GetTV another OTA movie channel comming

R0ss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
Looks like Sony is now getting into the OTA movie channel business. They have created GetTV, looks like it will be Initially carried in 25 markets on Univision owned stations sub channel. It's already broadcasting a preview in Boston on 66.3. This info all came from Wikipedia so if its not 100% not my fault.

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

we wont see it in Minneapolis anytime soon...the Univision station is still ANALOG

WUMN-LP 13 at a whopping 1300 watts

i read somewhere it is going to be like turner classic movies showing movies from the 30's through the 60's

Why can't a network get anything newer? The Movies! channel concentrates on old to very old stuff and now this. Hey I know that there are a lot of high quality classics being shown, but come on, we've seen these movies plenty of times in the last few decades. How about showing something from this century for a change? My local The CW station shows movies on the weekends from the mid-2000's, so I know that they're available.

Why can't a network get anything newer? The Movies! channel concentrates on old to very old stuff and now this. Hey I know that there are a lot of high quality classics being shown, but come on, we've seen these movies plenty of times in the last few decades. How about showing something from this century for a change? My local The CW station shows movies on the weekends from the mid-2000's, so I know that they're available.
Problem is they are available with a Price $$$$ Old Movie Classics come with a much lower cost that allows these FREE stations to get on the air. RFD TV is one of the best examples I can think of they started off on DISH as a PI channel and catered to a niche market of rural customers. By serving that market they became a pay service but not a packaged service and them progressed to an add on packaged service.

They hopefully will find a niche market in classic movies that will allow them to stay on the air satisfying some peoples needs. Do you like ME TV? They are very popular by showing CLASSIC TV SHOWS, how many times have you watched M.A.S.H. or "I Dream of Jeannie" or "Dragnet" "Big Valley" ETC. That station is watched for nostalgia and "GOOD OLD MORAL STANDARDS".

Last edited:
My local The CW station shows movies on the weekends from the mid-2000's, so I know that they're available.

those are syndicated movies that any channel can pick up and broadcast. I see those on my local CW also and the local Independent station

Come on...this is OTA it is free. If you want more recent movies you either need to stream or go back to pay TV and pay for movie channels.

Sent via Tapatalk

those are syndicated movies that any channel can pick up and broadcast. I see those on my local CW also and the local Independent station

Come on...this is OTA it is free. If you want more recent movies you either need to stream or go back to pay TV and pay for movie channels.

Sent via Tapatalk

What you both say is fine and dandy. But what I was really trying to convey, is that there already is a large amount of sub-channel networks out there that specialize in older programming. In my area alone, there's six channels. There really isn't a need for another player in this crowded niche.

What you both say is fine and dandy. But what I was really trying to convey, is that there already is a large amount of sub-channel networks out there that specialize in older programming. In my area alone, there's six channels. There really isn't a need for another player in this crowded niche.

Your point is well taken...that said if folks watch it will stay if they don't....

Sent via Tapatalk

We need access to both newer and older movies. As a classic movie buff I love having classic movie channels. But you should also have a network that caters to your tastes.

It all comes down to costs. That older programming is cheaper. And it's very popular with older viewers. That's why you see so many commercials for Medicare supplement insurance, medical supplies and denture products and the like on those channels.

My mother gets Directv but she also gets MeTV OTA and with all of those channels she gets on Directv she spends most of her time watching MeTV.

we wont see it in Minneapolis anytime soon...the Univision station is still ANALOG

WUMN-LP 13 at a whopping 1300 watts

Well its going to happen a lot sooner in Minny than Burlington

you're right.....looks like we will.....soon
from northpine.com

The last analog TV station in the Twin Cities is one step closer to entering the digital world. The FCC has granted Univision affiliate WUMN-LP/13 a construction permit for a 15kW digital facility on channel 17.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)