Good Books

Just read a great piece of non-fiction, Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure -- a story of the former president's road-trip from Independence, Missouri to NY in the summer of 1953, completely unaccompanied by security, it is a light read, but amazingly fun. Worth picking up. Hard to imagine an ex-president traveling like he did today.

Finished 7th Heaven. I need to go back to the library now, but until I get there I'm reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, so I'm ready for the movie in a few days.

I am now pretty much reading three books at once; crazy, I know, but in the hunt for good science fiction I came across two books,John Scalzi's Old Man's War, and Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Downloaded them both to the Kindle, and reading them bit by bit. Both very good.

I checked out the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th of the women's murder club. I'm on the waiting list for the 1st and the new one #8. Plus I'm on the waiting list for The Host by stephenie meyer, there's like 20 people ahead of me. But I have a whole week to read without many interruptions, as my two nieces are gone all next week.

tigerprowler,

Nice topic. My wife is a much better reader than I am. I am more of a technical guy and like technical books. I am reading "Solar Water Heating" by Bob Ramlow. I like Green & earth topics.

I checked out the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th of the women's murder club. I'm on the waiting list for the 1st and the new one #8. Plus I'm on the waiting list for The Host by stephenie meyer, there's like 20 people ahead of me. But I have a whole week to read without many interruptions, as my two nieces are gone all next week.

I haven't read #8 yet myself. It is next on my list. Swimsuit by Patterson was very good also! I just got The Host from my mom..she broke down and bought it! I will be starting it tonight. I'll let you know what I think.

I finished the 3rd Degree, and was so sad that he killed Jill the lawyer. I really liked her and wanted Lindsay to kick her hubby's a** for abusing her. Now I'm on the 5th one and I picked up the first one yesterday after the library called and said they were holding it for me. How is The Host going?

A book (or series of books) that I would recommend is the Nightwatch series by Sergei Lukyenanko. They are the best books I have ever read and the story blows away virtually any series of books (HP and LOtR included.) Since reading them I have not been able to find anything that compares and have decided to reread it until I can find something near quality.

The books are: Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch, and Final Watch (or Last Watch if you are in the UK). You have to read them in order as the books constantly reference back to one another (and to some very minor things and characters at some points).

If anyone here has read anything similar (Please for the love of god do not reference the Sookie Stackhouse or Twilight series...) please let me know as I need something new and similar if possible.

I finished the 3rd Degree, and was so sad that he killed Jill the lawyer. I really liked her and wanted Lindsay to kick her hubby's a** for abusing her. Now I'm on the 5th one and I picked up the first one yesterday after the library called and said they were holding it for me. How is The Host going?

I'm liking it. It's taking me longer than expected because I've been busy lately and haven't had much reading time. I will say this: Stephenie Meyer does not know how to write a short book! It isn't nearly as good as Twilight, in my opinion, but it's a good read if you are into the supernatural. She has a very vivid imagination.

I know! I wish my imagination was that good! I'm still waiting for my turn thru the library, but I have two more Paterson's to read. I just finished the 5th one today. I like his books, but I wish his chapters were longer. I tell myself that I will read just one more chapter, and I end up reading 5 - 10 more because they are only one or two pages long. I'm used to a chapter being 10 or more pages. That's the only real gripe I have about his writing. I really like the characters.

I know! I wish my imagination was that good! I'm still waiting for my turn thru the library, but I have two more Paterson's to read. I just finished the 5th one today. I like his books, but I wish his chapters were longer. I tell myself that I will read just one more chapter, and I end up reading 5 - 10 more because they are only one or two pages long. I'm used to a chapter being 10 or more pages. That's the only real gripe I have about his writing. I really like the characters.

That really bugged me about his writing when I first discovered him. I guess I have gotten so accustomed to it now though, since his are the majority of my reads, that I actually get annoyed with other books when it takes me too long to read that "one more chapter".

Yeah, I'm so excited. I'll probably go by myself to the movie.

I've started reading the 4th of July by James Patterson. I wanted to start with the first book but my library was out of the first three so I'm starting with the 4th. Kinda fitting tho given what this weekend is.
Have you seen the movie yet??:)

No, I'm hoping to go this weekend when HiFi is home to watch the kids. Probably go during nap time so he's not too mad I'm leaving him with the kids. I'm excited, I haven't gone to the movies by myself since Wild America with JTT and Devon Sawa came out.

Anyway, I have now completed 1 - 5 plus 7 of the Women's Murder Club, and I like them for sure. I'm going to start six after I finish HP6. And I checked out a couple of other Paterson books, so hopefully they are good. I really need to keep a list of the books I have read and of books I want to read. I keep going back thru all the posts looking for books I thought sounded good, but I should keep better track so I don't check something out I've already read.

I have one you can add to your list Tiger. "Bad Desire" by Gary Devon. It isn't a new release. I read it probably 10 years ago. It is an excellent book though, very suspenseful and keeps you wanting more.

Just finished two very different books - one I read; and one I listened to . The first is Harlan Coben's The Woods; an interesting mystery that ties in a little courtroom action. I listened to the unabridged audible, and enjoyed it a lot.

The second is the latest by Homer Hickam, Red Helmet - a contemporary story of a West Virginia coal mine; it was very good. And speaking of Hickam (who is the author of Rocket boys, the true story of the film October Sky), he has several great novels that take place in WW2; Keeper's Son is very good (it takes place in North Carolina in 1940-41, about dealing with German U-boats before the war); the Ambassador's Son takes place in the South Pacfic (and actually includes JFK and Richard Nixon as characters; done quite well); and then there is the Far Reaches, the third book in the Josh Thurlow series (which also takes place in the south pacific). All are good reads. I think Keeper's Son is excellent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)