Getting started in FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VinceT3

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Rainsalot Florida
Ok, I'm been a E* guy for a short while now. Been reading up on here for a while as well. The more I read about FTA the more interested in it I become.

I decided to take a little dip and get a PC card to see whats out there. Right now I'm only pointed at 110, 119, & 61.5 but I do get 3 channels (cbs, abc, and nasa) via my pc card. I wanted to attach to another location, but I didn't want to muck with my current setup (would suck if I couldn't get it back in posistion) :)

Anyway, my end goal would be to get 1 or 2 T90's and pick up most of the spectrum, however I don't want to plung into my pockets that deep yet. So my plan was to use my brothers old d* dish as my test bed, but unfortunately he ditched it already.

Any advise on a cheep way to start out? I know the local BestBuy sells D* 3lnb dishes for around 60 bux. Not sure about RadioShack, I think they sell E* dishes. Would either of those work? Would it be better to order from some place online that has a dish/lnb setup that may be useful even after my inital tests or should I just get the cheepest thing I can find and test with that? I wasn't sure if ku-band lnb's varied between providers (D*, E*, FTA, etc)?

Any light reading always helps, any help with a 102g would greatly be appreciated as well. :)

This is all you can expect to get with a small dish......

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=34131

You NEED at least a 30" dish and liner Ku LNBF for 99% of the FTA channels up there. For just a few dollars more than whay you would pay for a DirecTV Phase III dish you would be able to get the above 30" and Ku LNBF.

Check out our gold sponsors at the top of the page!

Last edited:
the little grey dishes have only been good for music channels on 119 and NASA (same bird) IMHO. Good idea to invest in a solid (solid meaning good quality) Ku dish sold by one of our sponsors and check out whats really up there. It's worth it. When you do get started, G10 is fun to start with.

I do not currently have an FTA setup but I am very interested in getting one. I have a Direcway Dish that I no longer use fo Internet and would like to utilize it if possible. I have a few questions regarding receivers and reutilization of the Direcway Dish.

1. I have read the receiver product reviews but things change so quickly. Which Receiver/Setup do you recommend currently? PVR and HD not important. Receiver with Component Video and optical (AC3) out preferred.

2. Can I get sufficient reception of all FTA Sats with the Direcway Dish (with upgraded Invacom LNB) provided I install a motor?

3. Has anyone successfully installed a motor on the Direcway Dish (it's a heavy unit!)? If so, which motor works best?

I live in Lemoore, California (central San Joaquin Valley about 40 miles south of Fresno). Unobstructed view of southern sky.

Current DBS system: DishNetwork VIP-622 and DVR-508 with Dish 1000.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts