Getting Jealous of Directv?

Even with my limited technical knowledge I know there is absolutely no evidence that the labels of the channels that D* has up in engineering mode bear any relationship to the channels they will actually carry nor when they will carry them. It could be well into '08 before some are actually broadcasting, the others never.

As an example, if the Dolans have anything to say about it, there is NO way D* or E* are getting MSG-HD or FSNY-HD ANY TIME in the foreseeable future.

There will undoubtedly be SOME "HD" channels, of limited content, that D* will carry that E* won't (plus the RSN HDs) but I doubt there will be any GREAT difference.

The funny thing with D*'s new satellites is that they may have ended up answering a question no one asked: i.e. with the advent of MPEG4 technology they may not really have NEEDED all that capacity.

=NLK=

But it's good to have extra capacity! We won't know till the new D* HD comes up soon or till after the D11 sat goes up in December but maybe D* will have no more down rezzing and give us full resolution. Now that would be great!
:D

The new D* VOD that they are testing looks fantastic, I am wondering if E* will add something like that soon with the Broadband enabled receivers? Other things that would keep me from D*:

--Less Premium Movie Channels (Namely the paltry HBO selections)

--A horrible excuse for Italian Programming (I dont want to watch Italian News 24 hours a day + they are passing FSC and GOL as Italian Channels)

--I like E* a lot, if by next year they are seriously lacking HD to D* then I might ponder a switch, I always wish E* had more sports, like Sunday Ticket and YES, but hey how much football can one watch on a Sunday, especially in the NY market. The VOD offering may also play a role, but as of right now switching to D* is not a consideration.

But it's good to have extra capacity! We won't know till the new D* HD comes up soon or till after the D11 sat goes up in December but maybe D* will have no more down rezzing and give us full resolution. Now that would be great!
:D

I thought I read somewhere that E* was going to be transmitting MPEG4-HD in "full resolution", depending on your definition of that term. Of course if doing so makes bandwidth scarce on E* then D* WILL have an advantage: heck, even I would like to be able to tell my friends MY HD is in FULL RESOLUTION. :) (I might actually be able to tell the difference).

Switching back to D* is really not an option for me at this point anyway since the Dish-clowns who put up the 2 dishes when I switched FROM D* TO E* couldn't even do it correctly. I can't IMAGINE the problems I'm going to have with D* installers trying to put up that 5LNB beastie, even on my brick chimney. I DID have a decent local installer whose card I lost, but I doubt even HE could do it correctly.

=NLK=

Dish's plans til the end of the year. They are also looking at all of the HD movie channels. Just keep your eyes peeled and you will be surprised.

Coming in September:

A&E
Animal Planet
Big Ten Network
Chiller
CineMax East
CineMax West
CNN
Discovery Channel (simulcast)
Food Network
HBO West
HGTV
History Channel
MHD (MTV)
NFL Network (Full-Time)
Science Channel
Showtime West
Starz! East
Starz! West
Starz! Edge
Starz! Comedy
Starz! Kids & Family
The Movie Channel
The National Geographic Channel
TBS
TLC
Versus/Golf

October 1st

The Weather Channel

November:

RFD TV

Fall 2007:

Bravo
Cartoon
CNBC
FX
HBO2 East
HBO2 West
HBO Family East
HBO Family West
HBO Latino East
HBO Signature East
MoreMax East
Sci-Fi
Sleuth
Speed
USA

21 Regional Sports Networks:

Blackout Rules still apply!

Altitude
Comcast SportsNet Chicago
Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic
FSN Arizona
FSN Bay Area
FSN Detroit
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
FSN Southwest
FSN West
New England Sports Network
SportsNet New York
SportsSouth
Sun Sports
YES

December 2007:

The Tennis Channel

Spring 2008

Disney Channel
Toon Disney
ABC Family
ESPN News
Hallmark Channel
MGM

Dish's plans til the end of the year. They are also looking at all of the HD movie channels. Just keep your eyes peeled and you will be surprised.

Coming in September:

A&E
Animal Planet
Big Ten Network
Chiller
CineMax East
CineMax West
CNN
Food Network
HBO West
HGTV
History Channel
MHD (MTV)
NFL Network (Full-Time)
Science Channel
Showtime West
Starz! East
Starz! West
Starz! Edge
Starz! Comedy
Starz! Kids & Family
The Movie Channel
TBS
TLC
Versus/Golf

October 1st

The Weather Channel

November:

RFD TV

Fall 2007:

Bravo
Cartoon
CNBC
FX
HBO2 East
HBO2 West
HBO Family East
HBO Family West
HBO Latino East
HBO Signature East
MoreMax East
Sci-Fi
Sleuth
Speed
USA

Altitude
FSN Arizona
FSN Bay Area
FSN Detroit
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
FSN Southwest
FSN West
SportsNet New York
SportsSouth
Sun Sports
YES

December 2007:

The Tennis Channel

Spring 2008

Disney Channel
Toon Disney
ABC Family
ESPN News
Hallmark Channel
MGM

You sure thats for E*??

ummmm...errrr.... that is D*s list , not E*:eek:

Funny though that you would post this list as E*'s expansion:D

Hey, I am a D* guy, but should E* subs be jealous, no.

Let's face it, this expansion will help us all. Only reason to be jealous of D* is because you want to watch more of the sports, especially if you wanted Sunday Ticket, MLB EI or/and the BTN. Which I do.
Other than that, I would imagine that sooner than later, most channels will be the same. Hope the MPEG4 gives each provider additional bandwith to get all these channels looking as good as possible.

If E11 had not had its launch delayed and was in orbit now, Dish's tune would probably be very different right now. They would probably have moved E8/E6 already to a new slot and would be testing the new system. When AMC-15 launches at the end of the year they would have a second slot GTG. They would have close to DIRECTV capacity (maybe a little more) in national HD.

I'm not jealous. This competition helps us all in the end. Most of the new HD channels that Directv will add, E* already has so they're catching up. Most likely D* will pass E* by the end of the year but that just keeps pushing E* to add more so it helps us all.

I got a list late last night from a friend at DirecTV and it matches what was posted above.

I should have a lot more within the next 24 - 48 hours to post regarding DirecTV's HD plans. :)

Richie I try to be as objective as I can. I am not here to make friends with the satellite companies, and this lets me speak my mind of how I feel both companies operate.

I don't need to kiss corporate butt like others may do just so they can be "in"

I also pay for my service I don't get free house accounts like many others do. Again this allows me to seak freely without worrying about my feebies going away. :D

BTW I just posted the DirecTV information I talked about. You can see it at the link below.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/105983-directv-hd-channel-lineup-new-post.html

What has been pissing me off is Direct isn't raising their price for their HD package, yet. That could put some pretty serious competitive pressure on E if they do not raise the price.QUOTE]

If you compare the core package prices and the additional cost of HD with E* and D* they average out to be about the same price with all their packages. Niether one will have a price advantage with both services added to your package unless D* ends up rasising their price the advantage goes backe to E* on price.

VEERY INTERESTING .... that list looks closer to earth than the uplink list. But it
does say at the top of the page that it is subject to change. :)

If they had the channels up now and the equivalent of the 622 or Tivo I would probably be tempted, but HR20 is not a fun unit to use and it's limitations are not worth the extra potential channels (imo).

"As an example, if the Dolans have anything to say about it, there is NO way either D* or E* is getting MSG-HD or FSNY-HD ANY TIME in the foreseeable future."

But the pressure must be mounting for them to get HD versions of these channels out to please the advertisers. No?

The September D* List only has the following HD channels not already on E*:

- Regional Sports
- Chiller
- CNN-HD
- TBS-HD
- West Versions of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax - same programming delayed 3 hours
- New Starz-HD channels

That's not very much, as E* has already added most of them. CNN and TBS will undoubtedly be added by E* soon after D*.

I think that E* won't bother to add Chiller any time soon, because it is similar to Monsters-HD.

That only leaves the package of Starz-HD channnels, and E* has enough space for these, so they will likely be added too.

Remember that E* also has lots of channels uplinked that are not available. :D

"- West Versions of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax - same programming delayed 3 hours
- New Starz-HD channels"

If you look at the list that Scott just posted, they mention not to use those channels in marketing to customers since they're still negotiating the agreements.

Coming in September:

A&E
Animal Planet
Big Ten Network
Chiller
CineMax East
CineMax West
CNN
Food Network
HBO West
HGTV
History Channel
MHD (MTV)
NFL Network (Full-Time)
Science Channel
Showtime West
Starz! East
Starz! West
Starz! Edge
Starz! Comedy
Starz! Kids & Family
The Movie Channel
TBS
TLC
Versus/Golf

October 1st

The Weather Channel

November:

RFD TV

Fall 2007:

Bravo
Cartoon
CNBC
FX
HBO2 East
HBO2 West
HBO Family East
HBO Family West
HBO Latino East
HBO Signature East
MoreMax East
Sci-Fi
Sleuth
Speed
USA

Altitude
FSN Arizona
FSN Bay Area
FSN Detroit
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
FSN Southwest
FSN West
SportsNet New York
SportsSouth
Sun Sports
YES

December 2007:

The Tennis Channel

Spring 2008

Disney Channel
Toon Disney
ABC Family
ESPN News
Hallmark Channel
MGM

Hmm... This list looks familiar, oh yeah, it's my list. :D

I can confirm this is all DirecTV. I've been maintaining this list for a few months now:

Projected: DirecTV HD list - DBSTalk.Com

So, who here is looking at the channels lit up in engineer mode on Directv and getting jealous? I must admit, I am. It seems that they will be getting all of the movie channels in HD, and quite a few national channels that we will not get. Not to mention, NESN HD, MSG HD, and FSN NY HD. They have a really impressive list over there. I have to admit, I'm jealous.

I'm no longer jealous because I have both D* and E* so I'm sitting at the table, remotes in each hand, ready to feast! Bring on more HD! :hungry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)