Going camping but don't want to miss PPV fight. Can I take dish and receiver with me?

mako511

Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
First post here, hope it's in the right place... Have a camping trip planned but don't want to miss the Delahoya/Mayweather fight which is the same weekend. I have seen RV's with a dish mounted on a tripod of some sort and was wondering if I could bring my home setup with me to catch the fight. Is this possible? I don't plan on making this a habbit as camping is supposed to be "camping". I've just got a bit riding on the fight.:D Just need to know what I would need to make this happen. Do you need a special receiver (I have an older 301 I believe) or dish? If all else fails, I could tell the OL me and the fellas are going to town for supplies.;) Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Yes, you can do as you ask. You'll need a stand for the dish which can be made of PVC. You may also need to purchase the fight before you go as that may be one of those things that won't work if you don't have a phone line attached to the receiver (I don't know either way, just trying to think of potential problems).

Plans for a dish stand and any other questions you might have can be found by searching the forums at http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/CFB/1.cfm

I have the PVC plans on my home computer if you can't find them.

Phil

x2 on pre-ordering the fight so you can ensure you get the fight.

If not, would he be able to call Dish and order it over the phone and say his phone line is down? They can activated the PPV over the stream correct?

As for a stand, one time I just mounted it on a picnic table. Another time to the side of a tree. It all depends on the location though. If you have a clear shot and don't need to elevate the dish, then you can figure out something pretty easy.

What ever you decide to do, set it up at home at least 1 day before you want to use it so you can come back with questions. Setting it up isn't hard but it looks easier than it really is.

The other important consideration is to check the Satellite transponder listings and verify which bird the PPV channel is on so you can be sure to hit it with the dish, especially if it's a Single LNB version.

You don't have to preorder. I have purchased many many PPVs while tailgating. They just phone in the charge when you plug the phone line in back at home. That being said, there is a limit on the number of PPV's you can purchase before it calls in. I think it is somewhere around 5.

Thanks guys! I didn't even think about the phone line part. Will definitely pre-set it up before we hit the road to make sure I can actually do the setup part. :hatsoff:

Phils: Thanks for the stand link and tip! Will be making one this week.

dmmedina: Oscar still has fight in him, he's got a good upper cut if he can get in and stay close. Floyd talks a lot... but he is fast. It's a tough one but I gotta go with the fast cocky guy.

lakebum431: thanks for the PPV tip.

Some receivers will not let you order PPV without a phone line connected. I don't know about the 301, but my 501 requests me to plug a phone line on mine. Might want to check into that, better safe to pre-order.

So, who do you think will win?

Mayweather is cocky but he forgets he is moving up in weight class this is only his second fight in this class but he is fast but won't have the power in this fight.

de la hoya on the other hand won't have the speed but he will have the power, so it's your classic speed vs power.

my guess is because of his experience I gotta go with Oscar De la hoya:eek:

Remember when mayweather fought zab judah he never hurt zab but he out boxed him in the later rounds, so I can not see mayweather knocking out de la hoya.

On that same topic: does anyone know if you can order PPV from a cell phone, if when you signed up with dish you gave them a cell phone number and informed them you only had a cell phone.
jerryd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)