GI DSR-920 & HDD-200 for fta only

Status
Please reply by conversation.

transco

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I have an old DSR-920 with what appears to be a dead VC-II module. I also have an unused HDD-200. I am only interested in FTA and have no plans to subscribe to any channel. Unfortunately, without a subscription the clock can't be set and the channel map won't be updated (receiver hasn't been in service to 10 years or so). Is there any sort of 'fixed key' VC-II channels that would make it worth while to replace the VC-II module? Any fixed key DC-II channels?

My other option is a Toshiba TRX-100 which makes a better dish controller, but lacks DC-II and the VC-II module. My original idea was to use a GBOX and Pansat 3500 for dish control and DVB-S receiver. I checked my usual sources and there aren't any GBOX's available, so I'm back to looking at my other receivers for at least dish control. Any suggestions?

If you are only interested is FTA, an HD DVB-S2 receiver, GBox / VBox positioner and a voltage controlled Ku / C Band LNBF is a way to go. There will be no need for the 920 & HDD200, you could sell to someone who could use them, and use the money to pay for the new equipment.

if you want the maps, go to G1 (G15 at 133W) and select channel 100...let it download the maps

actually any premium movie channel group (I use the Starz mux on G5) will download the maps

If you are only interested is FTA, an HD DVB-S2 receiver, GBox / VBox positioner and a voltage controlled Ku / C Band LNBF is a way to go. There will be no need for the 920 & HDD200, you could sell to someone who could use them, and use the money to pay for the new equipment.
I see you are using the Vbox V. It's the first time I've seen that. I would assume it is two generations after the Vbox III (Gbox), but I see it is a lot cheaper. What's the difference (besides price)?

I see you are using the Vbox V. It's the first time I've seen that. I would assume it is two generations after the Vbox III (Gbox), but I see it is a lot cheaper. What's the difference (besides price)?

Function is the same. From what I have read here, the GBox seems to be the better unit. When Sadoun gets them in later this month, I moght buy one to compare. I have had no real issues with the VBox, just that the GBox seems to get a much better review.

If the 920 has been out of service for 10 years, it's highly likely the internal battery is dead. In that case the receiver ID# is lost and the receiver will not be able to be subscribed on a DCII 4DTV service.

If the 920 has been out of service for 10 years, it's highly likely the internal battery is dead. In that case the receiver ID# is lost and the receiver will not be able to be subscribed on a DCII 4DTV service.
So basically it ends up being an analog receiver like the TRX-100?

I'd toss the VCII board as if the battery died it is useless, hook the 920 up see if the unit ID is good, if so do a master reset load the maps, a 922 will keep digital authorization though I think a 920 can lose it, if so then you can see if NPS or SRL will authorize the board and the free IPG, if not grabbing the smallest low cost sub for one month would do you good.

Keep in mind there are some free DCII channels, but if you have a tiny digital sub to any service you will get a few more free channels.

If the unit ID is still good, get the battery changed asap.

I'd toss the VCII board as if the battery died it is useless, hook the 920 up see if the unit ID is good, if so do a master reset load the maps, a 922 will keep digital authorization though I think a 920 can lose it, if so then you can see if NPS or SRL will authorize the board and the free IPG, if not grabbing the smallest low cost sub for one month would do you good.

Keep in mind there are some free DCII channels, but if you have a tiny digital sub to any service you will get a few more free channels.

If the unit ID is still good, get the battery changed asap.
NPS told me that I have to subscribe to a minimum of 5 channels for authorization. They have also recently increased the rates for most of their channels and dropped several. Just not worth it for what little I would gain.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)