Going HD: rooftop antenna or DTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

leeko

Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Chicago, US
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice. I currently have standard def DTV with a 3LNB slimline dish, and am looking to move to HD. However, I'm not sure how best (and most cost-effective) to go about it.

I was originally thinking of just installing a rooftop antenna to get OTA HD locals. However, the cost of the installation would likely be around ~$200. For that price, I might as well upgrade my DTV to HDTV. BUT:

All of my TV runs through my computer, which can't capture output from the DTV box in HD - effectively, it would downgrade the signal to 480i. It CAN capture true HDTV from the OTA signals.

So, I think I still need a rooftop antenna anyway (my indoor antennas don't cut it). My questions are:

1. Does my existing dish also act as an OTA antenna? i.e. can I just hook up the coaxial from the dish directly to a TV (or my PC's tuner card)?

2. If so, would it capture ATSC broadcasts?

3. If I choose to upgrade to an HD DTV solution (which would mean a dish upgrade if I understand correctly), would the DTV installer be able to also install an antenna while he's up there? (a long shot, I know, but you never know!)

4. Anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Thank you for your answers.

Don't use the computer? Not an option!

My entire home entertainment setup goes through my PC, which is a linux (mythtv) box. It took a long time to set up correctly, but it's just about right now and I'd be loathe to bypass the whole thing... Especially given the functionality it offers.

Looks like a rooftop antenna will be the best option for me. Anyone know any good cheap installers in the Chicago area? :)

Thanks again,

Lee

Thank you for your answers.

Don't use the computer? Not an option!

My entire home entertainment setup goes through my PC, which is a linux (mythtv) box. It took a long time to set up correctly, but it's just about right now and I'd be loathe to bypass the whole thing... Especially given the functionality it offers.

Looks like a rooftop antenna will be the best option for me. Anyone know any good cheap installers in the Chicago area? :)

Thanks again,

Lee

I have wanted to do MythTV but the lack of support on Tuner Cards has prevented me. I have two Hauppauge(1-USB WinTV950-Q and 1-PCI Card(Analog only). I would like to see increased driver support newer tuners that are QAM.

I have wanted to do MythTV but the lack of support on Tuner Cards has prevented me. I have two Hauppauge(1-USB WinTV950-Q and 1-PCI Card(Analog only). I would like to see increased driver support newer tuners that are QAM.

Right now I have two QAM ATSC cards and a FTA S1 card working with myth still have not found a compatible S2 card.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)