Getting Started with FTA & OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

remuda

Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Texas
Way back when, I remember commercials touting "no more free tv." However, I didn't really understand it at the time. But none the less, I became a subscriber to cable, and then latter, to d*network.

But with Feb 19 (and with a new house [hence, broke] needing good tv feeds), I began to see the benefits of OTA. I mean, digital (HD) via local networks, wow! Awesome!

Now, I'm past that and want more. :D

My mom has a 7.5' mesh dish form the late 80's (she is begging me to take it down) and [now] I want to make the thing work. BTW, I looked at my d*n bill and saw that I'm paying for channels that are totally free via FTA/OTA! Sheesh, a little knowledge goes a long way.

Anyway, this is my quest -- albeit newbie style: to further the FTA cause.

I will post more as I gain knowlegde. Unfortunately, I don't take the smiple route -- I'll need correction. :hungry:

Unfortunately, I don't take the smiple route -- I'll need correction. :hungry:
Welcome aboard ! - :up
You can get any sort of help ya need, with your C-band and Ku-band dishes, receivers, et al.

And I'll reserve a set of whips 'n chains with your name on 'em, for when we need to correct you! - :eek:

Thanks for the feedback/help. I'm drumming up ppl I work with to do likewise. Expect some crazy ideas (mine/theirs) on this thread. LOL. Caveat emptor.

Welcome!

I hope you have space for a lot of dishes at your new place, after you get your 1st one running you will begin to want more. It's pretty cool to be able to see the morning news before anyone else in your area. Even the commercials from stations far away can be amusing and highlight just how big our country is.

I'm currently trying to waddle through lyngsat picking out channels. I can see the need for more dishes: though. :)

I just wish I could find a good help page there; some of the terms are a bit cryptic.

I'm currently trying to waddle through lyngsat picking out channels. I can see the need for more dishes: though. :)

I just wish I could find a good help page there; some of the terms are a bit cryptic.

You can find some general information on FTAList.com. Also the channel information is sorted by language as well as satellite.

what's on ?

For the rank beginner, I also recommend the Ku list on FTAlist.com. It's sorted by program language, too.

Then, when you are ready to graduate to the hard stuff, our own TheList has more technical info for Ku and C band.

The Global-CM site has several more Ku and C band info lists.

Lyngsat , both Atlantic and America, are the last places I tend to look.

Pics

Okay. I finally got some pictures of the big ole dish. However, I'm not sure what I am looking at. I couldn't find the receiver that came with the dish, so I used an old dish network receiver to see if I could get anything. Well, I got nothing. Nada.

Is there a way to test this thing out w/o a receiver? A signal strength meter; maybe?

I'm currently looking at HD receivers and possibly a T90 dish to get going now and then figure out what to do about the bud latter. I'm still trying to figure out which channels I want, but it seems like there are 1000 satellites out there and each one has at least one good channel on it that I want.:D

Also, the HD receivers that I've looked at don't have connections for the motorized arm on the dish. Will I need to purchase something else to drive the dish?

TIA

Attachments

• BUD01.jpg
    BUD01.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 202
  • BUD02.jpg
    BUD02.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 190
  • BUD03.jpg
    BUD03.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 217
  • BUD04.jpg
    BUD04.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 186
Okay. I finally got some pictures of the big ole dish. However, I'm not sure what I am looking at.
looks like a C-Band only dish

I couldn't find the receiver that came with the dish, so I used an old dish network receiver to see if I could get anything. Well, I got nothing. Nada.
Dish Network receivers use different type of LNB's so it wouldnt work on that dish

Is there a way to test this thing out w/o a receiver? A signal strength meter; maybe?
unless you have a signal meter (or a spectrum analyzer) you would need a FTA receiver to see if the LNB works

Also, the HD receivers that I've looked at don't have connections for the motorized arm on the dish. Will I need to purchase something else to drive the dish?

TIA

Almost all the receivers out there that do FTA wont move a big dish. You would need something like a V-Box to move the dish. Or if you can get your hands on an analog receiver that would move it too (the V-Box might be easier)

that is the polorotor. The older LNB's had 3 wired to control polarity. There is only one notch in there for polarity and when you switch polarities (from V to H) the receiver moves the notch 90 degrees

The newer LNB's dont need those and the receiver changes the polarity

The Geo Orbit site has pictures of all the pieces, with descriptions.
It might help you identify what you've got, there.

I'm no expert on mesh BUDs, but is that a Weingard Pinnacle?
Don't see anything in your pictures that'd discourage me from harvesting it if it were near me! - :up

The Geo Orbit site has pictures of all the pieces, with descriptions.
It might help you identify what you've got, there.

I'm no expert on mesh BUDs, but is that a Weingard Pinnacle?
Don't see anything in your pictures that'd discourage me from harvesting it if it were near me! - :up
The nameplate says SAMS; and no, you can't have it.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts