Gmail not working on new IPhone 6

david_jr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 7, 2007
Hancock, MA - The Berkshires
I traded in my IPhone 5 for a 6 today and when I got home I restored my new phone from a backup I made on ITunes prior to trading it in. Now none of my music is on the new phone and my 2 Gmail accounts are there but neither one works. I can see each account but neither populates, sends or receives mail. Any ideas?

I'm still struggling with getting all the settings right myself since getting an iphone 6 but I recall there is a notice sent when a new device tries to access your gmail accounts, you must acknowledge. I had to do that for my gmail account and it works fine updating often. Hopefully one the

Reactions: Foxbat
Ok I followed the security notice and clicked that it was me using the phone. I have 2 accounts, a dave account and a work account. Of course my main account is dave. Well now the work account is working and all my inbox and everything is there and I can use it. Still no joy on the dave account. Checked the settings and they are different. On the dave account it shows my server as m.google.com. On my work account it shows an outgoing mail server and says it is SMTP and it is labeled Gmail SMTP Server. There is an incoming settings that says use SSL is on and IMAP Path Prefix Server Port 993. This is not found in the settings of the dave account. I wonder if I would be further ahead to delete the dave account from the phone and try to start over? Stumped. Also anyone know a good place to go for help on such matters?

The funny thing is I can send and receive mail from my work Gmail account, but can do nothing with the Dave account. I have tried several troubleshooting tips found at different sites with no joy. Looks like a lot of people have had the same problem.

When I have mail/calendar/contact issues I find deleting the account from the phone and adding it back usually fixes the problem.

I would just say to be sure that you do not have two factor authentication set up on your personal account. If you do, you'll have to go into your google account and generate a device specific password/token as the main one you use for your account won't work for devices.

Ok I am pretty sure that I do not have two factor authentication setup on either account. Closest Apple Store is an hour and a half away so that will be a last resort. I guess I will have to try deleting the account and setting it up again. Thanks.

When I have mail/calendar/contact issues I find deleting the account from the phone and adding it back usually fixes the problem.
OK deleting and then adding the account back in seems to have worked perfectly. Now I just have to get MLB AT Bat working and I'll be set. Just deleted it and am downloading from App Store. Thanks for all the helpful help.

Ok it's been 2 years, but I just got a message from Google that I should download the Gmail app to my phone. I have been using the IOS default mail app all along. My only issue with the IOS app is that it no longer pushes email. I am curious what folks here think is better for Gmail, IOS or Gmail app, or perhaps something else? Online research for this is not definitive.

Ok it's been 2 years, but I just got a message from Google that I should download the Gmail app to my phone. I have been using the IOS default mail app all along. My only issue with the IOS app is that it no longer pushes email. I am curious what folks here think is better for Gmail, IOS or Gmail app, or perhaps something else? Online research for this is not definitive.

I briefly tried the Gmail app a few years ago but ended up switching back to the standard iOS mail app. The main reason for me is that, at least at the time, there was no way to change your default mail app in iOS. This meant that if I clicked on an email address from my contacts, calendar, or pretty much anywhere else the standard iOS mail app would open instead of the Gmail app.

The Gmail app also included ads while the standard iOS mail app did not. There might be benefits to using the Gmail app or one of the premium email apps available in the app store but the standard iOS mail app is plenty for my needs. It works well for what I use it for and I haven't found a good reason to look for another app.

I'm not a power user of email on my phone. I regularly read email on it and send quick replies for both my work and personal email accounts. If I have to type out anything important or long winded I will be moving over to my PC to use Outlook (work email) or Gmail web interface (personal email) almost every time.