Glossary --- Anyone can contribute....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why reinvent the wheel? Just go here :D

Progressive (image is produced in a single scan)
Interlaced (Image is produced in two scans, 1/30th second apart, each field "interlaces" with the other)
Fixed Pixel (Digital display like a pj, 1280 x 720).
HTPC (Home Theater PC)
Video Processor
DTS
DD
ProLogic
Circle Surround
Pass Through (signal goes through unaltered)
Native (Native resolution of the signal)
480i - 480 horizontal scan lines that are displayed in an interlaced fashion. This is also known as SDTV or standard definition television.
480p - 480 horizontal scan lines that are displayed progressively. This is not "High Definition", but is instead called Enhanced Definition TV (EDTV). This is the resolution that DVDs are encoded at.
560p - Same as the other "p's", a compromise for RPTV's that cannot display the full 1080i resolution.
720p - 720 horizontal scan lines that are displayed in a progressive fashion.
1080i - 1080 horizontal lines that are displayed in an interlaced fashion.
1080p
SDE (Screen Door Effect)
Rainbows (Produced by DLP devices because of the color wheel)
Scaling (What a video processor does to the image to convert it from say, 480i to 1080i)
DVHS (Digital VHS tape machine)
DTheatre (Plays on a DVHS machine)
DIY (Do It Yourself)
Composite (Yikes)
Coax
CAT-5
Faroudja (Excellent video scaler)
1x1 Pixel Mapping - When a source box containing the material (DVD, Receiver, etc) is connected to the TV at the native resolution of the TV this is 1x1 pixel mapping. This is versus doing Source Box Pass-Through, which will not map pixels one by one to each other.
8VSB - Stands for 8-level Vestigial Sideband modulation. This is the standard developed by the ATSC and is the way in which OTA transmissions are being broadcast in the United States.
Beer (A fine beverage that one consumes to feel funny) :D

HDD = Hard Disk Drive
LNB/LNBF = Low Noise Block-amplifier with Feedhorn - the "eyes" of a satellite dish.
Skew
Polarization
Elevation, Azimuth
Switch / Multi-Switch
DishPro/DishProPlus/Legacy - the types of E* reception equipment

LAZY = When folks don't take the time to type what they're saying and resort to abbreviations and acronyms.

OVERENGAGED = When folks simply don't have the time to type out everything they're trying to convey.

Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V = A great way to save time when typing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and

FTA= Free to air satellite television, receiving UNENCRYPTED satellite signals for audio and video.

M/S multiswitch

NLOS no line of sight

LOS line of sight

AZ/EL azimuth/elevation

NC/NS no call /no show

SUB subscriber

S/L slave line

IWWDTSODWIRIAHVWHROOM =
I was walking down the street one day when I ran into a hotdog vendor who had run out of mustard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)