Good Deal or Junk??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bloomdog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
I saw a posting on-line for a 9 foot rat shack satellite antenna for $150-still in boxes. I emailed the guy who posted the add and here's part of his reply:

"....The Memorex satellite receiver is a Videocipher II Plus but it does not have a module (indicated on the never opened box). It's number is SR - 2014 The catalogue number of the 4 packages for the 9' dish itself is Cat. # 16 - 2508"

I am getting pretty good with FTA Ku Band (if I do say so myself) but have little knowledge of C-Band, which this obviously is. Can someone break this down for me and explain what the guy is talking about?

Thanks, as always!

one man's meat is another's

Hey I don't know if I would give 150 for it (plus shipping ) It might be worth that much to somebody, but they're selling analog c-band receivers all over for nearly nothing these days. If its brand new, it might be a nice dish though.
History lesson:
Back in the olden days (late 80's, early 90's) radio shack decided to jump in the c-band stream and sold their version of a complete c-band system. The dish was a good one, but I forget who made it. I saw them in the stores a few times but they were priced out of my pocket at the time. Maybe somebody else who had one of them can tell you more. The receiver, may be c only, or c-ku but its an analog receiver. See if a motor is included too.
If it has the feedhorn/lnb included AND it's in good shape, or brand new I might offer him 75 for it and see where it goes from there! I'd want to see it first.

if you have space for a 9 ft dish it would be good, with feedhorn would be better..

the receiver like turbo said you can pick up the top end receivers for analog for shipping plust a few ... so they are worth only what you would pay... i find some of the older ones are hard to program. the newer ( old top end) most have a very basic onscreen menu. these are also used to move the big dish but you can substitute for a v-box and let your FTA receiver move the dish. also these receivers were used to view analog channels , videocipher channels ( going away) plus if it doesn't have a modual its only good for analog.

once you have a setup for digital c band you will ask yourself what took so long :)

I can't recall who made them either but I do recall that they had a not so common actuator to move the dish. I think though that it was a decent system........I only ever worked on one of them and that was probably 10 years ago. Even 10 years ago when C-band was more common I picked up quite a number of dishes for nothing, folks just wanted them hauled away. Even if it is new in box it's really not worth a lot........and as already stated, it's more the dish you want, the receiver is of limited value.

Status
Please reply by conversation.