Getting started in XM

Blackhawk1

Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Hello All,

I've recently sparked an interest in XM and have read through pasts post to learn as much as I can. I think I'm making the right choice by going with XM due to their channel availability. Now that I've made my choice on which service, I now have to select a unit.

What's caught my eye the most is the XM Roady2. It's small, and wouldn't be in the way of much, seeing as how I'll be installing it in a single-cab pickup. I see that both Wal-Mart and Best Buy carry this model, and I've done my research on the Delphi site, but I can't seem to find wether or not other accessories are required in order to use this unit (i.e. an antenna, mount, etc).

I may purchase the unit from the local Wal Mart just for convenience. If I bought this unit is everything included that's needed for an installation? Or would I have to purchase other things, if so, what?

One last concern being does XM have trouble with reception during cloudy or stormy days? I'm from a part of rural west-central Georgia and the location we live it's even hard to get cell-phone service. Would I still be alright? Our neighbor uses XM exclusively in his tractor (yep, tractor :yes ), and pickup, but I haven't had the chance to talk with him yet. Due to his use I'd only assume that he wouldn't be installing the units if they had bad reception.

At any rate, thanks in advance for all replies and the time.

Blackhawk

Welcome to Satelliteguys.us. We hope you find this forum informative.

The basic set up is a magnetic antenna that will serve you best on the top of your cab. You may get by with the antenna on the dashboard, but are susceptible to more dropouts this way. The Roady2 comes with vent and adhesive mounting options. Just follow the instructions that are included. The unit can be wired directly for best sound quality or be FM transmitted to your existing truck radio.

Here is a Picture of my Roady2 install. I have it connected through my Sirius Kenwood head unit. The included instructions are very easy to follow and you should have no problem installing the Roady2.

As far as trouble with reception in stormy weather, there is none.

The roady 2 comes with everything you need to install it including the antenna.

Xm is not effected by rain fade like DBS systems are. I have been in so really really heavy rain and not had a problem. What will give it problems though is heavy tree cover, mountains and tall buildings.

The only way to know for sure if your going to have a problem is to buy it and check it out.

I can only reply to the reception question. Have had XM for approx. 3 years now. We have it on all night every night of the year. We also take it with us on vacation with the boombox extra. We live in the Cleveland area, and in all that time, can only remember 2 or 3 times when very heavy weather interrupted reception. So you should not worry about that. Will leave the question of what is included with the Roady up to others. Go for it.

Thanks for the welcome and the replies!

So, if I go with the Delphi Roady2 all I'll need to buy (but am not required to) is an external antenna?

Blackhawk1 said:
Thanks for the welcome and the replies!

So, if I go with the Delphi Roady2 all I'll need to buy (but am not required to) is an external antenna?

If you purchase the Roady2 new from a retailer, the antenna is included.

Alright, thanks guys. I hope to have it by the end of next week. If any questions pop up between now and then I'll send them on through.

Thanks again for the help.

Well guys, I bought the Delphi Roady2 today, and have not installed it yet. Is there anything I need to be sure of or take note of when installing? Any quick tips? Right now I'm just glad to have it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Blackhawk1 said:
Well guys, I bought the Delphi Roady2 today, and have not installed it yet. Is there anything I need to be sure of or take note of when installing? Any quick tips? Right now I'm just glad to have it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Yeah make sure you do not cut or break the antenna wire because then you'll have to go and buy a $30 antenna. Trust me I know :cool:

Well, we've got it all installed, but I'm going to do some wire re-routing and hide as much as I can. I'll also fork out to buy the adapter to hide the cigarette lighter thing and all of that. Overall I'm happy. I'll get the service tomorrow, right now the website is not working like it should, plus I'll get in some time to mess around with it.

Blackhawk1 said:
Well, we've got it all installed, but I'm going to do some wire re-routing and hide as much as I can. I'll also fork out to buy the adapter to hide the cigarette lighter thing and all of that. Overall I'm happy. I'll get the service tomorrow, right now the website is not working like it should, plus I'll get in some time to mess around with it.

Enjoy! :)

Blackhawk1 said:
The website was messed up when I got mine... they activated over the phone with the website price... (be sure and tell them)

Yes enjoy... I have had mine about 2 months and have gotten 2 more for co-workers thanks to a deal posted by minorthr... ( I have had Sirius for over a year ) I too live in a rural... radio sucks area... Satellite Radio is the best thing that happened for me when driving...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)