Getting Install Tomorrow - Any Advice To Give?

midwesttv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
USA
Going from 2 vip's and HD (no dvr model) to 2H/1 J tomorrow...

Any "heads-ups", advice you guys want to give? Am hoping I get an experienced tech with this. I've had too many instances in the past where one tech would ridicule the work of a previous tech.

Should be pretty simple - I hope :rolleyes:

PS - will my programmable remotes still work with Hopper or will I need to re-program them too??

Thanks in advance and happy 4th to everyone too!!

We changed over to 2 hoppers and 2 joeys. Our installer was great. He had every thing up and going without having to do anything twice. He even changed out our antenna because there was a problem with it that I did not even know existed. We have really enjoyed this new system. You are very smart to get two hoppers. If you are the only one in the house, one would do, but with two or more people you really want two hoppers. Only thing I can thing of is to be sure and have the HIC installed tomorrow because it is a free install, but if you wait you will have to pay for it. Each hopper and the joey will get their own new remote. The installer should program them for you. Good luck.
Dayton

We changed over to 2 hoppers and 2 joeys. Our installer was great. He had every thing up and going without having to do anything twice. He even changed out our antenna because there was a problem with it that I did not even know existed. We have really enjoyed this new system. You are very smart to get two hoppers. If you are the only one in the house, one would do, but with two or more people you really want two hoppers. Only thing I can thing of is to be sure and have the HIC installed tomorrow because it is a free install, but if you wait you will have to pay for it. Each hopper and the joey will get their own new remote. The installer should program them for you. Good luck.
Dayton

Thanks Dayton - appreciate you sharing positive vibes...We've been apprehensive about moving to H/J since we've been happy with VIP lack of noticeable bugs and glitches.

I know HIC stands for Hopper Internet Connect (right?)...Benefits to me the user are?? I'll do a search for it too.

Am hoping the programming we did for our Logitech Harmony remotes won't have to be scrapped going to hopper remote systems from vip :confused:

You'll love it! I upgraded about two weeks ago from a 722k and 215k. Whatever it's worth, my old IR 20.0 remotes work just fine with my Hopper and Joeys, didn't have to reprogram them. So I would think your Harmony will work.

Only issue during my install was the Hopper had to be hard reset during the upgrade. Let it sit for a hour with no progress. After the reset, it continued with the updates within 10 minutes.

I'm curious, what does the Harmony do that the DISH remote won't? I have it contorlling my TV and DVD player, what else do you need?? lol

You'll love it! I upgraded about two weeks ago from a 722k and 215k. Whatever it's worth, my old IR 20.0 remotes work just fine with my Hopper and Joeys, didn't have to reprogram them. So I would think your Harmony will work.

Only issue during my install was the Hopper had to be hard reset during the upgrade. Let it sit for a hour with no progress. After the reset, it continued with the updates within 10 minutes.

I'm curious, what does the Harmony do that the DISH remote won't? I have it contorlling my TV and DVD player, what else do you need?? lol

I have buttons programmed to do multiple tasks across the surround,tv,blue ray, satellite etc...One for Watch Satellite, another for watch blue ray, another for listen to iPod etc...

Dang....

I don't have 3 gig line, no Hopper install

Not going to start drilling holes inside & out and re-wiring everything at this point...

I'm frustrated - but had to make a call..Going to have to stick to my VIP's for now.

Last edited:
I ran new RG6 3Ghz all throughout my house in about 6 hours. Bought the cable at Lowes for $30. The tech put the ends on.

I had to cut into some drywall in my basement ceiling. I put in some plastic access panels over the holes that you can get at Lowes, which allows me up there for future stuff. Much easier to run the cables from below (basement/craw space).

And as much as I wanted to upgrade to Hopper, I ain't willing to go through that right now to do so..Our VIP's meet 90% of our needs...Sure wish there was more hardware choices for legacy equipment..

I'll be screwed when that stuff gets sunsetted or have to make the jump in wire then. Not up for it now - but dang, I was looking forward to upgrade :(

And as much as I wanted to upgrade to Hopper, I ain't willing to go through that right now to do so..Our VIP's meet 90% of our needs...Sure wish there was more hardware choices for legacy equipment..

I'll be screwed when that stuff gets sunsetted or have to make the jump in wire then. Not up for it now - but dang, I was looking forward to upgrade :(

You only need the 3Ghz rated cable from the node to the Hopper(s). Not rated to 3Ghz is not the same as not capable. I'm not sure how diligent Dish techs are on replacing existing RG6 that is not labeled as 3Ghz. My belief is most reasonable quality RG6 will pass 3Ghz even if not officially rated as such. If it's stamped 2.2Ghz, you will likely be OK. Probably even more so if it's older 2.2Ghz cable when 2.2 was the highest rating - quality cable is still quality cable.

Even if it needs to be replaced, the tech should do so as part of the install.

^^ Exactly, I would have them run some RG6 3GHz over the floor. Then after he leaves, use your existing cable. I bet it works if you have RG6 rated at 2.2 or something. Others have done so.

Well - that's great to know...

Don't think my tech was capable or experienced enough to make a call on whether my 2.2 stamped RG6 (which is what it is) is capable of passing 3Ghz :( Pretty by the book as to what they learned in training. Interesting that both dish reps I talked to today were of the same belief as the tech..

I'll have to talk again with one of the advanced techs @ Dish and see what they say.

The techs were willing to run 3Ghz, but my house was pre-wired at construction and I really didn't want them running wire all over again, drilling through interior/exterior walls etc...

It was my call at the time....:(

You only need the 3Ghz rated cable from the node to the Hopper(s). Not rated to 3Ghz is not the same as not capable. I'm not sure how diligent Dish techs are on replacing existing RG6 that is not labeled as 3Ghz. My belief is most reasonable quality RG6 will pass 3Ghz even if not officially rated as such. If it's stamped 2.2Ghz, you will likely be OK. Probably even more so if it's older 2.2Ghz cable when 2.2 was the highest rating - quality cable is still quality cable.

Even if it needs to be replaced, the tech should do so as part of the install.

Don't think my tech was capable or experienced enough to make a call on whether my 2.2 stamped RG6 (which is what it is) is capable of passing 3Ghz :( Pretty by the book as to what they learned in training. Interesting that both dish reps I talked to today were of the same belief as the tech..

I'll have to talk again with one of the advanced techs @ Dish and see what they say.

In the tech's defense, if he is unsure and there is a problem, he'll get dinged. The techs don't have any tools to test the cable. Dish is paranoid about having to have a second truck roll and he was following procedures. Unfortuneatley too many techs probably take the easy way out so they have to have hard gudelines, even though an experienced and reasonable tech should be able to make a judgement call.

They need a reasonable check list to go ahead and try existing RG6 - existing rating, length of runs, have a supervisor OK it and discuss possible drawbacks with the client, etc.

Make sure the tech uses a duo node, sounds like it should be automatic, but in some cases like mine, was not used at first

bmuone said:
Dayton

I'm a hick for asking, but what is a HIC ?

Is it Hardwired Internet Connection ?

Last edited:
In the tech's defense, if he is unsure and there is a problem, he'll get dinged. The techs don't have any tools to test the cable. Dish is paranoid about having to have a second truck roll and he was following procedures. Unfortuneatley too many techs probably take the easy way out so they have to have hard gudelines, even though an experienced and reasonable tech should be able to make a judgement call.

They need a reasonable check list to go ahead and try existing RG6 - existing rating, length of runs, have a supervisor OK it and discuss possible drawbacks with the client, etc.

You're absolutely right...At this point I've pretty much given-up as I don't want to re-wire house...But I have an advanced rep @ Dish who I am staying in contact with and we're going to try and conference with a field manager on this too.

THX

Just because an existing run of rg 6 cable doesn't have 3 ghz stamped on the side, it shouldn't automatically exclude it. The stamp only discloses what the wire was tested at & doesn't necessarily mean it won't work with the higher frequencies.

Last edited:
Just because an existing run of rg 6 cable doesn't have 3 ghz stamped on the side, it shouldn't automatically exclude it. The stamp only discloses what the wire was tested at & doesn't necessarily mean it won't work with the higher frequencies.

And this is just the kind of dialogue and dialogue content I need to continue having with decision makers and those most informed @ Dish...Stay tuned, I hope there is some opportunity to upgrade with my existing wiring :confused:

Last edited:
If the wire is not on dish networks approved parts list, it is supposed to be replaced regardless of being 3ghz or not. Like that direct cable...

If the wire is not on dish networks approved parts list, it is supposed to be replaced regardless of being 3ghz or not. Like that direct cable...

I understand the approved parts list, but what if a pre wired home isn't stamped with 3ghz or any stamp for that matter but is rg 6? Do you automatically start rewiring or go with whats there. I know what the canned response is, looking for a different answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)