Getting the Hopper Tuesday!

Keystone7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
North Indiana
Hello everybody. :)
July 8th I will have new equipment installed at my home. I now use Vip211k (2). I own one of the Vip211k's. I decided to do the upgrade to the new Hopper. My question would be, They are going to install a (Hopper with Sling) and (Super Joey). The way they told me was, I will be able to use two TV's. Not sure what this (Super Joey) will do, but I may want to add a third receiver. Will that mean that I will have to get another (Joey)?
I was happy that they waived the truck roll fee and no cost to a (present) customer for my upgrade.
Thanks for any advice that you may have!

(Oh, what do you think they are going to charge me for the new equipment?)

Just got off the phone with Dish and was advised the cost of equipment will be monthly:
Hopper with Sling - $12.00
Super Joey - $10.00
Does this sound about right for the upgrade? (I will give back the leased Vip211k and take out of service my Vip211k.)

Yes you will need a Joey for independent viewing of TV 3.
There are ways to mirror from one of the other receivers. For example I mirrored a Hopper with Sling to my third TV by using a 25 ft HDMI cable and using component cables to the primary TV. There are many other ways.

Be prepared for a nearly full rewire from Dish to a central point. The Super Joey requires a line of its own from the dish as the hopper itself needs two. I really wish Dish could come up with another way or integrate the node into the LNB but that will likely never ever happen, they would rather make your home look like a mess of wires and waste a tech's time. If the tech is smart they will just keep the node and integrator as close to the dish as possible to avoid really long cable runs. I've put them under eves before or even tie strapped them to the dish itself lol whatever works or its a mess and a pain.

Be prepared for a nearly full rewire from Dish to a central point. The Super Joey requires a line of its own from the dish as the hopper itself needs two. I really wish Dish could come up with another way or integrate the node into the LNB but that will likely never ever happen, they would rather make your home look like a mess of wires and waste a tech's time. If the tech is smart they will just keep the node and integrator as close to the dish as possible to avoid really long cable runs. I've put them under eves before or even tie strapped them to the dish itself lol whatever works or its a mess and a pain.

I believe there is actually something in the works that will no longer require an integrator for the Super Joey. Just be patient. ;)

Have you heard anything coming down the road for a fix that will provide a more than one Hopper and Super Joey?

Not really but I know they can offer it if they want to. All they have to do is just make a rule change and allow it to be processed in the order system.

Not really but I know they can offer it if they want to. All they have to do is just make a rule change and allow it to be processed in the order system.
If just a rule change DISH is missing out on bunches of customers that want two or more Hoppers and a Super Joey. I think maybe it is a software or hardware issue is why DISH is not allowing it. What do you think?

I don't understand why you cannot add on a purchased super Joey to a 2 hopper account. But I do understand no leased super joeys on a 2 hopper account. Dish has always said 6 tuner limit for leased recievers. My guess, is their irrational way of preventing account stacking.

I don't understand why you cannot add on a purchased super Joey to a 2 hopper account. But I do understand no leased super joeys on a 2 hopper account. Dish has always said 6 tuner limit for leased recievers. My guess, is their irrational way of preventing account stacking.

They say it's a limitation of the Moca. Not enough channels to support all the activity.

Reactions: dare2be
Generally when Dish puts rules like this in place it's in order to keep things somewhat simple so it's easier for them to do the sales and service of that equipment. I don't think it's smart to push the system to it's limits right away and if it fails they have to take care of the service for it.

I still think they may allow it eventually but they want to make sure it's going to work to their satisfaction first. There are enough people complaining already that Dish puts products out before they are ready.