Getting Locals Setup with new antenna, Help plz!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

adam61

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I tried to look on here for a local channel setup guide, but didn't see one. If I missed it please just link it. I bought an HDTVa indoor antenna (please trust me I know this isn't optimal, but after many battles with the wife, I lost) I have four major affiliates I'd like to pick up FOX/NBC/ABC/CBS. I plugged in the antenna and went to scan digital locals and it only picked up NBC (which is only 8 miles away, but the one I wanted LEAST). It has it locked in at 98-100 signal strength no matter where or which way I face the antenna. That one is easy, game set and match :) The other 3 are 20-25 miles away and obviously I anticipated them being more difficult or impossible. But what is the most efficient way to try and get them???

I'm trying to get some kind of real time meter so as I try different setups it updates me with their signal strength. Can someone please help me out? Thanks!

There is no such thing as a "HDTV" or "digital" antenna; they are either good old fashion VHF, UHF or a combo of the two. And they can come in a few designs, BUT at 25m a low quality indoor job is likely NOT going to do the trick. What is you zip code some we can look up your DAM info?

What is the make & model of that indoor unit you have now?

Sorry when I said HDTVa I was referencing the Terk model HDTVa antenna. Zip code is 75762

Do I assume you are trying to receive the NACOGDOCHES, JACKSONVILLE, TYLER area OTA digitals? And which affiliate in particular? (even though I know you will likely want them all)

I have:

green - uhf KETK-DT 56.1 NBC JACKSONVILLE TX 169° 9.4 22

I want:

yellow - uhf KYTX-DT 19.1 CBS NACOGDOCHES TX 140° 24.8 18
red - vhf KLTV-DT 7.1 ABC TYLER TX 11° 24.7 10
yellow - uhf KFXK 51 FOX LONGVIEW TX 75° 22.8 51

Fox IS digital now antennaweb just hasn't updated.

I can be assured that the indoor model you have will not work well, if at all, for you.

As you see, a wide beam width:
NBC is at 169° heading and 12m
ABC is at 23° heading and 26m (and looks to be VHF Lo band)
CBS is at 132° heading and 29m
FOX is at 78° heading and 28m

And ugly situation to say the least.

I understand that, but is there an option with better feedback for me than just slightly moving the antenna (rescan) move (rescan) etc??? I'm looking for a way to kind of hunt around in different configurations and see if any work.

I am trying to say nicely that the antenna you have is NOT going to work for you; no moving, rescanning, etc will give you satisfactory results IMHO and I really think you are just wasting your time with that unit and going to pull your hair out. You need to get advise from a local that has something up a working like you need, or a professional if your are uncomfortable with the DIY approach. You can try an outdoor, roofline mounted or higher, Channel Master CM4228 (not sure how that will do on the ABC) or maybe a mid-sized local Radio Shack combo VHF/UHF so you can test it out and return it if needed. Maybe the
50" Model: VU-75 XR

I understand it's a tougher sell with an indoor, but it's darn flat around here and I'd like to give it a shot. Just messing around some more I got channel 18 locked at 76 strength with NBC still at 97. How stable will 76 be for me? There's an ice storm outside now so I can't imagine conditions could be much worse. What signal strength do I need to have a semi-reliable signal?

Update:

After I found the second channel I got a boost of energy and here's where I ended up...

KETK-DT 56.1 NBC JACKSONVILLE TX 169° 9.4 22 (95% Strength)
KYTX-DT 19.1 CBS NACOGDOCHES TX 140° 24.8 18 (91% Strength)
KFXK-DT 51.1 FOX LONGVIEW TX 75° 22.8 51 (74% Strength)
KLTV-DT 7.1 ABC TYLER TX 11° 24.7 10 (0% Strength)

Couple quick final questions....

I assume 91 and 95% should be very reliable channels right?

How reliable will a 74% channel be (should I DVR stuff on here or stick to the SD ones on dish?)

Is there a reason I wouldn't even get a peep out of KLTV (ABC)? I understand it's VHF, but I had the VHF elements extended and couldn't even get a pip. Any other tips before I give up on ABC??

I'm VERY pleased I was able to pick up 2 very strong and 1 reasonably well. I knew I would get one, was hoping for 2, and am astonished I got 3. Thanks!

I have the same question as adam. I would like to know if there is a meter than can be connected to the coax and measure the signal strength. The tv that I have doesn't show an actual measurement of strength as Adam has so I don't even know if i'm optimal or not.

I've tried Radio Shack and Best Buy and neither have a clue as to something that would do that for non satellite antennas.

I don't know what receiver you are using, but some do have a signal strength meter in them. I have a Sony HD-200 that has one.

I have the same question as adam. I would like to know if there is a meter than can be connected to the coax and measure the signal strength. The tv that I have doesn't show an actual measurement of strength as Adam has so I don't even know if i'm optimal or not.

I've tried Radio Shack and Best Buy and neither have a clue as to something that would do that for non satellite antennas.

Here is what I am going to do / try next .

Park the TV on the analog channel from the station you are trying to find the digital channel for ( assuming the digital and analog transmitters are on the same tower / location .

Tweek the picture for max quality on the analog channel . Now switch over to digital & re-scan & see if it improved .

I hace used this method on analog & digital C band satellite .

Wyr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts