Getting local stations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kellie09

Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Hi. My elderly dad has Direct tv and he still receives his local channels from a roof antenna. Even though local channels have been available from directv in his area for years now. He just wasn't aware of it.

Questions:
1. Does he need to get new /special equipment to receive local stations through directv? (he still has his original dish & box which are probably at least 10 years old)

2. Will he be charged for the upgraded equipment?

3. Will directv install it? will they charge him?

Any insight you can provide would be great. Like I said, he's elderly, and I use cable, so I 'm completely clueless on how directv works. Thanks a lot. Kellie.

What dish does he have? And what receiver?
Does he only want the SD locals or the HD?

If HD, then he'll need to upgrade the dish and receiver.
Even if just SD, he probably needs the newer dish.

The answer to questions 2 and 3 is probably yes.
But, you should call direcTV and ask.

Hi. My elderly dad has Direct tv and he still receives his local channels from a roof antenna. Even though local channels have been available from directv in his area for years now. He just wasn't aware of it.

Questions:
1. Does he need to get new /special equipment to receive local stations through directv? (he still has his original dish & box which are probably at least 10 years old)

2. Will he be charged for the upgraded equipment?

3. Will directv install it? will they charge him?

Any insight you can provide would be great. Like I said, he's elderly, and I use cable, so I 'm completely clueless on how directv works. Thanks a lot. Kellie.

Obviously, he has been a DTV customer for at least 10 years - so I think you might be able to get this done for free (the upgrede that is, you will still need to pay for the locals).

When you talk to DTV and they give you a price, tell them you will let them know as you want to get a quote from DN - which would give you a free install with up to date equipment. Odds are they will eat the charge rather than lose a long term customer.

They are pretty hot on customer retention right now.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure of the exact types of equipment he has. But I'm pretty sure they were the most basic types you could get 10-12 years ago. It's just a basic, standard box with a basic dish with the one arm/microphone thing sticking out of it.

I kind of suspected he'd need all new equipment. But I was hoping since he's been such a longtime customer, ( and with all the cable and fios competition) He could get a free upgrade, or at least a big discount.

I'll try to contact directv again. I tried earlier, but I kept getting disconnected. Thanks again.

Thanks Mike. Those are great tips. I'll definitely mention that when talking to them. I was hoping that his longtime loyalty with Directv would be worth something.

Something to keep in mind that if he changes his programming to get locals through Direct, he may have to upgrade his base package. This means that locals would be included in the bill and not added separately, but his bill may go up anyway because of the package change.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)