Glorystar upgrade?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

theater4fun

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
U.S.A.
Hello,

So a while ago I was able to have fun playing with my parents Glorystar system. I am completely new to FTA so it was a good experience. I was able to get into the advanced settings area and do a blind scan to pick up several new channels. I don't understand all of the menu options and what they do yet but hopefully I will learn more the next time I visit.
Currently it is fixed on 97W which is fine. My parents like the channels they get.
However, my mother was interested in the possibility of getting some other channels such as retro tv, etc.

Basically, I was wondering what would be the easiest upgrade for this system. I think the receiver is the GEOSATPRO DSR200c so I don't think it has the ability to recieve all the channels out there. Would I be able to install additional LNBFS? I think this receiver also can control a motor but I don't know if that is the next best step.
What satellites/channels do you think would be good for this receiver?
My parents can get most of the network channels on OTA but they cannot see NBC so if that were an option that would be great.

Just wondering what options there are. Winter is upon us now in MN so I am not sure I would do anything right now anyway.

Thanks!

I find FTA to be an extremely flexible hobby. And the basic rule applies. The more you spend the more you get. You can invest in another fixed dish and switch to add another satellite. Or go with a motorized dish. Maybe all you want is to add 101W for the History channel, and a compact twin LNB maybe an answer. A receiver upgrade can give you access to other S2 signals and video formats. As you indicated there is time before you do anything outside so do some more reading and become more informed. You will make better decisions :)

Go with a motor because it is just as much money in the long run and you can use USALS for easy setup. There are some good HD feeds on KU band.

An easy way to get a "taste" of extra channels as Magic mentioned is to add this dual lnb mount for $5, assuming your parents bought the entire GeoSat package.
Satellite AV, LLC - Satellite Broadcaster Support and Equipment Distribution

And a second GeoSat lnb for $14.
Satellite AV, LLC - Satellite Broadcaster Support and Equipment Distribution

This will get you SES1 sat @ 101w that has The History ch, Pentagon ch, and 8 others that are not scrambled. There are 20 more ch's that are scrambled but have sound such as CNBC, Fox News, Weather Ch.

Later you can move your new lnb over to a second dish or motorized dish.

how big is your current dish? 40"
I cant speak for your receiver and its abilities,
but i did get RTV on sat 83 by simply adding another lnb and 22k ecoda switch a year ago.
If that is what you meant by retro tv...

previous posters have correctly suggested you read up a bit before deciding.
lots of great options!!!!!!

Basically, I was wondering what would be the easiest upgrade for this system. I think the receiver is the GEOSATPRO DSR200c so I don't think it has the ability to recieve all the channels out there.

The Geosatpro 200 can get any DVB channel out there. I use one to update thelist
Motor would be the easiest thing to add as the receiver can run a motor just fine

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

There are some good HD feeds on KU band
I see thats true perazzimx15l but this is for my parents and the receiver they own does not do HD. I am sure they don't want up upgrade right now as they just installed the system.

@kodaz I believe the dish is 90cm.

Actually, would this receiver be able to view the HD feeds and simply show it as standard def? Perhaps Iceberg would know this? Also Iceberg, you seem to know this receiver well. Would my parents be able to view the HD NBC feeds, RTV, History channel, etc? I checked the list and its a little confusing for a newbee, it seems some are DVBS-2 which would not work right? Otherwise, I think this receiver will work with mpeg 2 and DVB only.

Do you have any recommendation for a motor?

Thanks!

You would need a HD receiver to see HD channels. The Geosat will just show a green screen.
A HD receiver will downconvert it to work on a SD TV

as for the channels
NBC HD..no
RTV..yes
History...yes

DVB-S2 is something different. Most of the newer HD receivers can also see DVB-S2 but the channel doesnt have to be in HD (confused yet???) ;)

Thanks Iceberg, now I know no HD... I see some NBC feeds on 72W AMC6 that might not be HD? Perhaps that would work? I did more research on DVB-S2 and now I am a little less confused... wikipedia is my friend :)

There are some NBC feeds on 72W yes. Those would work too
The only drawback is they are not there all the time (the signal is there but it may not be NBC all the time)

72w is where i watched my nbc with my geopro dsr200c. gave it to my daughter this thanksgiving so my sil could have something to play with. i had the dg-280 motor from sadoun with my system and it was excellent. the only thing i had to do is keep the system level and it was excellent. charlie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)