Ghosting on TV2

berwyned

Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
I just went though a major upgrade of my video system. I now have a 722K box. My issue is with the hook up to TV2. I get ghosting that is especially noticeable on the channel guide with all the text and vertical and horizontal lines. The ghosting is worse and most prevalent (intolerable) when the 722K is set to single mode (i.e. both TVs are on the same tuner). It seems to clear up a little when in dual tuner mode. Is this some thing I just have to live with?

I have been all over my wiring and even bypassed all the wiring in the walls with a direct connection from the 722K home distribution port direct to TV2. Still have the same problem. Also, I am coming into TV2 through the cable in port on channel 73.

berwyned said:
I just went though a major upgrade of my video system. I now have a 722K box. My issue is with the hook up to TV2. I get ghosting that is especially noticeable on the channel guide with all the text and vertical and horizontal lines. The ghosting is worse and most prevalent (intolerable) when the 722K is set to single mode (i.e. both TVs are on the same tuner). It seems to clear up a little when in dual tuner mode. Is this some thing I just have to live with?

I have been all over my wiring and even bypassed all the wiring in the walls with a direct connection from the 722K home distribution port direct to TV2. Still have the same problem. Also, I am coming into TV2 through the cable in port on channel 73.

Change tv2 modulation to cable. Try 73. Then run tv2 channel scan in cable mode.

Sent from my fingers.

UTMTech said:
Change tv2 modulation to cable. Try 73. Then run tv2 channel scan in cable mode.

Sent from my fingers.

Also... Make sure there isn't anything plugged into the receiver's tv2 RCA jacks As this can cause heavy interference.

Sent from my fingers.

Also... Make sure there isn't anything plugged into the receiver's tv2 RCA jacks As this can cause heavy interference.

Sent from my fingers.

I have a vcr hooked up to the rca outs for TV2 and have no problem. The OP should try to go to dual mode and see if that makes a difference

dwarren2 said:
I have a vcr hooked up to the rca outs for TV2 and have no problem. The OP should try to go to dual mode and see if that makes a difference

If they are not hooked up correctly then all they will do is pump interference into the tv2 feed.

Tech here: thanks.

Sent from my fingers.

As mentioned in first post the ghosting is not as bad in Dual mode but is still visible. I also made sure that the TV2 is set to cable and rescanned the channels. With that not working I went through almost all of the channels 73 to 125 and found that 118 was probably the best, better that the original channel TV2 was set to but still has ghosting which is most prominent on the channel guide page.

berwyned said:
As mentioned in first post the ghosting is not as bad in Dual mode but is still visible. I also made sure that the TV2 is set to cable and rescanned the channels. With that not working I went through almost all of the channels 73 to 125 and found that 118 was probably the best, better that the original channel TV2 was set to but still has ghosting which is most prominent on the channel guide page.

Are you sure it isn't burn in? Check another device to make sure. Also try taking the tv2 rca jacks and connecting them to tv1: if the picture is bad it is the receiver if the picture is fine: attach the tv2 coax jack to tv1 using a short lengthof coax if the picture is bad it's the coax jack on the receiver if the picture is fine you know it is an issue with either the coax to tv2 or tv2 itself. If you do not wish to have a tech come out and the problem is the coax jack is bad you could use an rf modulator to turn the RCA jacks labeled for tv2 into a channel 3 coax output. This would circumvent the coax from the damaged receiver. If trying to determine whether the coax is bad or tv2 is bad swap the tv or try a long coaxjumper.

Sent from my fingers.

Last edited:
Try MENU - 6 - 1 - 5 - CONNECTION - set to HOME DISTRIBUTION mode if on DIRECT TO TV mode, otherwise, select DIRECT TO TV mode, see if there is any difference on TV2.

Thanks for the suggestion. In my case Direct is too weak and Home Dist is too strong. I plan to just live with it until I can get a Hopper/Joey.

Ahh...You may be a victim of cable tv "leakage"....What may be happening is the cable tv signal in the easement near your property is broadcasting strongly enough so that those channels are bombarding your home.
If memory serves, channel 116 is one that I used in these instances. Try that..
OR..find a channel down between 21 and 69 that is as far from an over the air channel as possible..
For example.....Here in this market, chs 3,9,18, 36, 42, 46, 55 and 64 are used....The greatest gap is in between 18 and 36....the middle being 24...I had found that using ch24 as my tv 2 modulator setting was the most trouble free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)