Getting my first dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Welcome, fellow off gridders, to FTA and SatelliteGuys! What are you using for power? We have solar (3X130W) 8 12 V. deep cycle batteries and two generators right now. (Two others failed.) Xantec inverters. I see you are at the otherside of the country. I have a few Analog receivers, that would fit in a flat rate box, to check out, if you can not find some old used ones locally.

dishis home!!

Well we got the dish home,on top of my Volvo wagon.My car is now known as the Swedish turtle!I'm posting pics of the feed horn.I also most likely messed up the alignment but My husband did do a compass reading before we started.we are going back Tuesday to cut the pipe the guy that installed the system was a real pro,all the hardware is zinc coated so it came apart very well.I also got about 50' of ribbon cable as of right now the feed and motor are still hooked to the cable so I can note what goes where.To answer the off grid questions,we have a 7000 watt powerboss generator with a honda engine and a lincoln welder/generator,we have 2 120 watt solar panel not up yet!and 4 6volt solar batteries and a maxx inverter.To any one thinking of getting a generator don't waste time just get a Honda or at least a honda engine.:)

Also the pipe is down at least 3' in some very strong concrete and the guy filled the pipe with concrete that dish was not going to move!!!!!

Attachments

• dish pics 009.jpg
    dish pics 009.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 102
  • dish pics 010.jpg
    dish pics 010.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 103
  • dish pics 011.jpg
    dish pics 011.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 91
That's a Channel Master C-Band feedhorn assembly. The LNB is a made by Precision and is rated at 17k. I don't know much about Precision LNB's, but the 17k makes me think it's OK. The blue piece is a servo motor/polarotor, it's what changes the polarity from V to H or H to V. The DVB Receiver you said you were bidding for, will not work the Servo Motor, or drive an Actuator. But, you can get a V-Box to drive the Actuator, and if you can wait, Sadoun is coming out with a new model (newer version) of a G-Box2, that will drive an Actuator and control the Polarity from a servo motor. There are a lot of us waiting for this model. I think it's supposed to be on the market in October?
You could also get a different type LNB, an LNBF like the BSC621 or the C/K1. They will do C-Band and Ku-Band, with voltage switching, and the Receiver you bid on would work with both of them for changing Polarity. Good Luck!
Thanks for the pictures and keep on posting!

making it move

Here is a review of a Gbox that seems to be highly desirable for your use.
It may be a bit soon for you to read the review and worry about all the details right now, but at least skip down to Linuxman's post #14 concerning the receivers, for some good info.

GBox and lnb

Well it looks like I'll have to get a new lnb so I'm looking into that for now .I also think there is a chance that the man I got the dish from may have the receiver,when we were getting the dish yesterday he said he may have some things for it that would help me,so I'm going to give him a chance and see if he turns up anything.If not can I use a GBox with the coolsat 6000 that will be coming in this week?I'm checking out all the sites that have been mentioned and have plenty to read up on.Thanks:)

What can I say!? I'm a relative newbie to the C-band. It's been less than a year since I scored my first 8 foot solid aluminum dish - then two monthes to install.

Somehow, I end up with a Birdview solid and a perfect timing, complete course on this site by linuxman in modifying it for a reed sensor. It's installed and now I get just about every satellite from 55.5 west to 137 west - about 15 satellites.

I just love the variety of free, true FTA programming. Of course you have to put up with the "here today, gone tomorrow" thing. I'm always finding something new - 127 west (to me it's just easier remembering the sats by longitude) is cool right now. And I get no bills from any heartless corporation!

I can't think of a better "off-the-grid" addition to a home. The only real question would be the power consumption for everything. Hopefully, you are solar and batteried up well, with maybe a gas generator for a backup.

Welcome and congratulations. You'll stay informed, and you'll be entertained.

No boredom here! Wishing you similar fortunes.

Analog receiver

Well I'm not having any luck finding an old receiver so if anyone has one they want to sell or unload let me know.

I 'm looking into the BSC 621 and the C?K-i lnb ,I've read some of the threads on both and still don't have an idea as to what one would be better for my set up.So if you have any input please let me know.I'm getting an angle finder and laser level from the man who gave me the dish. Thanks!:)

If you want Analog, check ebay for a NextWave receiver, I don't know if it's compatible with the BSC621.
If you need something just to move the Dish, get a VBox / GBox.

I'm going to get a Vbox Or Gbox to move the dish and I think the new lnb will be the best bet for getting the most channels.I have the coolsat 600 coming so now for the stupid question! will all of this work on a ten year old tv,that I'm using a converter box on?:mad:

The change to "Digital" has nothing to do with Satellite, so with your setup, you will see alot.
You will not be able to get HD from satellite, you would need an HD receiver for that.
Almost all HD receivers can "downgrade" for older TVs, you could "upgrade" at your pace.
There is plenty of SD up there though.

Great ! I was sitting here making my FTA shopping list when that question came to mind so thanks for the answers. In a year or two we'll be upgrading the Tv so I'll be a lot more up to speed on all this. So back to the lnb question is one easier to install/fine tune than the other,has anyone found one to preform better or should I just get the one I get the best price on?:)

I'll throw in a vote for the dual-band CK-1 LNBf.
I've seen a lot of people have trouble getting the BSC-621 (there are two models, the -1 and the -2) to work on KU-band.
So, when it came time to put my money on the line, I got the CK-1 unit.
Price is no matter if you get one that causes ya trouble. Well, not at these prices. - :cool:

HOWEVER, let's not put the cart before the horse.
There are several good options for running your current feedhorn and LNB.

- One is the possible Analog or 4DTV receiver the dish-owner may have.
(or getting a cheap analog receiver from someone on line)

- Another solution is to get a DSB receiver with skew/polarity control such as the Pansats I mentioned above.

- Then, there might be the new Vbox from Sadoun, with skew control built in.

- and of course, there is a CK-1 solution which works right out of the box with your Coolsat 6000.

- well, there are a few other solutions , but they might be more complicated or expensive.

Great ! I was sitting here making my FTA shopping list when that question came to mind so thanks for the answers. In a year or two we'll be upgrading the Tv so I'll be a lot more up to speed on all this. So back to the lnb question is one easier to install/fine tune than the other,has anyone found one to preform better or should I just get the one I get the best price on?:)

I keep at least 3 10-footers running here an some times more, an on all 3 have 3 different feed set ups, an will try to give you the pros an cons of them.

BSC-621> on a 10-foot Channel Master (just like you got) works very well for C-band, but signals are down a bit on the ku-band, but by far the cheepest to buy, an any lnb-f takes more time to set up, also the 621 is a noisey when I put it on the spectrum aniz, not the cleanest lnb-f in any way but you get with what you pay for. now the down side of any lnb-f or dual ortho feed is AMC-1 ku their polarization is off a few degrees an will notice it when you look at that bird.

Chapperal Co-Rotor wide band feed, on a 10 1/2 Micro-dine commercal glass dish, by far this is my favorite, an the easyest to set up. but it has a servo motor an most FTA receiver won't work a servo, so you need a receiver to the dish an servo (I use a DSR-922) but you can alway use a better grade lnbs (Norsat 8515 c-band & .5 Galant 100khz ku-lnb). by far this is the best for signal going, but that dish has alot of gain buit in it. an with a servo controled feed when you do view AMC-1 you can offset the skew to make up for their shift. Now the down side of working a co-rotor you have to go back an fort on you're tv inputs to change satellites an make sure that you are on the right satellite for you're FTA to get signal, an also the cost of the feed plus the lnbs.

Dual band ortho feed (Chapperal Bullseye) on a 10-foot Channel Master (just like you'res) now this is the best way to work with a FTA receiver, but it gets costley for the feed then 4 lnbs, (have California Amplifer 17 degree w/running SN# for C-band, an Norsat 4508a w/running SN# for the ku-band), now you will need a switcher an a power inserter also, you can use a DTV 4X8 powered switcher will work great. but you can wrap up some money in just the feed an lnbs fast. this is by far great signal for C & Ku both, far better than the BSC-621 could ever do. now with a ortho feed you still have a poor signal on AMC-1 ku but it will be watchable, now a ortho feed is not for every one they take a little more time to set up an get right, but work C & Ku with a FTA receiver its about the best in my book.

Now Kzinbastet on all my dishes I use that channel master scalar ring with the 3 1/4 bolts that holds the feed, to center the feed throat in all my dishes here, an that was 1 of Channel Master great designs that they had. an if you need a comparison of signal quality from the 621 to the ortho, can give them to you, would not be fair to compare with the Co-rotor due to the gain of the dish it is on. hope all helps you to make you're shopping list up, an all the best to you an you're family, an getting you're dish up an running.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)