Global Warming ... Part 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'd like to see 20 on the thermometer someday

hell I'd settle for 15 :)

Been around 20-25 here for days.....3-5 inches of the white death today...first significant snow fall this year....bone chillin weekend again...All I can say is keep the snow off them dishes, forget the driveway. Blind

At 3pm on Wednesday (1/6/10) we actually warmed up and hit +17 degrees! It was like a day in May! Today, we are back to the cold, +2 at 1pm.

We received another 3 inches of snow here, but the wind has come up and is running 25-30 mph. Even though the snow stopped yesterday, we still have a blizzard going on because the wind is blowing all the snow everywhere.

At the last storm I had to use a payloader to clean my driveway and it still took more than an hour.

I can't wait til spring when we will get all the fun ice jams on the river and flooding! It's going to be bad when this all melts.

RADAR

Cold is relative....

I know if you aren't accustomed to snow it can be inconvenient, the "cold" WX can be hard on folks too. We have had a mild winter by Alaskan standards. It's only hit 40 below once so far in town, but out in the bush last week it was -55 to -60 around Ft. Yukon and some other areas. -42 in Barrow a couple days ago. One of the guys I work with travelled to Kobuk for an emergency, the pilot told him it was -55 when they landed. Yes we still travel in that, but that is near the limit for turbine aircraft. At least we are not getting as much snow as last winter!

Attachments

• S8008897.JPG
    S8008897.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 196
Last year when I started this post I was surprised at the amount of snow we got for December. This year I'm truly amazed. So far this month we've already gotten a total of about a foot and a half of global warming (mostly gone now), and a new forecast for 8-12 inches of snow for Christmas eve and Christmas day. Last year we only got the one snow in December, and it melted fairly quickly. This year we've had snow on the ground for the last three weeks with about 10 days of single digit temps.

It may be warming up in other places, but not here!

That guy in Fairbanks really put it into perspective, lol. We really have nothing to complain about, compared to that kind of weather.

With all due respect, the globe is warming, human activity is largely responsible, and this is a matter of settled science which is not controversial.

Scientific opinion on climate change - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.grist.org/article/series/skeptics/

From the latter,
Specifically, the "consensus" about anthropogenic climate change entails the following:

• the climate is undergoing a pronounced warming trend beyond the range of natural variability;
  • the major cause of most of the observed warming is rising levels of the greenhouse gas CO2;
  • the rise in CO2 is the result of burning fossil fuels;
  • if CO2 continues to rise over the next century, the warming will continue; and
  • a climate change of the projected magnitude over this time frame represents potential danger to human welfare and the environment.
While theories and viewpoints in conflict with the above do exist, their proponents constitute a very small minority. If we require unanimity before being confident, well, we can't be sure the earth isn't hollow either.

Not one scientific body of any stature disputes the fact that humans are warming the climate. The most radical position is non-committal. NO BODY is actively disputing this, though of course there are always a few contrarian scientists. How can this be if there is so much doubt about global warming?

What you're hearing is an organized disinformation campaign of FUD run by oil industry interests and a few rabidly anti-regulation organizations politicizing the science.

Try asking actual scientists, and reading peer-reviewed material, and you will see there is nothing to global warming denial. It is baseless junk science.

Let's stick to satellites rather than political disinformation. :)
-- ross

Last edited:
Our weather has been all over the place. For the most part, the last few months have been about 5 degrees above normal and dry. The last two weeks we have been going from high 50s for a couple of days to high 30's. Starting tomorrow we are supposed to be below freezing for the next week and maybe a dusting of snow in the Tulsa area. The extended forecast for the week after goes back to the roller-coaster ride of a couple days in the 50's and back to a couple days in the 30's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts