Getting HWS and dual sub for awhile

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
Well, I switched to D* a few months ago and dropped E*. But even though the Genie is a fine box operationally, I just don't like some of the ways they do things, and I sure don't like that an EHD is of little real value with D*. So I'm doing what I've contemplated for a long time and will be dual-subbing for a bit.

A lot of overlap, but the bill will be cheap from D* as I have lots of discounts for 1st year plus a few referral credits that offset the billing quite a bit. For premiums I'll mix 'n match a bit, which will end up costing more but will get Showtime Extreme in HD for the boxing preliminary fights. And of course, I'll get to watch NFLST this coming fall, which is a plus.

Of course, I'm paying a penalty that is totally self-induced for doing this, but what the hell? You can't take it with you!! Essentially I'll end up with a $30/month hit doing this.

Looking forward to having the HWS back in the mix, it is the finest HDDVR on the market IMO. Love PTAT and Auto-Hop and have really missed that. Looking at my series links, out of about 75 of them setup on the Genie, only 26 are channels other than broadcast, so I can turn on PTAT and cover 50 series links right off the bat. Before someone says something about, yes some of the links are shows that are not on right now, but the links are there.

You don't see many because there is so much overlap in the way packages are done, and of course the premium cost to do it doesn't help.

Short term setup will be somewhat like this:

Direct - Genie, Choice, Showtime. Choice has to be kept to get the free NFLST, after the season is over I'll most likely drop down to the lowest tier (Select I think) and pick up the Sports Pack.

Dish - HWS, T250, HBO/Max. Possibly switch Starz on and off at times if something interesting comes along though that isn't very often these days. BB@Home might get picked up too, but the jury is still out on that.

Might juggle slightly different from that to minimize the financial penalty incurred with having both systems.

For me the HDPQ is enough similar that I really cannot discern the difference though some others do, but anything SD will get watched/recorded on Dish as Direct's SD is very bad in comparison though the HR44 seems to do better with SD than previous HRs. Depending on how the packages align after the 1st 3 months of Dish, I'll probably do the bulk of recording on the HWS.

While I think the Hopper is the best overall, the Genie (and other HRs) have some nice features too. Boolean search is nice and getting a list of shows on a channel for a long period of time is nice too and very handy, as is the one button switch to VOD for a channel that has it. Search on the Genie is a bit more powerful, sometimes too powerful giving some odd results. And since the channels I get function on D* is so hosed it will actually search and record shows you cannot watch because you aren't subscribed to that channel.

For broadcast there is nothing out there that can even come close to the Hopper's PTAT and Auto-Hop! Never have to think about what show is coming on, even the new ones since PTAT just gets all primetime. That is one huge plus! And of course, the archiving with an EHD is superb!

While both D*'s HRxx series and Hoppers have methods to connect to some media servers, there is some differences that are notable.

1. D*'s HR44, just like previous HRs I've had, has 'Photos & More' or some such to see and use a media server. But for watching videos from Playon it is very poor. Only supports SD, though it is not bad at all as SD, but it is very flakey and can't be depended on to view videos. It is also very slow in operation. This goes back many years.

2. Dish's HWS (and I assume the original Hopper) has the 'Media Devices' or some such. It is very reliable and does support HD from Playon. It is pretty quick in operation too, though not quite as fast as just doing SAT videos.

Welcome sorta back :) will be interesting to hear your feedback on both at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks, it is great to have the Hopper back in the house. Just so much more enjoyable to use though both D* and E* do a fine job of getting shows on my TV!! :)

Ordered a Super Joey today, should have done that on the initial order, but what the hell? Looking forward to it. I don't actually need one for use on a 2nd TV, mostly just to get the extra 2 tuners and because I want it! They could install it in the garage with no TV hooked to it and I'd be happy. Will end up using the Dish gear most of the time, but Showtime needs to be on D* 'cause they have more Showtime HD channels, especially Showtime Extreme. And the better sports coverage is welcome.

For those contemplating dual-subbing, don't try to justify it. Can't be done!! You must put on your best rationalization hat to have it make any sense at all! :)

The Super Joey is installed. Very nice and it is wonderful having full integration that was missing with my previous 2 Hopper set up. I'm impressed with how it all comes together and the speed of operation between the two boxes is excellent, virtually no lag. I had wondered about that.

Would be nice if the SJ supported an EHD, but it certainly isn't critical.

The Super Joey is installed. Very nice and it is wonderful having full integration that was missing with my previous 2 Hopper set up. I'm impressed with how it all comes together and the speed of operation between the two boxes is excellent, virtually no lag. I had wondered about that.

Would be nice if the SJ supported an EHD, but it certainly isn't critical.

With it being fully integrated I don't see why EHD support would be needed at all. Just get a larger EHD on the Hopper if more space is needed.

With it being fully integrated I don't see why EHD support would be needed at all. Just get a larger EHD on the Hopper if more space is needed.

Correct, I could do that easily enough and it isn't like I don't have way too many EHDs floating around the house to use. I just thought it would be nice to have a 2nd one but connected to the SJ.

The SJ is in my 'tech room', connected to a Sony PS3 3D 24" display that is also used as my main monitor for my Apple MacBook Pro. Frankly I doubt that I'll use it much directly as I don't tend to watch TV except on my big screen 73". It would be neat if I could figger a way to have a split screen with the computer and SJ showing in some sort of PIP setup, but if there is a way I've not figured it out yet. That will be a winter project.

The SJ was gotten with the goal in mind of having 5 discrete tuners (8 during PrimeTime) and it does that just fine. I watch a lot of golf and boxing and it isn't uncommon to have contentions show up the 3 tuners, even with PTAT, didn't serve well enough. Hell, I've even got one day showing on the Dish system where there is a contention. Of course, that is handled pretty well with the reschedule for a later showing.

I'll split the package and programming level a bit between D* and E* to take advantage of the HD differences between them. I'll have HBO/Max on E* and Showtime on D*. And then whatever base package strikes my fancy. Most likely after the end of the year take D* down to as minimum as they'll allow w/Showtime, or possibly and more probably pay the ETF and cancel D*. All subject to change of course!! :)

HD picture quality these days between D* and E* is so very slight that it isn't a concern at all. I used to be able to tell that D* was slightly better, but now I can't tell any difference at all with the exception that the E* HD seems a bit 'brighter'. SD on E* is watcheable and tolerable for those few channels that are SD on both, with the exception of sports. SD and sports just don't seem good at all on both systems with D*'s being worse by a fair margin. I suspect the difference might be signal levels to the TV from the respective HDDVRs more than anything else.

Audio quality is different between the two systems. With D* the separation of channels seems more pronounced on many shows and on some shows, the center (dialog) channel on D* is many times drowned out by the other speakers. E* doesn't seem to be that way though the volume levels on E* are a bit lower than on D*. I suppose the differences are in the decoders and audio pre-amps in the respective gear.

The search function on both the Hopper/SJ and HR44 seems to be pretty much a wash as to power and useability. But E*'s gets very messy as you search for things, D*'s is more mundane, but less cluttered in displaying the results. Frankly a list of shows would be more useful on the Hopper/SJ with search results than are the Icons that the E* programmers are so enamored of, imo.

One function that Direct's HRs have is the ability to see a listing of all programs for a few days for one channel.

You pull up the guide, hit the left arrow key to highlight the channel icon/number and press info. Very handy for surfing a channel. And you can do it on all channels, even ones you don't subscribe to.

Another feature that D* has is a 2 week guide vice the 8-9 days that Dish does. And I noticed on D* it schedules out more shows on a seek and record for things like boxing that has a ton of shows. With D* I can see schedule timers out the full 2 weeks, with E* and my 'boxing' seek and record it isn't uncommon to only see an even actually scheduled a day or two out. Must have something to do with either how they count events or event number limits.

Today was the day I finally was going to jigger the programming around to minimize the financial of having both services. My plan was coming up with a total between the two of about $130-$140/month since I generally like to have it all.

Called D* to take it down to Choice and they made an offer I couldn't refuse. Bottom line is that I'll have the Genie and Premier for a grand total of about $62/month with various discounts and such and the 2 referrals I have. That for 6 months.

And if when the 1st 3 months are up, I'll take E* to HWS+SuperJoey+T120(not plus) and BB@Home for about $62/month.

That takes advantage of most HD differences, gives me BB@Home which is much better than D*'s HD Extra, have all the premium movie channels and D*'s Sports Pack. And see NFL Sunday Ticket this years. Overall I consider it a sweet deal and cheaper than I had originally thought I could juggle in other ways. 9 tuners, all the freaking channels, my butt will spread like cheese on crackers!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts