Getting rid of dish network

timbuckone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
I have finally decided to get rid of dish network. The reason is their picture quality is getting worse and I am tired of scanning so many channels that I have no interest in and their idea of adding new channels is adding bingo tv , a polish channel, german channels and others that very few people have an interest for. I am in love with High definition picture quality and converted to Voom which has a simple channel lineup that is back to the simple channel package and has a picture and sound quality that is unbelievable. I wish more people would experience what they are missing.

Glad you are happy with your new provider. Enjoy it while it lasts. Please keep your V* cheerleading in the V* forums. Read your other posts, this type of thing won't help V*, it will just annoy people.

NightRyder

if you had taken the time to actually learn how to use your dish system, you won't have had to go though "all those" channels you weren't interested in. As far as the the "foreign" channels, there is a huge interest, just probably not to someone born here in this country. If it wasn't working for Dish, then Direct and others wouldn't be adding those channels into their lineups as well. Besides, with most of "those" channels, you have to subscribe to them to get them so I don't see where you were really effected by it either with your "scanning through" or with your wallet.
One last thing, who are you going to switch too when Voom goes dark???

timbuckone said:
I have finally decided to get rid of dish network. The reason is their picture quality is getting worse and I am tired of scanning so many channels that I have no interest in and their idea of adding new channels is adding bingo tv , a polish channel, german channels and others that very few people have an interest for. I am in love with High definition picture quality and converted to Voom which has a simple channel lineup that is back to the simple channel package and has a picture and sound quality that is unbelievable. I wish more people would experience what they are missing.

i applaud you for having the stones to go to voom right now. they do look attractive, but until they get everything figured out, i would wait on them.

I also ditched Dish. It is VERY difficult to do.
You get rep "A", tell them you want to quit they say "OK, may I ask why?" you tell them they try to overcome your objection, then they say they have to transfer you. Wait 10 minutes. Same rigamarole. Rinse, Repeat, after the THIRD guy asked me "OK, may I ask why?" I said "I will be happy to tell you, if you can promise me you will be able to cancel me without transferring me to someone else.". He said he couldn't, so transferred me AGAIN to a very nice lady who after 10 minutes of saying "HDTV outlook is poor, hardware rates aren't comparable to comcast right now, please cancel me" FINALLY cancelled me.

I intend to come back (I love Dish network) but they have to SHOW their commitment to HDTV first.

This isn't important to anyone reading, so /flamesuit on.

-Allen

I wonder if it is possible to cancel your service over the E* website. Maybe that is a way of getting around all of the rigamarole.

akm3 said:
This isn't important to anyone reading, so /flamesuit on.

-Allen

No flames. You posted your experience with Dish and your valid reason for leaving. This is quite appropriate.

You didn't use your 1st post in a E* forum as a commercial for another provider, or to further some cultist "save V*" scheme that select disciples of the service seem so fond of. "Oh if they would only try it they would become converts too." Give us a break. :rolleyes:

NightRyder

I found nothing wrong with his post. He stated he left Dish and why. He then stated he went to another provider and he's happy with them. It's no different than the many other posts from others that have dropped Dish and switched to someone else. I know I for one would tell the people that have a certain provider I dropped why, how I was treated, and how much happier I am with another provider. It's no different than pushing Dish to people that don't have it telling them why they should switch. Word of mouth advertiement and customer satisfaction is the cheapest advertisement a business could hope for.

Before we dropped Dish I asked my wife just to make certain she wanted to get rid of it. We discussed the same issues of picture quality degredation over the past 2 years we've had the service and the higher rates only to be offset with more bs shopping channels. We even discussed the option of just getting the internationals since she speaks and understands German, Russian, Slovakian, and Czech. She said the only thing that would hold her interest was if they added CT1, CT2, Nova, Prima, and some other Czech national channels since she is a card carryin' Czech citizen. She was familer with the Russian and German channels but they didn't hold her enough to keep Dish.

At the end of the discussion lower pq, almost one third of the channels being a waste of band width, raising rates, all the lies, and the fact the free cable we get actually has a better pq than Dish it was a no brainer.

Also, I would think that if Dish Network did allow cancellation of services though their website the churn rate would be far higher than it is. I'd dare say most people have heard the horror stories about what it takes to cancel Dish Network and figure it's not worth the hassel and fight. It's damn near on a cult like level the stuff they pull in order to keep a person from leaving.

I'm holding my nose and switching to cable today -- after 8+ years with Dish. Reasons? Simple:

* Buggy receivers (my 811 for example)
* No new HD in too long
* No ability to lease HD DVR (unless you shell out $250 first)
* Avoid upcoming MPEG-4 hardware switch madness
* Cable is cheaper and has better HD options for me (I'm psyched for MLB on INHD)
* All locals in HD (not just the ones I can squeeze out of my OTA antenna)
* Pissed off at too many years of E* BS

It's a sad day in many ways, but having an HD DVR and programming worth recording should help ease the pain. I too will come back to Dish if they get their act together.

Cheers and good luck!

Dan

MustangLX89: There were other motives behind that post and that's all I'm going to say about that.

I am glad you have a new superior provider, I hope that you are now content and can move beyond your bad experience with E*. I also sincerely hope that you do not become one of the sad cases who is unable to let go of their anger and feels some baffling need to revisit your past experience with mind numbing frequency. Take care.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
... I also sincerely hope that you do not become one of the sad cases who is unable to let go of their anger and feels some baffling need to revisit your past experience with mind numbing frequency. Take care.

NightRyder
Too late for MustangLX89 and korsjs. They have become Cable disciples, and are out to convert the masses.

There is no one more righteous than a converted sinner.

mdonnelly said:
Too late for MustangLX89 and korsjs. They have become Cable disciples, and are out to convert the masses.

I just don't understand the compulsion. I had a bad experience with my former cell phone provider, I switched to a new carrier and am happy with them. I have no desire to hang out at my old providers support forum and recount my experience. :confused:

NightRyder

I just cancelled Dish today after having been a customer since December 1996! I cancelled because Charlie is content to be the "also ran" with regard to HDTV...his HD stance is cavalier at best. I also wasn't happy about the recent price increase and their DVRs have been buggy.

They offered me an 811 receiver for free and 1 month free programming to stay.

Ahh, the voice of one who likes to ASSume more than he really knows. As I stated in my above post I would be willing to return for the internation channels I mentioned but those are it. I'm far from a converted disciple of anything or any service provider. I'm also not out to convert anyone from one service to another. I'm just voicing my opinion of them in a place where others are looking for information on whether or not to choose a provider I had. I go where the quality, money, and support are. Right now that is with the provider I have at the moment. Chances are if I moved back to Texas (depending on where) I'd get a dish though not Dish Network. I say depending on where because my last location had more than enough HD channels within my reach. Down there cable was far more expensive than a sat dish. Here they are just about on par with each other. At the moment I don't pay anything for more channels than Dish at a better picture quality. I'd be a damn fool to dump $50 a month into a sat dish of a lower standard. You may have the money but I don't. I'm not angry any longer at them but I damn sure am not about to give them any positive feedback for bending me over either.

Hell, I own a convertible that had a shoddy top installed by a dealer near here. Usually when people ask whom I had do the work I don't recommend them. when I'm in the appropriate forum I also do likewise. Why should I tout them as good when they are not. Why should I not voice my displeasure or my experience when others are facing the choice of using them. This case is no different.

Keep making ASSumptions though. I'm not the one looking like a zealous "convert" as you put it.

I switched to Dish two years ago because they had a DVR and my cable co. didn't. Now my cable co. can lease me an HD DVR right now at a reasonable rate, so I'm tranistioning back to them... giving Dish until the end of my 811 upgrade contract (12/05) to launch, or at the very least, announce plans for expanded HD services. Cable is still more expensive, but at least currently, I'm getting what I'm paying for...in this case the latest HD technology.

Unlike the original poster, I could never see myself switching to Voom so long as their HD DVR is only on paper.

I just switched to Dish from TW. I have an 811 and a PVR 721 that a friend gave me who switched to TW a few months ago. I must admit, TW's picture quality is much better. It's not noticeable on my PVR 721, 27" TV, but the 811 on a 55" is quite poor and I'm not happy. HD looks really nice though... I didn't sign a contract so I might switch back to TW after about 6 months.

Dish needs to get rid of crap channels, so they won't have to over compress. Carrying all those local channels really screwed things up for Dish.. The don’t have the bandwidth for it.

I just switched to Dish from TW. I have an 811 and a PVR 721 that a friend gave me who switched to TW a few months ago. I must admit, TW's picture quality is much better. It's not noticeable on my PVR 721, 27" TV, but the 811 on a 55" is quite poor and I'm not happy. HD looks really nice though... I didn't sign a contract so I might switch back to TW after about 6 months.

Dish needs to get rid of crap channels, so they won't have to over compress. Carrying all those local channels really screwed things up for Dish.. The don’t have the bandwidth for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)