Good bye to dish for now.

Toddwsu2005

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Clayton, Oh
This site has been a great help in understanding satellite, unfortunatly when I moved into my new apartment I wasn't able to get signal. So instead I'm stuck with Time Warner. Which to tell you the truth has made it pretty clear to me I was getting ripped at Dish. I get more HD channels with time warner and it's costing me less with internet bundled. I'm also not convenced that dishes HD was better looking either. Picture quality is pretty good so I'm satisfied. They also gave me this Cisco DVR that's pretty quick just short on storage.

I'm not here to bash or anything like that. Just giving a report on an alternative option I took. Dish was good, but I'm not convinced I got my moneys worth. If it comes up I can come back I would, but after seeing what I have now I hope they figure out things a bit. They can do better than being an ordinary sat. company or cable provider.

This site has been a great help in understanding satellite, unfortunatly when I moved into my new apartment I wasn't able to get signal. So instead I'm stuck with Time Warner. Which to tell you the truth has made it pretty clear to me I was getting ripped at Dish. I get more HD channels with time warner and it's costing me less with internet bundled. I'm also not convenced that dishes HD was better looking either. Picture quality is pretty good so I'm satisfied. They also gave me this Cisco DVR that's pretty quick just short on storage.

I'm not here to bash or anything like that. Just giving a report on an alternative option I took. Dish was good, but I'm not convinced I got my moneys worth. If it comes up I can come back I would, but after seeing what I have now I hope they figure out things a bit. They can do better than being an ordinary sat. company or cable provider.

Hi, the bundled packages are very competitive! When I compare what I can get from Dish or Directv with what I can get with the Bright House combo the combo beats the two satellite providers, I get more of the channels I like and there is no contract.

Later, DC

Of course the price is great during the promtional bundled price. Just wait til the promotion is up, that's when I hear people complain the most. I don't really understand the complaints when they knew it was coming.

Cable has the most competitive bundle promos but they also have the biggest price hike after the promos.

Of course the price is great during the promtional bundled price. Just wait til the promotion is up, that's when I hear people complain the most. I don't really understand the complaints when they knew it was coming.

Cable has the most competitive bundle promos but they also have the biggest price hike after the promos.

Hi Scherrman, the combo price I was looking at did not show a special promo price. To the best of my knowledge it's the normal year to year price. I have been with cable company for many years for my broadband Internet and I have only seen one small price increase.

The satellite companies on the other hand do have clearly marked promo prices that jump up after the first year.

I do not currently have any pay TV but it is clear to me the best bargain for me is my local cable company.

Later, DC

I am on the second year of a promo package right now, which is giving me now a $10 month in savings, no dvr fees and a free second hd reciever, for basically everything TW has to offer in regular digitial channels, plus I pay $13.95 a month more for 5 HD HBO channels. My total cost right now is $124 a month bundle with my high speed road runner. I have around another 90 hd channels on top of the hbo and supposedly another 5-10 coming before years end.

However the main reason I switched was for programing last year, to get the MSG's in HD (Buffalo Sabres Hockey in HD) and Yankees Baseball in HD. TW does have a vast free VOD section, their own 24 Local News Channel and their channel start over feature for many channels. The VOD will not let you fast forward any longer though, so they are forcing you to watch commericals etc.

TW has conveniently recently raised their stand alone high speed internet prices though, whereas my current "standard roadrunner" stand alone price would be $55 a month, without any video services, so they are basically forcing you to bundle and take other services.

We were actually in the same situation as the original poster... We moved into an apartment for about 4 months while our house was being built, and we enabled Dish Pause while there and used Time Warner while in the apartment and for the first month in the new house.

Honestly we moved back to Dish because TW was more expensive and didn't have nearly the channel selections. Plus the DVR from Time Warner was way outdated and at times non-responsive. I had Time Warner before moving to Dish years ago, and TW is using the same DVR as they did back then. The recording space was very limited (filled it up first week), the channel guide wouldn't go full screen and was only limited to 1.5 hours, and I could go on.

As for price, we were paying about $135 for Cable TV and Internet, but with the Top 250 package and our VIP 722 we're paying about $85/month now for Dish and $40 for Internet (still through Time Warner) which is less than we paid before. TW will offer some cheap bundles, but in most cases the costs go up after 6 months to a year.

So for us we gave TW a good 5-6 month test drive, but in the end we went back to Dish.

As for price, we were paying about $135 for Cable TV and Internet, but with the Top 250 package and our VIP 722 we're paying about $85/month now for Dish and $40 for Internet (still through Time Warner) which is less than we paid before. TW will offer some cheap bundles, but in most cases the costs go up after 6 months to a year.

So for us we gave TW a good 5-6 month test drive, but in the end we went back to Dish.

Well TW has mysteriously raised their stand alone high speed internet here to $55 a month for the standard speed. If you want the Turbo, add another $10.00. That is the second increase this year for it. It seems they must have a lot of former dish subs ready to come off promos and figure they will rap them good for internet, if they don't stay with a TW Bundle.

When I had Dish and TW for internet in early 2009, I was paying $50 a month then, but that also included the basic broadcast channels too. So in reality they have raised their internet fees $15 in about 18 months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts