Getting LatinAmerican Directv in the US

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jvargasg

Original poster
May 11, 2006
I have been a directv customer for years here in the US, I am originally from Colombia, South America, and My mom just got Directv down there, then this idea just came to my mind to brign one of her already activated receivers so I could watch Latin America programming here in the US. So I hooked up the receiver to one of the lines from my satellite dish and I get good signal strenght, but no real signal, the receiver keeps telling me "searching for signal" even thoug it picks up the satellite on the satellite signal strenght menu.

Any of you have any ideas?

In a different forum somebody told me that I would need to point my dish different, but that would mess up my US Directv. I have an extra multisatellite dish somewhere in my garage, can somebody give me som advice how to point this dish so I can get the LatinAmerican programming?

Thanks

It is called Latin America for a reason, the signal isn't beamed into the USA. You'll have to make do with Para Todos in the United States.

I know is possible to do, I just wasn't sure how to do it, but some people on other forums has helped me out. I am going to give it a try and will post the results here.
Something else, I think is not legal, I don't know why, but if that is true, then I'll guess I'll do it only to prove my point and then take it off.

You would need to be so very far south in the CONUS damn near right on top of the border and have a 36" or much larger dish with the correct LNB and the different receiver the DirecTV LA uses (not the same as the US models). The footprint does not overlap that much IF AT ALL into the CONUS so this is a LOST CAUSE. AND YES, if you have no legit gear and subscription for reception it is ILLEGAL.

Attachments

• GXY03CSA.jpg
    GXY03CSA.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
D* Latin America can be viewed just fine over much of the southern US with a 1m or less dish and as far north as NYC with a 1.8m dish. LNBs are a bitch to find in this country. Bottom line, not legal in US even with subscription from down south.
Rick

I am trying to do the same with a receiver from Costa Rica. I know people is doing it here in NYC. I also know that d latinamerica is on galaxy 3c at 95ºw. I am able to get fta channels on g3c but I do not think I have the right lnb.

Does anybody know what kind of lnb and where can I get it?

soyticodepz said:
I am trying to do the same with a receiver from Costa Rica. I know people is doing it here in NYC. I also know that d latinamerica is on galaxy 3c at 95ºw. I am able to get fta channels on g3c but I do not think I have the right lnb.

Does anybody know what kind of lnb and where can I get it?

Are you really sure that people is getting Latinamerican Directv programming up in NYC? because I have been researching a lot about this and I have gave up on the idea because I heard that Directv put some kind of blocking for northamerica because a lot of people is doing it and that seems to be illegal, so they wanted to controll it.

I got the multisatellite dish with 3lnbs, the one needed for the "para todos" programming, and I guess that should work to pick up the G3C satellite, but even though I get good signal the directv receiver still tells me that is searching for satellite signal. Any ideas?

hey tico, alguna forma de hablar por email para que compartamos ideas de como hacer esto? como haces para recibir programacion fta? gracias

jvargasg said:
Are you really sure that people is getting Latinamerican Directv programming up in NYC? because I have been researching a lot about this and I have gave up on the idea because I heard that Directv put some kind of blocking for northamerica because a lot of people is doing it and that seems to be illegal, so they wanted to controll it.

I got the multisatellite dish with 3lnbs, the one needed for the "para todos" programming, and I guess that should work to pick up the G3C satellite, but even though I get good signal the directv receiver still tells me that is searching for satellite signal. Any ideas?

hey tico, alguna forma de hablar por email para que compartamos ideas de como hacer esto? como haces para recibir programacion fta? gracias

People have been getting DirecTV Colombia in NYC with a 1.8M dish. The furthest north that I've heard that can get Latin American DBS signal is Chicago, but I forget whether it's DirecTV Latin America or Sky Mexico (from PAS9).

DirecTV Latin America is different from DirecTV Para Todos. DirecTV Latin America has ESPN Latin America and ESPN DOS. They are meant for people who are crazy about the UEFA Champions League. The two ESPNs from Latin America broadcast 8 games/match day. They used to broadcast 10 games/match day 5-6 years ago. It's like a paradise for UEFA Champions League fans. With ESPN2 in the USA, you can only get 1 game/matchday until this past season, when they increased to 2 games.

That was until ESPN Deportes are available on Dish Network. ESPN Deportes also broadcast 8 games/matchday. ESPN Latin America/DOS has lost all its advantages. However, DirecTV Para Todos still doesn't have anything close to that, because DirecTV refuses to carry ESPN Deportes.

This is what you need to get DirecTV LA programming:

- a DirecTV LA LNBF
- a bigger dish pointing to 95W (G3C). It depends on where you live. In northern California, I can get signals with a 36" dish (marginal), but decent signals with a 48" dish.
- a DirecTV LA receiver
- a gray market subscriptions from Central America or northern South America (Colombia/Venezuela). DirecTV Latin America has two beams: southern beam covers Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and northern beam covers Colombia/Venezuela, Central America and Mexico. That's how the signal gets to USA, spillover from Mexico. So if you get a subscription from Argentina, it won't work, but a subscription from Venezuela will.

It used to be easier to get DirecTV Latin America in the U.S. from gray market subs from Mexico. But that branch went bankrupt last year so one has to go the Central America/Venezuela/Colombia route...

rangers00 said:

- a DirecTV LA LNBF
- a bigger dish pointing to 95W (G3C). It depends on where you live. In northern California, I can get signals with a 36" dish (marginal), but decent signals with a 48" dish.
- a DirecTV LA receiver
- a gray market subscriptions from Central America or northern South America (Colombia/Venezuela). DirecTV Latin America has two beams: southern beam covers Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and northern beam covers Colombia/Venezuela, Central America and Mexico. That's how the signal gets to USA, spillover from Mexico. So if you get a subscription from Argentina, it won't work, but a subscription from Venezuela will....

Well thanks for the information, that is really helpful.
I already have the receiver activated and paid for a full year, I have a multisatellite dish, don't know if that works though, I am located in central Alabama so I don't know if that is enough. Where do you think I can find that LA LNB you're talking about?

Thanks

jvargasg said:
Well thanks for the information, that is really helpful.
I already have the receiver activated and paid for a full year, I have a multisatellite dish, don't know if that works though, I am located in central Alabama so I don't know if that is enough. Where do you think I can find that LA LNB you're talking about?

Thanks

How did you get your receiver? I presume you activated service in Costa Rica. When you did that, didn't they install a dish and an LNBF for you? That's the LNBF you need.

If that LNBF cannot be removed (e.g. someone else need it to get signals in Costa Rica), I suggest you go to the local DirecTV office there and buy another one, and take that to America. My relative in Central America got one for me that way.

Alabama is a good location. Forget about the multi-satellite dish you get from DirecTV USA, because that's precisely designed for get signals for 101W, 110W and 119W. Get a standalone round dish for 95W. I suspect you can get decent signals with a 36". You'll definitely get signals with a 48".

Bankrupt? Since when does a merger become a bankruptcy?
Bob
[QUOTE
It used to be easier to get DirecTV Latin America in the U.S. from gray market subs from Mexico. But that branch went bankrupt last year so one has to go the Central America/Venezuela/Colombia route...[/QUOTE]

News Corp bought all of D* and was stuck with similar competing service in Latin America. They are now transitioning Sky and D* customers and some countries keep the Sky brand and others keep the D* brand. It was all over the news last year.
Bob
rangers00 said:
Since when did DirecTV Mexico become a merger? merged with whom?

how to get directv latin america in us?

how can i get directv latin america in southern california, ,,, i'm interested in geting peruvian chanels here in CA.

can i use a subscription from peru, intead of the one in colombia??

People have been getting DirecTV Colombia in NYC with a 1.8M dish. The furthest north that I've heard that can get Latin American DBS signal is Chicago, but I forget whether it's DirecTV Latin America or Sky Mexico (from PAS9).

DirecTV Latin America is different from DirecTV Para Todos. DirecTV Latin America has ESPN Latin America and ESPN DOS. They are meant for people who are crazy about the UEFA Champions League. The two ESPNs from Latin America broadcast 8 games/match day. They used to broadcast 10 games/match day 5-6 years ago. It's like a paradise for UEFA Champions League fans. With ESPN2 in the USA, you can only get 1 game/matchday until this past season, when they increased to 2 games.

That was until ESPN Deportes are available on Dish Network. ESPN Deportes also broadcast 8 games/matchday. ESPN Latin America/DOS has lost all its advantages. However, DirecTV Para Todos still doesn't have anything close to that, because DirecTV refuses to carry ESPN Deportes.

- a DirecTV LA LNBF
- a DirecTV LA receiver
- a gray market subscriptions from Central America or northern South America (Colombia/Venezuela). DirecTV Latin America has two beams: southern beam covers Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and northern beam covers Colombia/Venezuela, Central America and Mexico. That's how the signal gets to USA, spillover from Mexico. So if you get a subscription from Argentina, it won't work, but a subscription from Venezuela will.

It used to be easier to get DirecTV Latin America in the U.S. from gray market subs from Mexico. But that branch went bankrupt last year so one has to go the Central America/Venezuela/Colombia route...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)