Glow in the Dark dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

daysu47

Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
San Diego area
Pete,
Ever see the new glow in the dark paints?
I buy the powder and mix my own. The new pigments glow for hours. The blue lasts for just a little less than the green which glows for over 13 hours. I'll bet you could get the same effect with these.

I painted stars on our ceilings...It's cool to wake up at night and see them.

I buy my powder from Glonation. Their slogan is : "Because we believe you need to see something cool everyday!"

I hope that you don't mind me posting this link:
http://www.glonation.com/glowpowderpurchase2.html

I am in no way affiliated with the company. I just think they do good business. :)

My first post here, :) and it is about being different!! Mywife:confused: thinks I'm nuts but I want to do it. It, being paint my Sat. dish with "Glow in the Dark" paint!!:D

My question is, has anyone done this, and, if so, does it affect the reception??

Let me know if ya know, then I'll post pictures when done.

Thanks,
David

There are other threads on the forum, recommending how (and why) to paint dishes.
You might check them out for some advice.
For the most part, the paint is unlikely to cause any trouble, if kept to the dish.

What color were you thinking about?
Red and white striped candy-cane might be good for the season, but it's probably too late now. ;)

If you live out in the country with little or no light polution, it might be good enough to go out on a moonless night without a flashlight.
Though, it may upset your livestock. :)

If you live in the city/suburbs, your neighbors will probably just think you are nutz.

The down-side is, it may attract gunfire. :(
"Whoa, Gertie, did you see that danged flying saucer?"

I don't think you will be able to see it. In my son's bedroom we put up that paint to make stars on the ceiling. They last about an hour at high brightness. It does not get dark all at once outside and by the time it is dark enough to see the glow paint, the paint might be run down.

How about using a high brightness LED to aim at and light up the dish. You might be able to run it off the LNB voltage somehow.

suppossedly different paints have different times that they take to activate, and some of the more expensive ones claim to be able to last all night. Not having bought them, as with all other painting and fta stuff, I just gotta say, buy it, test it out, and experiment to see what works best.

How about using glow in the dark paint and a fluorescent blacklight? A real nice "outdoor" blacklight can be had from a bug zapper. (If you are skilled in electronics and electrical devices you could disconnect the high voltage zap part if you desire only the light.) Glow in the dark paint works very well with blacklight. Likely a bug zapper is gathering dust in your garage if not installed and in use near your dish. If you don't have one you could pick one up cheap in a garage sale or similar. If you are a big electronics DIY builder you might be able to build an array using UV LEDs. This could then be powered by a low voltage "Malibu" landscape system or you could even alter solar yard lights with UV LEDs.

When I put up my big dish I installed a solar light at the base of the dish and ran wires to the feedhorn to power an ultrabright red LED. You could see the glowing red light off the feedhorn all the way up the street.

Sounds like fox-tails on the car antenna, and mud-flaps. :)

The Ledshoppe carries your UV LEDs, as well as big red ones if you want to make custom automobile tail lights.

I have some outrageous USB cables with a big bright red/green/blue/white LED at each end.
Belkin sold them, and last year they were clearance through a chain of 99¢ stores, for a buck each.
Really light up a dark room! ;)
I use blue for my printer, green for the USB sat receiver, and red for an external hard drive...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts