GMAC Installed XM to Sirius Conversion?

zombie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
Hey guys and gals,
If this has already been addressed, I'm sorry. I did 2 days of google searches for information and came up with mostly nothing.

My car came with XM, but I never used it and I am used to Sirius and don't plan to pay for both services.
I have seen some equipment to make the factory HU control Sirius, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done the conversion. More specifically I'm wondering If i can reuse the antenna already installed on my roof. I would hate to have to rip it out or have 2 antenna's up there.

Last edited:
zombie said:
Hey guys and gals,
If this has already been addresses, I'm sorry. I did 2 days or google searches for information and came up with mostly nothing.

My car came with XM, but I never used it and I am used to Sirius and don't plan to pay for both services.
I have seen some equipment to make the factory HU control Sirius, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done the conversion. More specifically I'm wondering If i can reuse the antenna already installed on my roof. I would hate to have to rip it out or have 2 antenna's up there.

I know a few people who have gone from Sirius to XM but not XM to Sirius. I'm sure its possible. I think you have to install another antenna though.

minorthr said:
I know a few people who have gone from Sirius to XM but not XM to Sirius. I'm sure its possible. I think you have to install another antenna though.
Is there a fundemental difference in the antenna? Shouldnt the tuner be the main difference?

The antennas are tuned to the specific frequency that XM & Sirius use.

They will work with each other but reception will not be as good as it could be.

FYI, I am using an XM antenna on a Sirius reciever.

zombie said:
Is there a fundemental difference in the antenna? Shouldnt the tuner be the main difference?

I have heard that there is a difference that each compaines antennas are designed to optimally receive their signal. Im not saying it wont work but singal strength may not be optimal. Try it with the current antenna. If it doesnt work then you spend a few extra bucks for another one.

minorthr said:
I have heard that there is a difference that each compaines antennas are designed to optimally receive their signal. Im not saying it wont work but singal strength may not be optimal. Try it with the current antenna. If it doesnt work then you spend a few extra bucks for another one.

The cost isn't the issue, its the fact that I like the way the XM factory installed antenna looks like it belongs. Those add-ons never look right to me.. Pretty much any car kit i get would have an antenna anyway.

Last edited:
zombie this was a great question and post,i have been wondering about this myself i even talked to a GM dealer a few weeks before Christmas and they told me they could not believe how many people that had bought a GM car or truck recently that were trying to get the factory installed XM system switched over to sirius. one salesmen told me that he had lost a sale of a new GM truck to the FORD dealer down the street because it had XM factory installed,the customer had to have sirius and he did not want a plug and play unit either. sirius has gained some major momentum over XM and this is a good example.

Beagle said:
zombie this was a great question and post,i have been wondering about this myself i even talked to a GM dealer a few weeks before Christmas and they told me they could not believe how many people that had bought a GM car or truck recently that were trying to get the factory installed XM system switched over to sirius. one salesmen told me that he had lost a sale of a new GM truck to the FORD dealer down the street because it had XM factory installed,the customer had to have sirius and he did not want a plug and play unit either. sirius has gained some major momentum over XM and this is a good example.

That link that was posted for that Directed Electronics Sirius (SIR-GM1) thing looks good. I did some research and checked out the install manual on the manufacturer's website http://www.directed.com/audio/sirius/SIR-GM1-Install-Manual.pdf.
As soon as Circuit Sh%$% or Worst Buy get it in I'm gonna grab one and give it a go, looks like a cleaner solution than the one I was looking at and about half the price ($99 and less from what I've seen)..

I'll post my experience/results once they actually get released and I get my hands on one.

Last edited:
Yes it can be done and with excellent results.
Went from XM to Sirius in my '05 Sierra Denali.Swapped out the stock head unit to a Kenwood 8017 with Sirius and they were able to use the stock XM antenna,as I also didn't want a third one up there,counting Onstar too.
I have absolutely no dropouts other than what you would experience normally,i.e.in your garage or a tunnel.

ABT electronics did the install in the Chicago area.

zombie said:
I've been looking at the soundgate http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundkngm1v3.html + the Directed Sir-Ken1 http://www.logjamelectronics.com/kenwoodktcsr902.html

I had not seen this one, although waiting for technology to be available is not really something I like to do. I want it yesterday :D
I installed that exact setup in my 05 Cavalier. It hooked right up to the factory head unit. It works alittle flaky but I only listen to a few channels and only use one set of presets so it works good for that. Mine doesn't hold memory well then you switch from Sir 1 to Sir 2. Some times it changes channels itself when you go from FM to Sirius.

I bought mine from buy.com .
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201964574&loc=111&sp=1
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201955451&loc=111&sp=1

Last edited:
2006 Cadillac CTS

I am real worried. I want this GM XM to Sirius converter bad. But I have a bad feeling that it's not going to be compatible with the Cadillac radio. Does anyone have any info if this thing will work with Cadillac? Because if not, I'm going to have to step down and get an FM transmitter. Thanks.

Hollywood88 said:
I am real worried. I want this GM XM to Sirius converter bad. But I have a bad feeling that it's not going to be compatible with the Cadillac radio. Does anyone have any info if this thing will work with Cadillac? Because if not, I'm going to have to step down and get an FM transmitter. Thanks.
According to crutchfield it should work. I tried with the following options and they all said it works.

Without Bose
With Bose
With Bose + navagation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)