Globecast?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottjones

Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Boston, MA
Is there a big demand for the Globecast FTA?
Is this a bus I should provide installation, and sales for?
I live in the Boston area and Im not really sure about it.

Is the only LNBF that will work for Globecast the NJR2162F?

I have a 90cm dish with a quad LNB that wont work for Galaxy 25, trying to receive ARTN Free to air.

Thanks!

depends on location. Larger cities there might be due to folks looking for programming form their "home country" or native tongue.
any LNB will work for the dishes but you need to use their box

I have a 90cm dish with a quad LNB that wont work for Galaxy 25, trying to receive ARTN Free to air.

Thanks!
the Invacom quad? What other pieces of equipment do you have with it? receiver type?

I am in the Boston area...Maybe it would be a good area for sales and installs? not to sure.

Yes I have the Invacom Quad and a Wineguard 76 dish with a Fortec Mercury II receiver. It would never get the ARTN on IA5 ( Galaxy 25).
Should the dish be mounted horz and not verticle? Not really sure If I have the right gear.

I just ordered the LNBF NJR2162F thinking it would help. Just a guess.

Last edited:
Scott, I'm getting that channel just fine from Michigan on an 80cm dish. My signal QUALITY on the Merc II is 62-68% . The linear lnbf on the Invacom is just about the most sensitive made, so the lnbf is not the problem. The signal strength map at Galaxy 25 at 97.0°W - LyngSat Maps shows the Boston area to have a weaker signal than Michigan, BUT if you can get other channels on the same transponder, you should be able to get ARTN . You might try manual channel entry using
vpid 773
apid 774
pcr pid 773

Easy to do with the Merc II.
:)

I'm confused by the point of selling Globecast...
Globecast TV is a pay (plus some free) service .

Here is their channel list, showing which channels are which.
So, while an installer could make good money servicing ethnic communities, you may be at a disadvantage if you aren't a member of that community.
Where I live, they are mostly Chinese, Vietnamese, and maybe Korean.
The Spanish speaking community is well served by OTA programming, and they will never hear of FTA. - :cool:
Oh, the Russian / Armenian community might be a possibility - only one OTA channel for that.

Also, as best I understand, you would have to use a Globecast receiver to get the pay services, as only it will work with their subscription card.
As far as I know , it's Nagravision-based, and those cards are married to the receiver by Globecast.

The Globecast channels are frequently in the clear, though, even though the Merc II marks them as "subscription". You never know until you try to watch , whether it's clear or not. I put up a dish for one family that only wanted Duna TV . The guys wife was homesick . There is a subscription available for just Duna TV, believe it or not. It's a strange world sometimes.
:)

Globecast (now called WorldTV) offers both FTA and Pay channels. They own the transponders that provide most of the FTA channels on G25. Their WorldTV receiver will allow you to receive the FTA channels and also allows you to subscribe to the Pay channels.

It is a basic receiver with little features as compared to the Mercury II receiver that you have.

In the Boston area, you will need a 90cm dish as a minimum for the WorldTV or any other receiver. Also, use a STANDARD linear LNBF with a WorldTV receiver. It is better for the customer if they need tech support from WorldTV.

Business should be good in the BOSTON area for G25 FTA only or FTA/Pay WorldTV service. You will have to advertise to the multi-ethnic communities there. Go to their festivals and functions. Check their newsletters and media outlets.

If you decide to do that let us know.

We may refer some business your way.

Good luck.

The World TV receivers are garbage. I have installed about 10 to 15 of them for customers and have had to go back to the house for about 7 of them just to find that the box went dead. Some of these customers I have had to go back 2 or 3 times to reinstall a new box. The only good thing is that World TV will replace the faulty box if its been under a year. If its been over a year then forget about trying to send it back or get a replacement. The boxes are totally faulty and have issues lasting more than 6 months without having a power failure. They just simply go dead with no warning. When they die the receiver will not turn on and there are no indication lights that show that the receiver is receiving power.

I would not recommend the World TV box unless you have to have it for some of their subscription based services.

Stick with the Merc II

The World TV receivers are garbage. I have installed about 10 to 15 of them for customers and have had to go back to the house for about 7 of them just to find that the box went dead. Some of these customers I have had to go back 2 or 3 times to reinstall a new box. The only good thing is that World TV will replace the faulty box if its been under a year. If its been over a year then forget about trying to send it back or get a replacement. The boxes are totally faulty and have issues lasting more than 6 months without having a power failure. They just simply go dead with no warning. When they die the receiver will not turn on and there are no indication lights that show that the receiver is receiving power.

I would not recommend the World TV box unless you have to have it for some of their subscription based services.

Stick with the Merc II
I'm a living testimony! :eek:

I've seen one of those Globecast boxes and the bottom looked like it was on a hot plate..the whole bottom looked charred

My receiver does not turn back on after powering it off completely "by pressing the on/off button" the receiver was off for about a week and does not come back on. I hear you that they are garbage but please tell me what alternatives do I have?
My receiver was purchassed in Nov 2006 and worked well until now. Please advise. Thank you
Marcel

Stick with the Merc II

Its seems to me that Globecast (world tv) would be better served to offer subscription service to any receiver with a CAM slot. With the limitation of the World tv boxes, I think that they would be able to increase their subs if you can sub any box (with a CAM slot).

I for one would sub to Setanta come EPL season :) Worth it for the sub, not worth it if I have to buy (and use) a seperate box

Its seems to me that Globecast (world tv) would be better served to offer subscription service to any receiver with a CAM slot. With the limitation of the World tv boxes, I think that they would be able to increase their subs if you can sub any box (with a CAM slot).

I for one would sub to Setanta come EPL season :) Worth it for the sub, not worth it if I have to buy (and use) a seperate box

I second this. Is WorldTV listening?

Is this a bus I should provide installation, and sales for?
I live in the Boston area and Im not really sure about it.

Thanks!

If your interested, mine is up for Sale.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)