Glorystar Installation and Review

bonscott87

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Thank you again to Satguys and Glorystar for the system.

The system was delivered on Saturday.
It's a pretty big box, a bit bigger then the dish itself but is less then a foot wide or so. Nice handles on the top make it easy to carry. It's a bit heavy but not too bad.

Packaging was solid and all parts appear to have been delivered.
I took all the parts out in my garage and arranged them on a table and figured out what they all were.

Put it together
Only instructions were a small one sheet paper. As I found this isn't bad to follow actually. However I came here to get the Glorystar installation guide and printed it out. My one complaint here is that this Glorystar specific installation guide really needs to be included in the package. But this is a great guide. I found the small included instruction sheet easier to follow though (parts labled and such).

Honestly it probably took me longer to get all the screws figured out then it did to actually put it together. Perhaps 15 minutes to put the dish together not including the LNBs.

NOTE: The parts in in METRIC !! So you will need metric sockets (10mm) to put this together. Luckily I dug around and found some metric sockets that I never had used before. Otherwise it would have been off to the hardware store. :)

If you've put together a DirecTV of Dish Network dish you can easily do this as it's the same concept. I did need my wife's help mounting the bracket onto the dish pan itself as the dish is quite large and it was hard holding it and pushing the screws through (I didn't think about leaning the dish against a wall). She was happy to help, it's her system afterall.

LNBs
I cannot believe how small these things are. My DirecTV ones are twice it's size. It took me longer putting together the 4 degree bracket and LNBs then it did all the dish parts. Part of the reason is I found it very tight and hard to get the LNBs properly lined up 3/4 inch from the edge of the bracket. Of course then I realized I put the LNBs in backwords and had to do it all over. :eek:

Dish Installation
I'll fill this in later. I was originally going to mount this on the roof of my garage but I decided against it for two reasons:
1) Neighbors tree getting close to blocking the signal path
2) It is a big dish and I worry about it in the wind. We get high winds quite often and even the manual suggests a pole.

So I don't have a spare pole in my yard and I'd rather do this on a tripod for flexability so I've got a tripod on order. Hopefully it will be here in a week or so and I can get the dish up and finish the install in a couple weeks (might be camping next weekend).

Anyway, I'll fill in this later. Any questions just post 'em!

Sorry for no updates. I've got the tripod but I threw my back out a week ago and I've been in pain with meds since. It might be another week until I'm up on my feet well enough to assemble the tripod.

Ok, got my tripod up and dish on it and at the spot I plan to put it.

Couple questions.

Following the install instructions I first tuned to AMC4 and ABN. Very little tweaking I'm getting 97 level and 97 quality. On LLBN the weak one I get about 60/60. I'm thinking, this is too easy.

So I swap the cable over to IA5. I notice that ABN still has about a 40 signal but nothing quality. I just note it because I figured there would no signal.

So's I tune to TBN and with a bit of tweaking I get about 75 level and only 30 quality. Nothing for the weak channel (Miracle). I swap back to ABN and I'm down to about 80/80, still very solid. Back to TBN I can't get above 30 quality.

Rain moving in so I'm done for the evening. But I'm wondering what might be done with TBN and the IA5 channels. If AMC4 is coming in so good I'm a bit leary of adjusting elevation much but that was my next target. Could it be the LNB itself needs to be tweaked? I see in the instructions each LNB can be rotated a bit or pushed in or out. It's a tight fit in the dual LNB holder so I want to avoid that if I can but obviously will do it if needed.

Thoughts?

I am happy with how close I am with little tweaking.

Did you activate the receiver using Code 2020?

Even though you are connected to the wrong LNBF (3ABN selected, connected to LNBF2), the receiver will show a Signal Level, but it will not show Signal Quality. This is because the receiver is seeing a RF signal, but not the correct signal.

Few things to check:
  • Was the reflector checked for warping during shipping prior to assembly? (Lay the reflector face down on a perfectly flat surface and verify that all edges are perfectly flat. If not follow the instructions on pages 13 -14.)
  • Skew angle set correctly on the dual clamp? Page 16
  • Skew scale visible if standing in front of the dish looking towards the reflector with LNBF1 on the right side and LNBF2 on the left? (AMC4/ Right, Galaxy25/ Left) Page 16
  • Are the white faces of the LNBF slid forward towards the reflector 3/4" (20mm) from the clamp? If the LNBFs are slid completely forward or completely back against the clamp, the signals from the two satellites will not converge properly. They must be set at 3/4" forward to locate the satellites. Page 17
Only adjust the individual LNBFs to peak the quality on either satellite if necessary (usually is not necessary).

Expect to see Quality Levels:
LNBF1 (on right side):
Channel 7, 3ABN 80% - 90%
Channel 5, Hope 70% - 80%

LNBF2 (on left side):
Channel 2, 3ABN 70% - 80%
Channel 3, Hope 50% - 60%

Call our support department if you need any help!

Thanks for the quick response. I'll be able to work on it again on Friday (I need my wife to dig a hole and trench for me so I don't hurt my back and she'll be gone tomorrow evening).

Did you activate the receiver using Code 2020?

Yep, I followed step by step the install instructions and it was the first thing I did.

Even though you are connected to the wrong LNBF (3ABN selected, connected to LNBF2), the receiver will show a Signal Level, but it will not show Signal Quality. This is because the receiver is seeing a RF signal, but not the correct signal.

Excellent. This is my first FTA system so I didn't know that.

Few things to check:
  • Was the reflector checked for warping during shipping prior to assembly? (Lay the reflector face down on a perfectly flat surface and verify that all edges are perfectly flat. If not follow the instructions on pages 13 -14.)

Yep, it was all good. It has been setting in my garage for a month though.

• Skew angle set correctly on the dual clamp? Page 16

Yep. This is going to be my first tweak to do though.

• Skew scale visible if standing in front of the dish looking towards the reflector with LNBF1 on the right side and LNBF2 on the left? (AMC4/ Right, Galaxy25/ Left) Page 16

I'm pretty sure it is. I'll have to check it. Please don't tell me I put the LNBs in backwards. :eek: I do get channels on both sats though.

• Are the white faces of the LNBF slid forward towards the reflector 3/4" (20mm) from the clamp? If the LNBFs are slid completely forward or completely back against the clamp, the signals from the two satellites will not converge properly. They must be set at 3/4" forward to locate the satellites. Page 17
Only adjust the individual LNBFs to peak the quality on either satellite if necessary (usually is not necessary).

Yep, they are as 3/4 as they can be. They are really a bear to jam into that assembly and keep the them both centered and out at 3/4" (unless I am doing something wrong).

Overall I know I'm close with just slapping it up. My plan is once I get my tripod and stand permanently in the ground then I can properly tweak and I'll start on my weak sat, IA5/G25, with elevation and azimuth as well as LNB's skew and see if I can get better.

Thanks! My wife is so excited to get this up and running. I'm thinking that members of her church may be interested in this system once they see it running. I'll send 'em your way if anyone is interested.

Try and push the IA5 LNB towards the dish a little bit. I noticed with my setup the signal went up when pushing the LNB in closer to the dish. The cool part is you can adjust IA5 skew and such without touching 101 :)

3ABN is a thunderstick (aka very strong). I can pick it up with a 18" dish :)

Attachments

• 000_0117.jpg
    000_0117.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 340
Try and push the IA5 LNB towards the dish a little bit. I noticed with my setup the signal went up when pushing the LNB in closer to the dish. The cool part is you can adjust IA5 skew and such without touching 101 :)

3ABN is a thunderstick (aka very strong). I can pick it up with a 18" dish :)

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

And yes, 3ABN was crazy at near 100% for both. Really strong. :up

I had a couple ask about something like this yesterday and the lady mentioned $199 with free install for the system and free christian stations but said the other people they knew that had it only had 4 stations instead of the 40 listed on the glorystar website. I told them about SkyAngel but she didnt want to pay anything each month as they are on a limited income. I told them they should contact the other person then but I would like to start putting them in if I can make a little bit of something off of it to cover my costs such as gas, etc. but dont see how they are getting free installation if the website says $199 does not include the install.

I would like to start putting them in if I can make a little bit of something off of it to cover my costs such as gas, etc. but dont see how they are getting free installation if the website says $199 does not include the install.
There are installers that will do free installs as a christian ministry. Some will ask for gas money and/or other costs. If you would like to install you can sign up as an installer at:
http://www.ftainstall.com
This site has been setup by glorystar. You can put indicate the area that you will install within and how you charge. You can also say what type of dish systems you are willing/able to install.
I have been installing FTA within a 10 mile radius of my house for free. Beyond that I would consider some gas money.

The Glorystar system is sold for $199 without installation. We do offer and book basic residential professional installations for $175 through our nationwide installation network or refer customers, who wish to contract and book the install themselves, to the site that wescopc posted www.ftainstall.com

I had a couple ask about something like this yesterday and the lady mentioned $199 with free install for the system and free christian stations but said the other people they knew that had it only had 4 stations instead of the 40 listed on the glorystar website. I told them about SkyAngel but she didnt want to pay anything each month as they are on a limited income. I told them they should contact the other person then but I would like to start putting them in if I can make a little bit of something off of it to cover my costs such as gas, etc. but dont see how they are getting free installation if the website says $199 does not include the install.

Ok, I've got it installed. Pretty decent signals all around although I can't get most of the weak channels to come in. LLBN has about a 15 quality which is the best I could get but it does come in. Other weak ones don't come in. I spent a lot of time tweaking everything including the LNBs (both rotation and distance from reflector dish) but couldn't get the weak ones to come in.

No biggy at this time as just getting it installed in a permanent location was first priority and the main channels my wife wants are coming in so I can try and tweak some more later (it will bug me even if they are channels my wife doesn't care about).

A reading of 15% on LLBN or no signal on weaker Galaxy 25 channels indicates a much different problem. I will guess that when you move the dish to the permanent location that when the dish is layed face down on a perfectly flat surface (glass table?) that it will be slightly clam shelled with all edges not laying flush.

Movement of the LNBFs forward or backwards of the 3/4" measurement or slightly rotating each LNBF will only change your quality reading by 10%.

A reading of 15% on LLBN or no signal on weaker Galaxy 25 channels indicates a much different problem. I will guess that when you move the dish to the permanent location that when the dish is layed face down on a perfectly flat surface (glass table?) that it will be slightly clam shelled with all edges not laying flush.

Movement of the LNBFs forward or backwards of the 3/4" measurement or slightly rotating each LNBF will only change your quality reading by 10%.

Ok, this weekend I'll remove the LNB arm and take the dish down and see if it's clam shelled.

Thanks!

Easier yet, remove only the 4 carriage bolts and nuts that secure the reflector to the Elevation Bracket. Removing the LNBF arm from the Elevation Bracket would be difficult if not impossible without disassembling the whole mount.

Ok, there was a slight, ever so slight warp and I took care of that. Now LLBN comes in at 50+ quality, ABN is down to 75 or so. So that looks to have helped a lot by evening out the signal and I'll tweak some more later to tune in as many channels as I can.

I seem to be having an issue with the receiver though. Channels on AMC4 keep going out when I channel surf a lot. Turning the receiver off and then back on seems to get them back. Ones on GA 25 are fine. Is there a known bug for this or is there a setting I'm missing?

I seem to be having an issue with the receiver though. Channels on AMC4 keep going out when I channel surf a lot. Turning the receiver off and then back on seems to get them back. Ones on GA 25 are fine. Is there a known bug for this or is there a setting I'm missing?

I've noticed something else. When this happens a little graphic appears on screen that says "PowerVu". I looked this up and it looks like it might be a pay TV service on AMC4? Strange.

There are some channels on AMC4 that use PowerVu encryption. PowerVu is a Scientific Atlanta type encryption that the use to scramble it. You need their box to decode it (its for Cable Companies) :)

I know one of the channels (either 3ABN or Hope I forget which one) on a normal FTA box scans as $$ (which usually means scrambled) but its in the clear.

Is it specific channels??

It's pretty much any of the AMC4 channels. 3ABN, LLBN, etc. My wife reported to me a while ago that it seems to happen if you tune to something on GA25. Then if you go to a channel on AMC4 then it's blank with no signal and has that PowerVu thing on the screen.

It doesn't happen all the time but within a couple minutes of channel surfing.

I thought about doing an AutoScan on AMC4 and see what turns up. If it doesn't clear the problem I can enter the Glorystar code again to get the channels back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts