Getting sick of VOOM!!!

myerardi

Original poster
May 21, 2004
I don't usually respond to many forums. I prefer to read and learn from what others say. However, I am getting so sick of not getting a consistantly good picture and audio. I work 12 hour shifts, so several days may pass without me turning it on. But EVERY time I do there is a problem! Two days ago it was rain related poor signal. Voom told me that the problem was that I did not put the receiver to sleep at night so that new software could be downloaded. Tonight, the receiver was froze. I turned the system off and rebooted. Then I got only channel 100! A call to Voom ( its now1130pm) resulted in a long wait due to "high" volume. I was then automatically disconnected! Believe me, I really want Voom to succeed with HDTV. But either this venture is being funded by people with more money than brains or the so called technical experts at Voom don't know what they're doing. I've had D* for years- never any problems. I know there are many people who work at Voom who read this forum. Please listen- I'm not going to pay nearly $100 per month for ever for this inferior product.

Thanks for listening, and no getting it off my chest does not make me feel any better. I want good reliable HDTV!!!

I had it with Voom after only 10 days. I was disappointed and my wife was getting frustrated and displayed her anger to me about the problems and wanted to switch back to Direct TV. When I did the switch back Direct TV offered a free Direct Tivo. As soon as Direct adds more HD channels I will be getting their HD receiver.

myerardi said:
I don't usually respond to many forums. I prefer to read and learn from what others say. However, I am getting so sick of not getting a consistantly good picture and audio. I work 12 hour shifts, so several days may pass without me turning it on. But EVERY time I do there is a problem! Two days ago it was rain related poor signal. Voom told me that the problem was that I did not put the receiver to sleep at night so that new software could be downloaded. Tonight, the receiver was froze. I turned the system off and rebooted. Then I got only channel 100! A call to Voom ( its now1130pm) resulted in a long wait due to "high" volume. I was then automatically disconnected! Believe me, I really want Voom to succeed with HDTV. But either this venture is being funded by people with more money than brains or the so called technical experts at Voom don't know what they're doing. I've had D* for years- never any problems. I know there are many people who work at Voom who read this forum. Please listen- I'm not going to pay nearly $100 per month for ever for this inferior product.

Thanks for listening, and no getting it off my chest does not make me feel any better. I want good reliable HDTV!!!

Welcome to the fourum.

What's your signal strength on a day without rain or clouds?
Do you have the new software already in your stb?

to resolve the freezing (which may be due to not having the new software install) you need to power off the stb at night. To get it back and running did you try unpluggin/plugging the receiver. I know it gets frustrated but if you get the new software you should not have more stb freezing problems.

We have been on VOOM for over a week and have had consistently high quality picture, signal, sound, performance, etc. The box locked up a couple of times before the software upgrade, and maybe once since then. We use VOOM a lot. I notice a bit of sparklies on a couple of SD channels, no big deal. All the HD channels are superb in video and audio.

Not bragging, just suggesting that the problem has to be with your setup -- the dish isn't pointed right, the stb is bad, or ??

We are 60 miles north of San Francisco on the left coast where the signal should be weaker than most other parts of the U.S., yet it comes through loud and clear.

I have VOOM and Directv and I use VOOM a whole lot more than Directv. The only reason I have Directv....and this is the truth....are because of the following ch's: PBS KIDS , NICK WEST, NICKTOON, DYI, and QVC. If VOOM added those ch's then I would upgrade to VA VA Voom package and that would be it for Directv.

Getting sick of Voom!!

Sean, thanks for the welcome. Signal strength when it lasted rained was 58-62. Last night with no audio or video was 92-96.After the SR told me about the sleep mode I have been using it at night. Nothing has happened to improve my problems. A service call has been set up. As I stated, I really want Voom to work and offer even more HD content.The only reason I keep D* is PPV.

Have had Voom for a few weeks now and have not had any prob.The picture quality has not changed ...... VERRY CLEAR ! Have not lost signal !
NO jittering of screen ! and I have not rebooted the STB one time ?????
MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm ???
Seem to see alot of people rebooting befor the first download.
Maybe I am just lucky ?

Johnfaas- same for me, but it has been 5 months. Only 1 lockup, and I caused it by being impatient. Only 1 episode of rain fade when signal went from 95 to 79. Judging from problems reported throughout the forum, I think YES, we are lucky, but I'm counting my blessings.

myerardi, where are you located? Do you have an 18" dish? I've been vooming for 2 1/2 months now with a 24" dish and I rarely lose my signal and I live up in the Pacific Northwest.

I have D* and reliable HDTV is not always possible. I have sound issues with them at least twice a month. The sound track will be slightly off from the video. Now that doesn't sound like a big deal but trust me it is, especially when you have 3 watchable channels to choose from. Besides that everyone is going off about hdnet which I find extremely boring and repetitive. How many brainless twits can you find to host some random show about superbowl parties or bars in las vegas.

At this point if they can get all my OTA working and they strive to keep adding channels, i'll look forward to giving V* a chance. They would have to screw up royally for days on end for me to go back to d*.

Well it amazes me that some people don't see the PQ problems with VOOM. You say it's our setup, I say it's because you can't see what we see (kinda like rainbows, screen door, etc). The 'snow' is STILL on the SD channels, the sound is STILL low on certain channels (ie comedy central), and there is STILL microstutters (my signal quality is mid/high 90's).

I would just like to say that I have had Voom for 4 days now...
All OTA channels came in on the first try... (35 miles away)
My box has frozen twice, but reboot fixed it...
I think the PQ is great....

Note: This is not directed at the original poster, just negative posters in general...

I am a little tired of people posting about how much they hate Voom...
Seriously, there is NO CONTRACT!
Get up, and get out... :rolleyes:
Don't let the door hit ya...

The internet allows COMPLAINERS a soap box, and they love to take advantage of it. I am sure a lot of the people who complain the loudest are
the same people who complain about everything... :smug

It sounds like in your case, your installer did a bad job peaking the satellite... Sorry.

slffl said:
Well it amazes me that some people don't see the PQ problems with VOOM. You say it's our setup, I say it's because you can't see what we see (kinda like rainbows, screen door, etc). The 'snow' is STILL on the SD channels, the sound is STILL low on certain channels (ie comedy central), and there is STILL microstutters (my signal quality is mid/high 90's).

It amazes me how far off-topic your remark is. This was about a signal issue, not a picture issue.

Any opportunity to bash the product...

cameron119 said:
It amazes me how far off-topic your remark is. This was about a signal issue, not a picture issue.

Any opportunity to bash the product...

Same impression here...

For what its worth, I had all the problems mentioned in first post for the first two months. About 50% of the time the picture was unwatchable due to the breakups and pixelation. The box would lockup and needed frequent reboots. I called Voom and they had the STB changed out but this did not help any. On the second visit, they removed the diplexers and ran a second cable. The CSR mentioned that the connectors the prior tech had used were inferior and he replaced them. The picture and sound have been perfect since, except for snow on CNN and a few other SD channels.

I am absolutely sure that there are people who have had problems with Voom, whether it is installations, bad equipment, or pq. I have to say that mine has been fine so far. Yes, the original programming leaves a lot to be desired, but it is more than I had on cable where my extended basic ran me $48 a month with no hd. Voom is new and yet there are many who expect it to instantly match up with other satellite providers and to live up to their expectations concerning program content. Whether Voom survives or not, it is the one that will be driving others towards providing more hd channels and choices and more hd programming content. I am happy to be in on it during its growing stages. Voom may stumble along the way, but it may be the strutting and confident big boys who will be looking to catch up.

I've had some PQ issues on the SD channels, but who the hell cares? They looked bad when I had Dish Network, too -- maybe a bit better then, but that's like saying a Le Car is better than a Yugo. Both were so bad that they were only worth watching if the program were exceptionally entertaining.

I think most of the SD cable networks should be ashamed for the second-rate signal quality they routinely pump out for their product. We've all seen what good SD programming can look like -- and there's no way networks like Comedy Central aren't at least *partly* responsible for how bad their feeds look. Heck, Comedy Central even looks mediocre on cable.

slffl said:

What amazes is me is just how wonderful the HD PQ of Voom is!!! My SD is very good but could be better. But my HD channels are truly amazing. So whine away, I'm watching and enjoying Voom!!!

Oh, and did I mention I love fanboys who call you a whiner, crazy, or idiot, if you don't do anything but praise their favorite brand names (in this case VOOM)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts