the 722K. Joey remotes are RF, just like your 21.0. In fact, it (21.0) would control the Joey in the DR, sans the colored button functions.

You can run coax from DR Joey IF you buy a cheap, RF modulator you would connect to the composite jacks. Hopper/Joey have no coax out like the 722K. Joey remotes are RF, just like your 21.0. In fact, it (21.0) would control the Joey in the DR, sans the colored button functions.

If I do this, go from the DR joey and mirror to a tv in my BR, will the remote work with the joey in the DR like I can with my tv2 21.0 IR/UHF remote?

Another solution is to get a 211k in the shop, but then you'll need too get a switch or connect a coax to the dish.

The receiver fee will cost $7/month and for 1 time $40. fee you have an external drive activated and it becomes a DVR.

Another solution is to get a 211k in the shop, but then you'll need too get a switch or connect a coax to the dish.

The receiver fee will cost $7/month and for 1 time $40. fee you have an external drive activated and it becomes a DVR.

I want to be able to have access to the DVR in the house If I go that route I don't believe I will??

So I am thinking of going with the 211k and adding a ehd to it. I did a online chat with a dish rep "George". He said I can take the ehd, copy something something from my 722k in the house and play it on the 211k. Is this correct?
$40 activation fee and $7 a month. Plus $95 installation fee.
Is there any way to get the $95 waived? I have been with Dish for years.
Also the dish is a long way from the outbuilding,I would just have to bury the cable.
Any chance of getting another dish mounted on the outbuilding and not having to run the cable all the way across my yard, over 200'.

No! The 411/211/211k DVR conversion disk is INCOMPATIBLE with other Dish DVR receivers.

Do you still need the answer to the rest of your questions? ;)

No! The 411/211/211k DVR conversion disk is INCOMPATIBLE with other Dish DVR receivers.

Do you still need the answer to the rest of your questions? ;)

What about the VIP 612 I believe that's compatible?
If it is compatible I would like the answers to the rest of my questions, thanks

Yes. I have a 722 and two 612's and I can state definitively that the EHDs are compatible.

Is there any way to get the $95 waived? I have been with Dish for years.
Also the dish is a long way from the outbuilding,I would just have to bury the cable.
Any chance of getting another dish mounted on the outbuilding and not having to run the cable all the way across my yard, over 200'.

You can always add the home protection plan for (I believe) $7/mo to get that $95 reduced to $15. That might or might not include a new dish, but that's an excellent way of avoiding a 200' cable run. 200' is at the limit of the DishPro spec. I have read of others getting it to work at 350', but that's really pushing it and most installers won't even try.

Last edited:
Here is a suggestion. You could do a hopper/joey setup and that would give you HD out at the shop with full access to the DVR recording.

If the coax run is too long, I have seen some people here run the joeys on eithernet cable. You can get 333 feet out of Cat5 and close to 500 feet if you use Cat6

IF you don't care about accessing recordings from the house, then get a 211 and a second Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)