This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

glaxy 25 impossible to pick up on birdog

Status
Please reply by conversation.

s0z3

Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
hey i got a 31" fortec dish and a universal lnb. i also have a birdog 3.0 but when i try to pick up galaxy 25, is impossible to do. i try for 2hr last night and still no luck, i tried on the floor and it indicate found but no even 5% on quality. why??? when i mount the dish on the roof i cant pick up the sat. .. i live in wilmington DE. Thank You.

You really should try to aim at a stronger satellite if you have never aligned a FTA dish before, Galaxy 25 is hard to hit.

Have you played around with the azimuth and elevation? On the Fortec dishes the elevation might be off by a bit, so try changing it.

With the birdog have you set the LNB to universal, it might be on standard LNB. (I don't know if the birdog has a setting but I am guessing that it does.)

G25 does have some strog transponders (see the thread of "I need a strong transponder to aim my dish")

I have a feeling since it was a UNiversal the birdog got confused and was set up for standard

yes, its my first time aligning a fta satellite. i'm need to use the birdog cuz the satellite dish is on the roof and im installing it by myself.

From the Birdog manual:

It looks like there is a solution:

You have to download the Universal files from : Horizon Satellite Meters

That is a common problem when using a BIRDOG with a UNIVERSAL lnbf. Make sure you update the BIRDOG with the UNIVERSAL settings for that particular satellite.

Once you have the correct datafile in your BIRDOG it shouldn't take you more than 2 minutes to find G25 (97W)

ok the problem is the elavation on my dish as stated on the website is 40 degree, but the actual elvation in my area is 30 degree. one thing i notice when i'm using the birdog is, the meter said found but it is always 0%. ( i set it to universal glaxy 25 and is the latest file) when i hook up the meter, it got 66% quality. i also do a blind scan, but i cant pick up the chinese chanels on

11836 V
tp 5

any help would be appreciate.

The default setting for the Birdog is set for the reception of stronger DBS signals and not for the weaker FSS signals like you are trying to locate. I have includes a snip from the Horizon Website on setting up the Birdog for FSS function.

"the Set-up Menu will need to accessed and the BER (last option in set-up) be placed on “BER Log” (rather than BER Linear).

The Logarithmic scale will read the weaker signals and once a “Found” is indicated, will read a higher percentage on the Q-reading. While the “BER Linear” may indicate a “Found”, depending on other factors like your location, etc., it may not give a satisfactory percentage for fine-tuning the antenna."

Well that certainly explains the results I've seen using my birdog. I just hauled it out and changed that setting. Soon as Hurricane Noel blows by I'll be outside tweaking my T90 some more.

Hi Brian and others, It seems like I may be having a similar problem only with the VS Pro setting. I am trying to get channels from IA5 my dish and lnb are set and have good signal and quality (confirmed w/ my Samsung receiver), but the VS Pro won't pull in the channels, eventhough I had to manually enter all the known TPs. Would you have any idea what I can try next? Thanks.

Last edited:
There's another VS pro owner who's been posting about problems=seems like the firmware for that model is still buggy and won't blind-scan correctly.
EDIT> never mind, you ARE the other guy with the vs pro lol.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.