Getting started????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

John G

Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
Hi--
I was referred here by a friend. I have an eliptical dish from Star Choice, and wonder what else I need to get started with FTA, or even if the dish is usable. We got the dish and receiver for travel in an RV in Mexico. Got excellent reception all the way down past 20 degrees. Are there receivers compatible with the dish/receiver to get programming on FTA?? What do I need, and how complicated is it?? Thanks for any basic information.
Regards,
John G

Hi John,

How big is your StarChoice dish? You need a minimum of 30" to pick up most of the Ku-band FTA stuff that you can find here:

SatelliteGuys.US - TheList

You will need a DVB receiver to pick that stuff up also, you will find links to our site sponsors at the top of each page, they have a good selection of SD & HD receivers.

I'm not sure if you are also saying you have a StarChoice receiver, but if so, and StarChoice is a subscription service, the receiver is probably worthless for FTA.

There's a ton of good basic info in the "sticky" threads in the FTA forums, you might start with reading them and the FAQ's, they will help you out with the terminology (there's LOTS of acronyms :D ). Read and learn, then ask more specific questions, there's a lot of brainpower here that can help you along.

Do you now what size the dish is? I have been using a 60E dish for several sats at a time (But I'm Still In Canada). The lnb's are set for 3.8 degrees but they will work for sat's 4 degrees apart. You will need a DVB reciever to pick up any other sat's. They use the same lnb's as most Ku sats (execept DTV, EVU or Dish). Mine is currently used only for G18@123. I have also used it for G25@97 and also at 93degrees.
The 60 E is minimum for most FTA sats, if your dish is the 75E you will get better Quality (therefore less pixalation ).
If it one of the old dishes that only get 1 sat(closer to round than oval shaped) it will get most KU band sat's, depending were it is pointed. Check out LyngSat - Lyngemark Satellite for DVB dignals over your area.

The dish is a 75E, so guess it is big enough for FTA. It was always easy to set up including skew. Since we moved every month or so I had lots of practice. The dual LNBs are for Ku band, and I'm guessing I could find an FTA receiver that would work with some of the satellites. How is the shift to digital affecting FTA?
Thanks again, I'm learning, and it's not that hard to figure out.
Regards,
John G

the "shift" has no effect on FTA....just OTA TV

I have a 75e and it works really well for 2 satellites 4 degrees apart. I use to have it on 97/101 as a homemade Glorystar system (Glorystar is mainly a religious broadcaster with numerous channels) but now its back to its intended use, StarChoice :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts