GI/Motorola MMAP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tester239

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 27, 2008
I have a General Instrument DSR-4200V and it has a "high speed serial" interface on the back. After some searching, it appears to be called a "Multimedia Access Port" on different models, and is some serial interface for sending data to an HD decoder box such as the HDD-200.

Now, the HDD-200 seems to be in decent demand driving prices up from the standard DigiCipher II box $5 bargain basement prices.. which brings me to my question: What...is the MMAP? Is it a dupilcate of the SDI/ASI interface where it just spews out raw MPEG-TS data? Or is it some proprietary GI/Motorola interface? If it were something standardized that would be cool because then I can just use a PCI SDI card for my DCII viewing :)

Thanks for any help!

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
The data would first have to be serialized by some external device. SD SDI is uncompressed, 270 megabit digital video, so it would be of no use except for monitoring or recording to D1, D5, or a HDD array. HD SDI is at nearly 1.5 gigabits. There would be no reason to decompress the video and then recompress it at the receiving end, so I doubt that the output from those receivers is uncompressed. ASI, on the other hand, is a transport stream interface, which preserves the services in compressed form. The data from that interface is probably compressed, which would point to possible compatibility with ASI.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

CSPAN channels going digital

Some real newbie questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)