getting my first dvr hooked up tommorrow

First off, how many receivers do you have? Don't take the 612 unless the cost difference for a 722 is too much.

To answer the question, I have no idea. Right now there is over 5800 movies listed and you would just have to look to see what's free

First off, how many receivers do you have? Don't take the 612 unless the cost difference for a 722 is too much.

To answer the question, I have no idea. Right now there is over 5800 movies listed and you would just have to look to see what's free

i am upgrading the 211 to the 612, i have a 322 on my other two tvs because they are sd, they said the 612 best suits me and thats what im set up to get.

In my opinion you will be disappointed if you are getting a DVR for VOD, especially if you are going into it for free downloads. A DVR is must have for me, for many reasons, but VOD downloads is not one of them. Very slow downloads, especially HD. I don't find the selections very compelling. But if you are into current movies, PPV works very well.
Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance.....

i am upgrading the 211 to the 612, i have a 322 on my other two tvs because they are sd, they said the 612 best suits me and thats what im set up to get.

You should've gotten a 722. They work much better than a 612. I upgraded my 612 to a 722 because I could not stand the slowness of the 612!

Last edited:
In my opinion you will be disappointed if you are getting a DVR for VOD, especially if you are going into it for free downloads. A DVR is must have for me, for many reasons, but VOD downloads is not one of them. Very slow downloads, especially HD. I don't find the selections very compelling. But if you are into current movies, PPV works very well.
Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance.....
I Second this.. VOD is just not there yet for them. I think they really need to concentrate on making an APP that runs on the DVR's that acts more like a Netflix or Hulu plugin ... their VOD would be much better if they worked with companies that already have what appears to be an excellent bandwidth and usability space available, rather than do a direct competition with an all-too-over-hypted idolitrized term like "VOD".

As further example of how underperforming and ill thought out VOD on Dish is ... I've a 722k ... there are 21 events for the "show" Live Performances .... I go into this section on screen.. and down the LEFT side I have the rectangular box that shows the event is "Live Performances" but I must go into EACH AND EVERY ONE of those 21 items to see if one of them is for Alice in Chains .. or for Rush, or any other artist ...

TWENTY ONE TIMES cursoring through just to see that there's nothing there of interest, no Yes, no Ozric Tentacles, sure maybe fringe events ... but even just to see if it might be something to look at, I have to go through all 21 of them to see who the artist is.. there's no text only listing, no guide like flow to the information ... and this is again dish's stupidity at designing an interface that they didn't populate with REAL data to see how wholey inadequate it was..

a more proper VOD would treat something like "by show" in some form of heirarchy ... I'm in "Live Performances" give me a listing of the artists in those performances ... if I want to see more information on any *one* artist's "live performance show" then I can arrow down to just that artist ... hit info or "enter" and get the same info box I get now by default.

horrible just having to think of it.. but I found one the other day (thought it was live performances) and it had over 60 events listed, and you'd have to go into all 60 just to see who was performing.. at half way into it ... I realized how stupid it was trying to go through VOD for this.. and went back to my computer.

So.. to O.P. you're not going to be happy with VOD ... but DVR functions those are must ... "time slipping" TV content is pretty much becoming the norm, and having the ability to do three shows at once ... (one pre-recorded, and recording two more at the same time) nearly priceless.. ("nearly priceless" 17 dollars if you read your bill for "DVR" fees, YMMV depending on equipment) :)

If there is no additional cost for the upgrade, take a 722, bigger hard-drive, more stable in my opinion, put it in single mode and the tech will welcome the additional 4 points.

Might have been a good idea (sans VOD) to simply add an EHD to the 211 to get essentially the same DVR functionality and save the monthly DVR fee...

they didn't say anything about the 722 being extra,just said the 612 is best for me,but they are coming between 12pm and 5pm tommorrow.don't think i can change it now

I can get it changed for you if you would like, also can give any details about different cost, etc (send me a PM). Also thought you should know that IPVOD (the stuff you download) is not available on the 612 yet, so you probably want to go with a 722/722k if you really want it for VOD

Dish VOD "over the internet" sucks. You won't use it. Dish will also download (via satellite) about 25 movies they will keep on the hard drive. The selection rotates over time, but basically mirrors the current PPV selections. The advantage to these is you can start them when you want without waiting for the next PPV start time.

I agree on the 722 though. Call back and change the order if you can - or try PMing the DIRT members on the board.

Once you get used to a DVR, watching non-DVR tv will be painful. You might want to see about replacing the 322 as well. In under a week you will be looking for the pause, rewind, etc buttins on the non dvr TVs and cursing yourself for not having it.

Dish VOD "over the internet" sucks. You won't use it. Dish will also download (via satellite) about 25 movies they will keep on the hard drive. The selection rotates over time, but basically mirrors the current PPV selections. The advantage to these is you can start them when you want without waiting for the next PPV start time.

I agree on the 722 though. Call back and change the order if you can - or try PMing the DIRT members on the board.

Once you get used to a DVR, watching non-DVR tv will be painful. You might want to see about replacing the 322 as well. In under a week you will be looking for the pause, rewind, etc buttins on the non dvr TVs and cursing yourself for not having it.

hahahahaha,i sent matt a pm

Have you visited VOD lately? I visited it recently and there are MANY more titles available than there used to be.
it doesn't matter how many titles they have ... and it would make it potentially much worse as they add stuff..

(to elaborate ... with visual aides)

Case in point, my example 21 instances of "Live Performances" and you'd have to cursor in to every single instance just to find out who the performer was? Even popular shows are listed the same way as instances of said Show (left hand side, with rectangular box identifying "the show") and requiring you to cursor into each episode to find what each one is.. rather than listing in a lengthwise format...

I found very few cases of shows listing some form of ID differently .. case in point.. BBCA - Dr Who ... each brick down the left side showed DR Who 5.01 / 5.02 / 5.03 / 5.04 and 5.12
IMG_3313.JPG

But for the most part.. any "show" or listing that had multiple episodes were just stupidily listed as "that show" all down the left side.. screen pictures of some of those ...

Show "Get Out" ... 1 of 4 ... have to go into each to see what they are?
IMG_3308.JPGIMG_3309.JPG

Attack of the Show 1 of 7 ... so cursor 6 more times just to find out an episode number, or name, or what not..
IMG_3314.JPG

You like Harry Potter? I hope so.. cause there's 20 instances and you have no idea if its a making of, or if its dvd extra or only 13 mins like this shot shows.. 1 of 20
IMG_3316.JPG

Like a bit of music video entertainment? sure 1 of 16 called "Music Video" oh.. the first one is Darius Rucker (or as everyone else knows him "Hooty and the blowfish that hooty guy" so the other 15 are??? get out your cursor thumb... you're going to need it.

IMG_3321.JPG

or check out clips on Video Games .... 33 to choose from.. all called "Video Games"

IMG_3315.JPG

I hope that clears up the "what the hell is he talking about" problems ... I probably should have posted it that way the first time ... I mean really does this stuff ever sink in, to people at Dish?

and then I've got two more gripes on the whole VOD thing (as pertains to 722k) ... 1 ... what "back" key are they talking about? The Skip back and Rewind/back buttons don't work... only the "Cancel" button does, and of course who thinks "Cancel" should also mean "Back - up one level"? and exactly how does "Tron Legacy" fit into a listing of VOD "By Network" its a full length movie, and it actually worked its way in the "Browse by Network" ???

IMG_3307.JPG IMG_3322.JPG

This is all stuff that points out how bad dish really is at actually putting together a working system from an idea. The Examples of stuff above.. wouldn't have made it past BETA if they really cared about what they were doing, you break off these technologies into working groups ... you add people from other departments as needed for their help or the role they currently play .... and you solve these problems .. *before* rolling out a hap hazzardly thrown together interface, with both visual and functionality issues addressed, rather than sitting a chimp in front of a dart board "what idea do we put out today bubbles?" dart is thrown ... AH today its VOD ... tomorrow what? Whole home DVR? I can't wait to hear the problems with sling extenders..​

Attachments

• IMG_3312.JPG
    IMG_3312.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3310.JPG
    IMG_3310.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3311.JPG
    IMG_3311.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 132
Two suggestions for you. #1 do not take a 622 but insist on a 722. Period end of that discussion. It would be like excepting a 720 display when a 1080p display is available. #2, after the tech leaves call someone that has had the same DVR for awhile and have him or her show you what the tech didn't. From what I have seen in the past that will be a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts