going HD... Recommendations (HW, programming, process)?

leejp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
I'll shortly be purchasing a modest (42~46") HDTV set to replace my begazillion year old RCA. I'm a little confused at present to what equipment I need or how to go about upgrading (it seems that existing and loyal are not priority for Dish Network).

My present setup

HW
Superdish
DP34 switch
110 Feed
119 Feed
121 Dual... need this to get free KBS America
522 DVR Receiver
322 Receiver

Programming
Digital Home Advantage America's Top 120/Locals $44.99
Additional Receiver $5.00
Dish Network DVR Service Fee $5.98
Total $55.97
~ 6 months left on a 1 year contract

My HDTV Setup (need help)
HW
Dish + Switch: Can I use the switch I have? I still want to point to 121 for KBS
Vip 622 DVR (I'll just go with one receiver since I hardly use the 322). Buy or lease?

Programming
Dish HD Silver $59.99
Locals $5.00
Dish Network DVR Service Fee $5.98
Total $70.97
This package pretty much retain all the channels I have with Americas Top 120/Locals and just adds the HD stuff... correct?

My big questions are primarily concerning HW. Can I keep my dish and switch as is and just get a new receiver (622)? Also.. I believe I am presently "leasing" my equipment. Do I return the receivers/dish/switch back to dish? How?

Also... Do I purchase the 622 or get the upgrade from Dish ($200 for existing customers)? What is the advantage of owning the equipment outright?

If you want to keep your superdish, you will need to have a wing dish pointed at either 129 or 61.5 to receive most of the HD programming. You will also need a DPP44 switch for 4 satellite locations. Call Dish directly and see what they have to say about your options. You should be able to do the $200 upgrade through the lease program. There will be a $6 lease fee added to your bill. If you own, there is no fee since you say you want it to be your only receiver.

S~

riffjim4069 said:
I just wanted to add that you may want to look at a bigger HDTV...many people often wish they went bigger. A modest 50" rear projection LCD or DLP may not be that much extra.

It's a small tight room so 40~46 will do for now. A front projector is in the future for the basement for movie night/sports events. I have still not decided on what technology I will go with... I am less impressed with size (vs picture quality), in fact... bigger screens that I've seen thus far not employing high end upsampling./scan doubling all have have crummy SDTV pictures (~75% of what we'll be watching) as the bigger screen just magnifies the flaws.

Funny... I still prefer the picture on a CRT over all the new HDTV technology (LCD, DLP, Plasma). But direct view CRTs are obviously smaller in size and rear projection CRTs have the burn in issue. I am probably going to go with a LCD or DLP rear projection set. The minimum requirement that I have isthat the set has at least 2 HDMI inputs.

I think I may just lease the 622 from Dish. I might have purchased if I could modify the unit to add a bigger harddrive but this doesn't seem to be the case. I like the new cable DVRs from Scientific Atlanta... Multi room functionality and the ability to add an external SATA harddrive... Nice!

leejp said:
Also... Do I purchase the 622 or get the upgrade from Dish ($200 for existing customers)? What is the advantage of owning the equipment outright?
I would lease -- big cost disadvantage in buying and these hi-tech items seem to become obsolete quickly.

As an existing customer, I believe you are eligible for $100 only. I just upgraded from an 811 to the 622 6 weeks ago and that was the deal then...

Don't forget to get your HMDI and Componant cables ahead of time so you can start watching right away. You can get them cheap and fast from a place like monoprice.com.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts