Going HD Need Advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jdwdwd

Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Bought my 1st HDTV, now need to upgrade thru DTV. I've been a long time customer, so am looking for a sweet deal. I want two HDDVR's. the 2nd for my cabin. I have 4 leads at home and 2 at the cabin (both on the same account). Will I need to change dishes/LNB's? I also plan to integrate OTA local channels. Any advice and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

New dishes AND mounts are required. Switchgear for up to four tuners are included in the LNB assembly. OTA reception discussions will have to wait until after you've had at least one of the installations upgraded and you know what specific model of receivers you got.

The DIRECTV home page details the NFL Sunday Ticket promotion. Other offers are typically not all that great at this time but you'll have to ask DIRECTV what they are willing to offer YOU.

THANKS Harshness!
I'm about 50 miles south of St Louis. Just installed an Antennas Direct 91-XG unidirectional antenna. I'm getting all UHF broacast from StL as well as several others south of me. I don't understand why one receiver vs another would make a difference but given my circumstances, is there one option that would serve me best. Please note; my primary interest is the HD and DVR capabilities.

THANKS Harshness!
I'm about 50 miles south of St Louis. Just installed an Antennas Direct 91-XG unidirectional antenna. I'm getting all UHF broacast from StL as well as several others south of me. I don't understand why one receiver vs another would make a difference but given my circumstances, is there one option that would serve me best. Please note; my primary interest is the HD and DVR capabilities.

The reason is the older HR20 series receivers have two built in OTA tuners. The newer receivers don't. You have to buy an AM-21 tuner that connects to the HD DVR via a USB cable. DirecTV doesn't give those away, they are about $50.00 each. So, depending on what the installer brings you will determine what you will need for OTA. More than likely you will get an HR21 and will need the AM-21.

Buy the way, the AM-21 integrates into the receiver the same way the built in one does. OTA channels will show up in the guide, you can record them, etc.

Thanks for the explanation. Certainly worth the $ if the AM-21 integration includes all the DVR features. What do you know about the HR 23 Plus. They are available for $178 on AMAZON. If I purchase one will I avoid the receiver rental fee?

Thanks for the explanation. Certainly worth the $ if the AM-21 integration includes all the DVR features. What do you know about the HR 23 Plus. They are available for $178 on AMAZON. If I purchase one will I avoid the receiver rental fee?

Substitute LEASE for "buy". As I understand the system, only some early receivers were actually owned by users.

If you have a Costco nearby, you can "lease" one there for $169.

You really should consider the $199, or whatever the cost is, for a HD DVR as an upgrade fee. DirecTV charges the same $5/month lease fee for a receiver, be it a bottom of the line standard def box or a HR23.

If you paid extra to actually putchase a box you'll end up paying the same $5/month but now it's a mirroring fee not a lease fee.

So either way you end up paying $5/month for every box after the 1st box on the account.

OK, I am currently paying $10 for two additional receivers. That should not change when I upgrade my primary DVR to HD. Will the only additional charge (excluding one time charges for equipment etc) be for the HD service?

Can I mirror or piggy back the HD signal to an HD monitor in the kitchen?

When I order this upgrade will I be able to specify the reveiver I want?

Any opinions on the HR23?

Thanks for all the replys...

OK, I am currently paying $10 for two additional receivers. That should not change when I upgrade my primary DVR to HD. Will the only additional charge (excluding one time charges for equipment etc) be for the HD service?

That is correct, no additional hardware charges, just the HD Access charge.

Can I mirror or piggy back the HD signal to an HD monitor in the kitchen?

All the outputs on the HD receivers are active at the same time. So if you can run component or HDMI cable from the receiver to the kitchen then yes you can, not sure how long a cable run you can have before the signal degrades.

When I order this upgrade will I be able to specify the reveiver I want?
You can always say what you want and the CSR can note it on the order, but truth is you'll get whatever the installer had loaded on their truck. Best way to guarentee what you get is to work with a local retailer/installer and not the DirecTV 800 or web site.

Any opinions on the HR23?

The only option is the AM21 add on tuner for the H21, H23, HR21, HR22, HR23, no other options. And you can't order the AM21 until your account shows you have a HD receiver, unless you go to an outside source to get one.

Very useful info Rad, this forum and others like it are a tremendous help. All of a sudden I'm buying my first home computor and going HD. Very exciting yet technically challenging for an old fart. Hell I just assumed that digital signal would flow right thru my RG-6. Only have a span of about 25' from the LR to the kitchen via the basement. Will work on that later.

I'll locate a local installer before I call DTV. Feel I need to call them and "work" them for a generous upgrade package.

I was asking about opinions not options on the HR23. Just looking for the receiver that will give me the best service. How many different DTV HD DVR's are available? Which one would you choose?

Hell I just assumed that digital signal would flow right thru my RG-6.
Given enough hardware ($$$$), it can. Understand that the HD receivers don't have RF modulators in them and you can't reasonably buy a standalone modulator that does digital.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts