Gonna try OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

priester68

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Natchez, MS
I'm going to try to hook up an antenna to get whatever HD or SD channels that may exist in my area. I have a HR20. What equipment (if any ) besides an antenna do I need? Can you recommend a good antenna for me to get that won't break the bank? Thanks.

Do you know if all of your OTA stations are using UHF?

The HR20 is the only one of the HR2x series with the ATSC digital tuner built in.

I would get the newer 4228 HD since it can do VHF high as well. Some stations, like my local Fox, moved back to their original VHF high signal post DTV transition.

My HR20 OTA works quite well. But, there are many factors involved when trying to get OTA. Like ERP, distance to towers and obstacles (like the hill between me and the towers:)).

And you'll need a good antenna since the HR20 has the worse OTA tuner of any D* receiver I have OTA experience with.

Surprisingly, SINCE the transition, I get my OTA channels much better on my HR20 than before, It use to be a struggle to get Detroit 50-60 miles away, some were great but others broke up, now I get them very well.

I am using an OTA outdoor antenna with a rotor and an amp.

fwiw, I NEVER had trouble getting my locals with my HR20

Well I've had the same antenna setup for years (same antenna, wires, boosters etc) and I've had a Samsung ts 160, H20-600, HR20, and AM21 all hooked up to this same setup and among these four the HR20 is the worse with the H20 being easily the best. There are some channels that I get that are marginal which has given me the ability to truly see which boxes perform best. Right now I have the HR20 and AM21 which make for easy comparisons and there are some channels that I can almost always receive with the AM21 but lots of times can't get with HR20. There was a channel that I was only ever able to get with the H20.

Note that the H20-600 I had was better than the H20-100. The 600 had a later generation tuner than the 100. But the 600 ran hotter than the 100.

Well I've had the same antenna setup for years (same antenna, wires, boosters etc) and I've had a Samsung ts 160, H20-600, HR20, and AM21 all hooked up to this same setup and among these four the HR20 is the worse with the H20 being easily the best. There are some channels that I get that are marginal which has given me the ability to truly see which boxes perform best. Right now I have the HR20 and AM21 which make for easy comparisons and there are some channels that I can almost always receive with the AM21 but lots of times can't get with HR20. There was a channel that I was only ever able to get with the H20.

Note that the H20-600 I had was better than the H20-100. The 600 had a later generation tuner than the 100. But the 600 ran hotter than the 100.

The H20-600 is the only one of the bunch with the Zenith 5th generation chipset in it. At the time it was the best on the market. There is a 6th generation one available now.

Before you jump on the 4228 bandwagon, check your locals first. According to dtv.gov, KNOE and KAQY are in the VHF band and look like you are barely in coverage with those. The CM4228 will probably not cut it since you'll need some decent gain on the VHF band.

Before you jump on the 4228 bandwagon, check your locals first. According to dtv.gov, KNOE and KAQY are in the VHF band and look like you are barely in coverage with those. The CM4228 will probably not cut it since you'll need some decent gain on the VHF band.

KNOE is on channel 8 and may be a problem, but KAQY is channel 11. The 4228 does very well on the high vhf channels. The distance alone to the transmitter may also be a problem. According to antennaweb.org, he a about 60 miles away.

KNOE is on channel 8 and may be a problem, but KAQY is channel 11. The 4228 does very well on the high vhf channels. The distance alone to the transmitter may also be a problem. According to antennaweb.org, he a about 60 miles away.

It is known the CM4228 does surprisingly well on some VHF-Hi, but for a long shot like that don't be shocked if it doesn't work. Since the guy has nothing right now, I'd go with a nice high gain VHF/UHF antenna to start out.

It is known the CM4228 does surprisingly well on some VHF-Hi, but for a long shot like that don't be shocked if it doesn't work. Since the guy has nothing right now, I'd go with a nice high gain VHF/UHF antenna to start out.

In the long run you are probably right. I have a 4228 here in CT. It works fine on channel 10, but I am < 10 miles from the towers.

My CM4228 works awesome on RF13 but down right sucks on RF9. But go to another location and the CM4228 works beautifully on RF8 at 20 miles and RF10 at 50 miles. You really never know with VHF-Hi, only one I know about VHF-Hi for DT, is I hate it! ;)

I think both pre-amp & then to a distribution amp is the way to go but if you can only choose one then the pre-amp is the way to go. Either make sure sure all your digital channels are broadcast on the UHF side or get a pre-amp that inputs or combines both UHF & VHF signals. I always thought everything was being switched to UHF but after my latest upgrade I completely learned that by disconnecting the big old VHF antenna I would be losing WBBM & WLS. A simple change in wiring brought them back but I really thought the VHF bandwidth was being used by police/fire & the like.

I would get the newer 4228 HD since it can do VHF high as well. Some stations, like my local Fox, moved back to their original VHF high signal post DTV transition.

careful with this - the 4228HD has a noticeably lesser UHF performance set, over the "old" 4228.

Also, the old 4228 is currently making it to 7 at my house, but YMMV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts