Status
Please reply by conversation.

stvcmty

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 29, 2013
Baldwin MD
I want to get started with FTA. My uncle gave me a Fortec Star FSIR-5400NA. I would like to get PBJ from AMC 9 and LPB 3 (Create) from AMC 3. I am located in Baldwin MD. I have several questions:

1. How is the Fortec Star FSIR-5400NA as a start for getting FTA?
  2. What is a good dish? I have been watching craigslist for FTA dishes near me, but all that comes up are dish or direct tv dishes. Shipping on dishes is expensive. Options I have seen
    1. a patriot 85e (30x36 elliptical) from global-cm.net
      1. the product page shows a mount for multiple LNBs
    2. GEOSATpro 90cm / 36" Offset Satellite Dish from satelliteav.com
      1. Satelliteav.com has a 4 degree 2 LNB bracket for their dish, would that let me get AMC9 and AMC3?
    3. It looks like a dish shipped to me is going to be $115 to $160, which is fine.
  3. What is a good LNB? In the future, I would like to use multiple receivers, so a dual output LNB would be best so I can use a multiswitch.
    1. Satelliteav.com has LNB’s that go in their 4 degree bracket for their dish.
  4. I use windows media center for my OTA TV, so it would be nice if could integrate FTA with WMC in the future. Does that impact how I layout LNB switching?

1. It is a start but out dated and not recommend. I would go with something like the microHD.
2. Go with the GeoSatPro.
You can get a new dish and LNBF and microHD for 199 from SatAV.
3. If you go with Geosatpro dual bullet get it will work with the 4 deg bracket and is a very good LNBF.
4. No.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!

3. Learn what a universal LNB is compared to a standard LNB. Since you are in MD, you may want to try pointing your dish easterly to see what's over the Atlantic. To do this, you will need a universal LNB. As far as I can see, you lose nothing by getting a universal LNB (if using a good receiver like the microHD), but you gain the possibility of gaining a few more exotic channels.

In the past many universal lnb's had a higher noise floor, I havent a clue about newer ones. Im in Western Canada and there is zero need for a Universal lnb here, and because they rely on a 22khz tone for the 10600 LO it prevents you from using 22khz switch's.

36" is fine, but if you can afford the space then get a 39", it does make a difference. Not all dish's are created equally, there are alot of cheap dish's out there that build quality is in relation to their price. Ive got a wineguard, excellent dish.

A motor will greatly increase the available programming, but can be purchased later.

I use PC tuners exclusively (I dont recommend them for starting out though) so I cant comment on set top box's other then the microHD seems really popular, got to be a reason why people like them so much. Infer what you may out of that.

UDL

3. Learn what a universal LNB is compared to a standard LNB. Since you are in MD, you may want to try pointing your dish easterly to see what's over the Atlantic. To do this, you will need a universal LNB. As far as I can see, you lose nothing by getting a universal LNB (if using a good receiver like the microHD), but you gain the possibility of gaining a few more exotic channels.

The yards two neighbors from me to the east have tall trees. I used dishpointer.com’s obstacle line of sight checker, and it looks like with the height of the trees, I would be lucky to get 15W or 16W.
At some point I hope to get a motorized dish with a universal LNB and a good receiver to see what I can find, but first I want to get something with a fixed dish. If I can get PBJ I will be very excited about FTA.

Well just to get your feet wet that receiver you have will work for pbj, but you will soon want something that can get dvb-s2

Sent from my DROID RAZR via Satelliteguys Reader

I want to get started with FTA. My uncle gave me a Fortec Star FSIR-5400NA.
[/LIST]
you seem well informed for a newbie. good for you.
still have my Fortec Star FSIR-5400NA used it for a few years was a sad day putting it away.
great box
does this uncle have any other stuff ?
get a 1 meter dish if at all possible got a hand full of 90's and wish would have paid more for the 1 meters now. duh
good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)