Getting started with FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

homie189

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
I have been a been a Dish Network installer for 10 years and have worked with various other .75 meter to 1 meter dishes for commercial use, and have always wanted to "tinker" with FTA and see what is out there. I was hoping to get some pointers on equipment to get and satellites to peak to ( I watch a bit of everything). I am not sure if this is even the right place to ask, but thought I would give it a shot. Thanks in advance!

Fta 101

At the top of each page are adverts from out supporters.
The three who sell FTA equipment retail, are: SatelliteAV, Sadoun, and GoSatellite.
... and obviously what I just typed gets hot-linked by the forum, as well.

Each of 'em have packages with a decent FTA receiver, LNB, and dish.
Some include installation supplies, too.
If you were interested in a motor, that's an option or you can add it later.

For the dish, I'd suggest a 36" over any smaller dishes offered.
Extra cost for the dish is minimal, and the shipping is about the same.
Bigger dishes cost considerably more to ship!

I obviously like the two receivers in my signature, and the Pansat 3500 seems pretty good, too.
There are reviews here you can read, or search on other models you want to know about, as many users have discussed numerous brands.

For satellites and programming we have TheList with info on satellites, channels, aiming calculator, and more.
Start off with Galaxy 10 @ 123ºWest, and go from there.

If you have more questions, the great guys here are always friendly and helpful.

One last question... I have access to old used but great condition .84 meter and 1 meter dishes with new .8 KU LNB. Will that work with a new FTA receiver?

yes they will work fine. As long as the dish is 30" or greater and the LNB is KU it will work fine :)

One last question... I have access to old used but great condition .84 meter and 1 meter dishes with new .8 KU LNB. Will that work with a new FTA receiver?

Yes they will work... if they are Primestars they will work very well.

They are old Muzak dishes that were peaked at G-3, Telestar 4, and AMC -1.

They are old Muzak dishes that were peaked at G-3, Telestar 4, and AMC -1.

May be a Prodelin, the 1 meter will give you more gain. If your going to use it for G-10 use the 1 meter there and point the 85cm at some other bird. Use a DISEqC switch to change between the two.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts