going from DISH to DIRECT - questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gopcs

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I have been on DISH for about 4 years. Planning to switch to DIRECTV in January, getting GENIE DVR.

Do the installers generally run new coax from the satellite dish to the "home-run location"? Seems DIRECTV will need 3 coax runs to the dish versus the 2 I have now for DISH.

Should the current satellite dish location work ok for DIRECTV? I am in Nashville area, zip 37211.

thanks

Seems DIRECTV will need 3 coax runs to the dish versus the 2 I have now for DISH.

Where DID you get that idea from??? ALL Genie installs (must) use SWM, which requires only 1 coax from the dish - as well as to ALL the receivers. All they install is a splitter at your "home run" location, which then splits the single coax out from the dish, to your receivers. (similar to a regular cable splitter)

Should the current satellite dish location work ok for DIRECTV? I am in Nashville area, zip 37211.

Most likely...but if you have LOS issues immediately to the left of your current E* dish, you could possibly have a problem...but since the D* birds are at a higher look angle, most likely you won't have a problem. The installer will (should) know after he gets there...

I have been on DISH for about 4 years. Planning to switch to DIRECTV in January, getting GENIE DVR.

Do the installers generally run new coax from the satellite dish to the "home-run location"? Seems DIRECTV will need 3 coax runs to the dish versus the 2 I have now for DISH.

thanks

My installer re-used the wiring from sat-dish to DVR location. He also re-used the mount location, and possibly the mount as well.

EDIT: to clarify, my installer ran 0 new wiring. I had to have a different installer come back and switch out the wall plates to upgrade the barrels to the appropriate ones as I was having signal issues.

Thanks to both replies! This is encouraging news. :)

Where DID you get that idea from??? ALL Genie installs (must) use SWM, which requires only 1 coax from the dish - as well as to ALL the receivers. All they install is a splitter at your "home run" location, which then splits the single coax out from the dish, to your receivers. (similar to a regular cable splitter)

Most likely...but if you have LOS issues immediately to the left of your current E* dish, you could possibly have a problem...but since the D* birds are at a higher look angle, most likely you won't have a problem. The installer will (should) know after he gets there...

Not if there are more than eight tuners in use. Then you need four cables from the dish to a swm16 switch.

Not if there are more than eight tuners in use. Then you need four cables from the dish to a swm16 switch.

Yea, well aware of that...but since you can put the switch by the dish, you would still ONLY need 2 cables max actually coming into the house. I was very confident the OP would NOT be needing this...

You're probably correct, but I wanted to make sure to cover the bases. BTW, it's my understanding, perhaps wrongly, that a swm8/16 isn't normally installed by the dish. That would depend upon the physical layout, of course. If it's on a pole, probably not a good idea.

just to clarify, "if you have LOS issues immediately to the left of your current E* dish, you could possibly have a problem", is this to the left as standing behind the dish looking toward the sky in it's direction?

I want to be able to record 5 channels simultanoeusly with the Genie DVR, so the SWM mounted at the dish can accomplish this with one coax? That's great!

Thanks

BTW, it's my understanding, perhaps wrongly, that a swm8/16 isn't normally installed by the dish. That would depend upon the physical layout, of course. If it's on a pole, probably not a good idea.

It's weatherproof & IS made to be mounted outside...so as long as it's securely mounted vertically w/the appropriate weatherproof connectors, it'll work fine...

Sure it will work, but who wants a big multiswitch zip tied to the pole? There may be instances where it's necessary, but it would be unsightly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts